Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chromebooks

thinking of getting a Chromebook, any recommendations or one's to steer clear of?

Comments

• I use an Asus c300s for work. 

It does everything I need as we're a google suite organisation. I'd recommend spending a bit more as it can struggle with some basic tasks despite having 4GB of ram and being primarily cloud based. 
  • thanks, was looking at the Lenovo C330
  • edited August 2019
    Would recommend buying the C330 and trialling it: https://chromebook90daytrial.com/gb/en/pages/buy-and-try/home

90 days with a money back option. EDIT Only when bought at Currys/PCWorld
  • ive got a HP Chromebook and its great. Fast speeds, sleek design, light to carry ...

Only downside is they are not compatible with Windows (So Powerpoint, Excel, Word, etc)
    You can access the Windows Office via the online versions, but can not have Microsoft Office stored on your Chromebook.
  • addick16 said:
    ive got a HP Chromebook and its great. Fast speeds, sleek design, light to carry ...

Only downside is they are not compatible with Windows (So Powerpoint, Excel, Word, etc)
    You can access the Windows Office via the online versions, but can not have Microsoft Office stored on your Chromebook.
    so if I'm right I can update/create Excel workbooks and store them on the hard drive by using the online version?
  • Has anyone got a current recommendation for a first Chromebook. Was looking at an Acer 514 as a mid range product. As usual reading reviews sends you in to a state of indecision.
  • ive got an acer - had it about 8 years - only use it for looking on the internet - very good, very fast - normally within ten seconds of turning it on you are on whatever site  you want
  • I'm on my 2nd chromebook and really like it.  

One consideration is the auto update expiration date, because your device will become junk very soon after that date.  The good thing is all your stuff is in the cloud and the changeover is seamless.

I was under the impression you get 5 years from purchase, but this is not correct apparently.  (see below) 

Each device has an Auto Update Expiration (AUE) date. We encourage you to check the AUE dates of devices before your purchase.

• Before the AUE date, devices will receive new software updates from Google.
    • On and after the AUE date, devices will not receive software updates from Google.

Important: The “End of Sale” date is controlled by the device manufacturer and isn't related to a device’s AUE date.

When your Chromebook reaches its auto update expiration date, you’ll receive a “Final Software Update” notification. You can also find this date in your Settings menu under Settings > About Chrome OS > Additional Details. From this date, you can continue to use your Chromebook but it will no longer receive security and feature updates.

• edited May 2020
    Chromebook Flip C436 Expires Jun 2028 -About £500

10e Chromebook Tablet Jun 2028 - Expect about £300
    Galaxy Chromebook Jun 2028About £999
    Here's 3 long term ones

• Sponsored links:

• Thanks @Dazzler21, I guess it is based on the old adage of buy cheap beware. It would seem that if you treat a Chromebook as, a tablet replacement, then  as a consumable product expect it to grind to a halt at some stage. If needing something more robust then go for a traditional lap top. Also buying a much larger robust tablet will be much more expensive than a Chromebook. 
  • I mean, Chromebooks are robust, they're just limited in terms of security. The three I listed will have the most up to date security and chip sets.

Build quality is fine across the ones I've used. 

• Happy with my Lenovo still. Great for browsing and keeping spreadsheets updated easily etc.
  • edited May 2020
    Work purchased loads and beefed up the centre wifi. They are like shit off a shovel and i have grown to like them for what they are, sleek, light and surprisingly robust. If you can get used to O365. Google everything and cutdowns everywhere they are worth a punt.
  • @LargeAddick and @soapy_jones how are you getting on with Chromebooks?  Are they still up to the job?  What pitfalls or clever tricks have you found out?  

One thing that I found really useful is the ability to close a tab by moving the cursor to the tab and clicking the tracker with three fingers at once.  It sounds silly, but it's a great short-cut, especially when you have as many tabs open as I do.  

Do you have any tips you've found invaluable?