Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Self Sustainability in Football

edited August 2019 in General Charlton
So I have always been a firm hater of RD and everything he has done to our club. He’s made numerous mistakes and led to me boycotting. However. I have just been reading the below: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/20/experts-warned-efl-two-years-ago-clubs-like-bolton-bury-faced/

Now don’t get me wrong this doesn’t mean RD was right all along or that I forgive him for his utter ineptitude. And I place the recent success and upturn firmly with Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen. 

But maybe, just maybe RD had the right idea when he took us over. He’s clearly got it seriously wrong but his plan, to make us self sustainable, was not a bad thing. I now look at these other clubs, Bury, Bolton etc and feel glad it’s not us. Let’s be honest we were in a bad way after the Cash/Jimenez debacle but now we are probably one of the more healthy clubs in the Championship. 

Im actually glad he hasn't thrown money into us and I’d take our position now over most. 

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    "SELF SUSTAINABLE!" He's built £60m of debt FFS.
    And wants someone else to pay for his mistakes, get it all back, thus pricing us out of the market.
  • Options
    Onto something ? The man who hasn’t been to a match in years, repeatedly slags off fans and denies staff their bonus payments. 
    Owner of the year material, he isn’t.
  • Options
    Hello. Who are ya?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    No, he's not onto anything, but...in some ways I have to grudgingly agree there is an element of truth in this post, why shouldn't all clubs outside The Premier League be looking to break even? If all clubs broke even then spending becomes a lot more balanced and sustainable and teams like Derby and Fulham don't throw money they don't have on players to gamble on promotion. We gambled in 2007/08 to get an instant return to the Premier League, it failed and resulted in relegation to League One in 2009.

Of course we'd all love RD to sanction Bowyer millions to spend but it comes back to the same argument seen on many posts about RD and football owners in general. Who would own a football club when the fans demand you to spend your own wealth - but not theirs, as the saying goes it's great spending someone else's money until it runs out. And who would be willing to be a football owner to answer that call and make heavy losses year after year?

Unfortunately in some ways while a break even approach can be admired, the rest of the league aren't playing by those same rules and the longer he owns us and continues this approach RD's luck will run out again one day.
  • Options
    He's not wrong when he says football's finances are screwed. It's true and everyone knows it.

He is wrong in that he thinks he can beat it. He can't.
    Perfect summation of the situation. Nothing more to be said.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    Cant believe the pathetic arguments on here. It's like being in amongst a group of school girls. For what it's worth I think Robinson is a good appointment and he gets my support. Even if the regime is shit it shouldn't affect anyone's support for the team. Especially on Match days

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    So depressing reading more and more of this type of thing.

A few wins and people are quick to forget. The gullible fools.
    I haven’t forgotten and I’m not praising him. So many people are completely missing my point, or maybe I didn’t communicate it clearly enough. I said he’s got it wrong. But his ‘idea’ of self sustainability wasn’t a bad idea. He just never managed to put it into practice because he’s an idiot.

And also to the other posters I know he has run up 60 million. But what I mean is I’m kind of glad now that he didn’t throw obscene transfer fees and wages at people in a desperate attempt to reach the premier league. Imagine he had, we would now be sitting on far worse debts and in much deeper trouble. 
  • Options
    "SELF SUSTAINABLE!" He's built £60m of debt FFS.
    At what point did I say it had worked?? I said that was his idea. Cantersaddick had it right when he said that’s impossible nowadays in football. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Champs85 said:
    Cant believe the pathetic arguments on here. It's like being in amongst a group of school girls. For what it's worth I think Robinson is a good appointment and he gets my support. Even if the regime is shit it shouldn't affect anyone's support for the team. Especially on Match days

Did he really say that when Karl was appointed? WOW!!! So glad you're that sad as to dig it up to prove, well, nothing.
  • Options
    There are three main reasons why we have done so well over the last 12 months, Bowyer, Gallen, Jackson.

Like all of us we hope, more than expect, the good results to continue but, be in no doubt, the core problem remains - he needs to sell for a realistic price and probably no better time than now.
  • Options
    To be honest I doubt many fans were anything other than heartened to hear the club had ambition for the Premier League but would build in a sustainable way.

That all collapsed when we realised 'sustainable' meant selling your best players whilst in a relegation dogfight and forcing the manager to play Sunday league players in their place.

Zero ambition has been shown beyond the unique proposition, meaning weird, Meire espoused in Dublin. 
  • Options
    I suspect what has happened here is people were just triggered by the thread title before reading the post and taking it in.....

The point being that the idea of trying to build a sustainable football club is good in reality.

But unfortunately it is likely an impossible deal nowadays and Roland’s cockwombled approach to trying to achieve it was never gonna work.

Thats why the dream owner for football fans like us is a billionaire from something like oil where the money rolls in easily for them - but really football is a glorified version of champ manager for them where they can just throw millions at it....

We have found ourselves at one extreme end - but I’ve always said that if (or hopefully when!) we get a new owner, we don’t want to end up like a Bristol City, Brentford etc down the line. Which IMO is gonna be another fucked club of the Bolton ilk.
  • Options
    One half decent transfer window, in how many?

Lets see what he does in January.
  • Options
    One half decent transfer window, in how many?

Lets see what he does in January.
    Don’t think this thread has any link to what he did / didn’t do in this window and what’s been done in the past.

• Options
    I suspect what has happened here is people were just triggered by the thread title before reading the post and taking it in.....

The point being that the idea of trying to build a sustainable football club is good in reality.

But unfortunately it is likely an impossible deal nowadays and Roland’s cockwombled approach to trying to achieve it was never gonna work.

Thats why the dream owner for football fans like us is a billionaire from something like oil where the money rolls in easily for them - but really football is a glorified version of champ manager for them where they can just throw millions at it....

We have found ourselves at one extreme end - but I’ve always said that if (or hopefully when!) we get a new owner, we don’t want to end up like a Bristol City, Brentford etc down the line. Which IMO is gonna be another fucked club of the Bolton ilk.
    Yeah maybe I shouldn’t have used that thread title! 
  • Options
    Out of interest does anyone know our wages to revenue %? That article certainly paints a scary picture 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Champs85 said:
    So I have always been a firm hater of RD and everything he has done to our club. He’s made numerous mistakes and led to me boycotting. However. I have just been reading the below: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/20/experts-warned-efl-two-years-ago-clubs-like-bolton-bury-faced/

Now don’t get me wrong this doesn’t mean RD was right all along or that I forgive him for his utter ineptitude. And I place the recent success and upturn firmly with Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen. 

But maybe, just maybe RD had the right idea when he took us over. He’s clearly got it seriously wrong but his plan, to make us self sustainable, was not a bad thing. I now look at these other clubs, Bury, Bolton etc and feel glad it’s not us. Let’s be honest we were in a bad way after the Cash/Jimenez debacle but now we are probably one of the more healthy clubs in the Championship. 

Im actually glad he hasn't thrown money into us and I’d take our position now over most. So thanks Roland. I think. 
    Hello Mr Driesen and welcome to Charlton Life.
  • Options
    Let's be honest whilst the current league position is beyond anyones expectations and we have our best squad for years, it doesn't hide the fact we're a club with no senior management, a bunch of loans and most of the rest of the squad on 1 year deals.

Absolutely none of where we are currently is down to Roland, he got extremely lucky stumbling upon Bowyer and Gallen. I dread to think where we'd be without those two, but i'd guess it'd be the bottom half of league one playing in front of 7k crowds.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:

Yeah maybe I shouldn’t have used that thread title! 
    Still time to edit it.

But it a false argument

IE "He's not as bad as these really bad owners at Bury and Bolton so maybe let's give him some credit".

But he's still bad, everything Bowyer is doing is despite his bad ownership, not because.

Three games unbeaten and some people lose all sense of perspective.

Duchatelet also lies. He talks about breakeven but lost £13m getting relegated.

That the debts aren't far worse than £65m is only due to academy player sales, the academy that was in place and successful before he came and which signed players outside of Duchatelet and Driesen's ridiculous system.

But Duchatelet then pulled the plug on the training ground rebuild, despite this spend being outside FFP so stopping the academy getting cat 1 status that would have protected us from poaching.

The man is a walking disaster zone, he's not on to anything.
  • Options
    Let's be honest whilst the current league position is beyond anyones expectations and we have our best squad for years, it doesn't hide the fact we're a club with no senior management, a bunch of loans and most of the rest of the squad on 1 year deals.

Absolutely none of where we are currently is down to Roland, he got extremely lucky stumbling upon Bowyer and Gallen. I dread to think where we'd be without those two, but i'd guess it'd be the bottom half of league one playing in front of 7k crowds.
    And that’s part of my point. But I probably didn’t convey it very well in my original post. I’m not suggesting he’s succeeded or done well, I’m saying his idea when he first took us over might have been a good thing. Unfortunately it was never going to work in today’s climate. Reading that article has made me realise just how in trouble football is going to be in the coming years. 
  • Options
    Nice try Thomas
  • Options
    The thing is, Two Chalets took us over when the EFL was making loud noises obout Financial Fair Play. He thought his network would give him an advantage, with the ability to transfer players between clubs, like the Watford owner had done.

I distinctly remember Airman at the time saying that he thought that FFP would be unenforceable. He was proved to be correct.

Then the rules were changed about the maximum number of loans, completely pulling the rug from under his feet.

None of this detracts from his failure to correctly finance the club for the last 3 years, in his Quixotic attempt to tilt at windmills.
  • Options
    @Champs85

What makes you think he is the only owner who would like to operate a financially sustainable model? 

That kind of nonsense only reinforces his delusion that he is some kind of genius that can see things other cannot. That was the story of his venture into politics too. He pretends he invented the "basic income" policy. In fact it has ben considered in many countries, and even experimented with in Finland but nobody has really found a way to put it into practice without unleashing economic and social chaos. 

The last phrase of that sentence of course sums up the last five years of CAFC.
  • Options
    I hate the geezer with a passion but I was thinking the other day what is the going price now for a Championship club ?