Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad List - 26 August 2019

edited August 2019 in General Charlton
All contracts including loans end in June unless stated otherwise.

First Team Squad
Goalkeepers 

Ben Amos 2020 plus 1 year option
Dillon Philips 2021

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Naby Sarr 2020
Tom Lockyer 2021 - free transfer from Bristol Rovers
Deji Oshilaja 2021 - free transfer from AFC Wimbledon
Jason Pearce 2021
Left Backs
Lewis Page 2020
Ben Purrington 2022 - undisclosed fee from Rotherham United

Central Midfielders 

Josh Cullen 2020 - season loan from West Ham United
Sam Field 2020 - season loan from West Bromwich Albion
Jake Forster-Caskey 2020
Conor Gallagher 2020 - season loan from Chelsea
Beram Kayal 2020 - season loan from Brighton & Hove Albion
Darren Pratley 2021
George Lapslie 2021
Albie Morgan contract length not known
Attacking Midfielders/Wingers 

Jonny Williams 2020 plus 1 year option
Chuks Aneke 2021 - free transfer from MK Dons
Erhun Oztumer 2021 - free transfer from Bolton Wanderers

Strikers

Jonathan Leko 2020 - season loan from West Bromwich Albion
Lyle Taylor 2020
Macauley Bonne 2022 - undisclosed fee from Leyton Orient
Tomer Hemed 2020 - free transfer from Brighton and Hove Albion

U23 Development Squad
Goalkeepers

Nathan Harness 2020 - signed from Stevenage
Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2021 - loaned to Dulwich Hamlet until end of August 2019
Joseph Osaghae contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Right Backs

Kenneth Yao 2020

Centre Backs
Toby Stevenson 2020 (estimated)
Sam Keefe contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Luca Vega contract length not known - signed from Ipswich

Left Backs
Midfielders
Taylor Maloney 2020 - season loan to Newport County
Brendan Wiredu 2021
Ben Dempsey contract length not known
Alfie Doughty contract length not known
Jay Mingi contract length not known - signed from West Ham
Abraham Odoh - signed from Tooting & Mitcham following loan
Johl Powell contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Armando Quitirna Junior contract length not known
James Vennings contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Eddie Allsop contract length not known - youth graduate from Phoenix Sports

Strikers

Wassim Aouacheria 2020
Charles Clayden contract length not known - signed from Leyton Orient
Kareem Isiaka contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Wilberforce Ocran contract length not known

Comments

• What is interesting from reading the handbook is how many of the U18s appear to be local lads

Kai Garande is from New Eltham, Euan Williams grew up near the training ground, Mo Buhari is from Mottingham, Billy French is Sidcup born, Richard Chin went to Beths, Harry Beadle comes from a family of Charlton fans while Nathan Harvey hails from Bexleyheath.  A few others are said to be at the Harris Academy but doesn't say where they are from.  Some have joined us from the academies from Fulham and Tottenham, there are a couple from Essex and one each from Hackney and East Ham as well as one from Athlone and even exotic Southend
  • That looks much healthier than before. Pratley is 2021 btw
  • Posting this should force through the signing of a right back.

That would give us 2 per position plus 3 extras. That leaves room for Morgan to go on loan and possibly one of Lapslie and JFC.
  • edited August 2019
    What is interesting from reading the handbook is how many of the U18s appear to be local lads

Kai Garande is from New Eltham, Euan Williams grew up near the training ground, Mo Buhari is from Mottingham, Billy French is Sidcup born, Richard Chin went to Beths, Harry Beadle comes from a family of Charlton fans while Nathan Harvey hails from Bexleyheath.  A few others are said to be at the Harris Academy but doesn't say where they are from.  Some have joined us from the academies from Fulham and Tottenham, there are a couple from Essex and one each from Hackney and East Ham as well as one from Athlone and even exotic Southend
    May mean that the pond we are fishing in is getting smaller.
  • Seems we had Allsop last season. This suggests he signed a 2 year deal, though I guess it’s possible that’s since been extended.

https://www.phoenixsportsclub.co.uk/news/eddie-allsopp-signs-for-charlton-athletic-2357914.html
  • Ben Amos is also plus 1 year option, same type as Jonny Williams.

Thanks for this, we do look far healthier and stronger now. Be interesting to see who goes out on loan and to where this week.
  • Sage said:
    Ben Amos is also plus 1 year option, same type as Jonny Williams.

Thanks for this, we do look far healthier and stronger now. Be interesting to see who goes out on loan and to where this week.
    Morgan and JFC I would imagine plus, arguably, Bonne. Would think he’d want Lapslie as a regular on the bench for use as a high energy sub when needed.
  • It feels to me that the Charlton talent production line is having a blip from what I have seen of the reserves, with the possible exception of Morgan
     Is that unfair?

• Southbank said:
    It feels to me that the Charlton talent production line is having a blip from what I have seen of the reserves, with the possible exception of Morgan
     Is that unfair?

There is a lot of excitement about the current U18s.

We lost Abraham and Sacrimento from what would be the U23s plus the kid who went to Man Utd.

Plus Aribo and Konsa would still be eligible for the U23s

It's not surprising that there might be a blip when the nine year olds would have been recruited nine or ten years ago when we dropped into league one.
  • edited August 2019
    Southbank said:
    It feels to me that the Charlton talent production line is having a blip from what I have seen of the reserves, with the possible exception of Morgan
     Is that unfair?

We lost Abraham and Sacrimento from what would be the U23s plus the kid who went to Man Utd.

It's not surprising that there might be a blip when the nine year olds would have been recruited nine or ten years ago when we dropped into league one.
    The biggest reason I am impressed with the u18s start to the season. 

On aside Gomez, Grant and Dijksteel could all play for the u23s as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for your work, Henry.
  • Thanks for your work, Henry.
    @Scoham deserves the most credit, and a promote.
  • Southbank said:
     Is that unfair?

But then not all of our academy players were in primary school when we first "signed" them

Indeed there is a serious discussion to be had about whether the full academy actually makes financial sense, as many of your best youngsters will be poached before you can sign them up, and conversely there is raw talent out there that can be picked up at an older age, such as Aribo and Lookman. Or loanees like Gallagher...
  • edited August 2019
    That's Brentford's model. I still think that run correctly, by the CEO and owner that is, would be both income generating and more importantly producing players for the first team.
  • That's Brentford's model. I still think that run correctly, buy the CEO and owner that is, would be both income generating and more importantly producing players for the first team.
    On balance I'd keep the academy, but if you're not in the PL or Cat 1, there are serious structural issues in football counting against you.
  • Southbank said:
     Is that unfair?

Largie Ramazani.
  • Southbank said:
     Is that unfair?

Largie Ramazani.
    That's the one.
  • Southbank said:
     Is that unfair?

Largie Ramazani.

Is he related to @largeaddick :P
  • What’s the deadline for players going out on loan to leagues one and two?  With the squad now looking healthier, I wouldn’t mind Morgan going out and getting some experience.  Lapslie I think still has a role to play for the first team.  The one that may see his chances limited is JFC.  He might be someone who goes to a promotion candidate in League one 
  • Sponsored links: