Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Gold, 30 years old today

Comments

• clive said:
    rikofold said:
    clive said:
    Congrats. Looking forward to restoration of ticket priority for those of us who have hung on in there (latterly against better judgment at times).
    What part of ticket priority would you like restored ? As a member of Valley Gold & supporter with 800 loyalty points do you think you should be ahead of 10,000 season ticket holders & other regular away supporters in the queue for Fulham/QPR /Brentford & Millwall away tickets.
    As has been mentioned on the Reading ticket thread there are anomalies with the loyalty point scheme & Valley Gold which could be solved with a bit of tweeking with the ticketing system but in my opinion for £120 per annum the priorities for Valley Gold members should not be the same as they were 30 years ago.Maybe Valley Gold should increase the price of membership if they think that members should enjoy the same ticket priorities as when the scheme started.
    Or maybe the club sees it as fair enough for sponsorship that over 30 years has literally been in the millions, and not least because priority has been a long standing benefit. 

What's changed is the fans forum request to recognise the loyalty of regular away supporters in the priority scheme. VG is not recognised in the ticketing system as a club membership - because it isn't one, and for GDPR it keeps it separate from the club's privacy policy.  In this state loyalty points can't be applied, so it's simple binary logic for priority.

We're looking into how we can work with all these constraints and fulfil conflicting requirements to restore a level of priority, but actually it's correct it's not an advertised benefit - it is, however a long established practice that we don't want to lose, not least because it is an incentive for which people join VG. 
    When the loyalty point scheme was being set-up the club invited supporters to attend meetings with the ticket office staff to discuss how the scheme was going to work,as i have mentioned previously myself & a member of the C.AS.T committee attended one of the meetings,why didn't you or somebody from Valley Gold attend the meeting?
    Before the meeting i posted a thread on this forum asking people if they had any  for ideas/suggestions which i could put forward,which i then did at the meeting,Valley Gold was discussed at length at the meeting because i could see problems some Valley Gold members may suffer in the future.I learnt  that Valley Gold get an influx of new members paying £30 before games when tickets are going to be on restricted sale,after they get their tickets they then leave Valley Gold.
    Why has the loyalty point system suddenly become an issue? Why should loyal supporters like me who attend matches home & away costing thousand of pounds have to pay an extra £120 to subsidise a mad Belgian billionaire just to guarantee getting a ticket at AFC Wimbeldon?
    Were there any games last season when Valley Gold members missed out on tickets? Do you foresee any games this season when Valley Gold members fail to get tickets?
    I notice on the Valley Gold website you are on the  committee as supporters representative,who elected you or how did you get in this position.
    Last point first, VG is a standalone entity regulated by the Gambling Commission. It's not a democracy, but the committee seeks to nominate individuals who command an obvious representation and who they believe will fulfil the role of representation effectively, which includes availability during working hours. In my case my then role on the CASTrust board demonstrated the former (and I still effectively account to the board for that purpose). 

The main focus of the role is to make the scheme a success with regard to its legally defined objects, primarily providing funds for the academy. It isn't a member representative role as the title may suggest, but one that provides a necessary balance with club representatives. Rules etc. are all available on the website. 

There is no minimum period for VG membership, it's £10 a month and you're a member from the point you join. To balance the object of the scheme with being broadly fair, we do not allow ticket priority without a 3 month commitment. It is only available whilst you're a member, so you only get priority for 3 months if you then drop off.  This eligibility limitation is of course true for discounts etc, but to put this into context the season ticket discount is only £15. 

VG never afforded top priority for tickets. Throughout the scheme's existence, to get top priority it must be combined with, for example, ST holding or similar. 

You don't have to pay £120 a year to get a ticket to AFC Wimbledon. It's been a benefit of membership for 30 years, but no-one's twisting your arm to join if you don't want to. 

I've said it before, but it's also not doing anything to offset RD's losses. For a couple of years now - thanks to your friendly neighbourhood supporter representative - money goes specifically to projects outside of the Academy budget. Without the money they wouldn't happen. The budget is not reduced because we sponsor projects.

To my recollection I wasn't aware of the discussion on loyalty points, nor was I directly invited, which is why I wasn't involved. It's possible Sharron was, but she's not directly responsible for the limitations of the ticketing system deployed either. 

It's not really a huge issue now, but this season the club has carried over loyalty points from last year, which means as Rick pointed out you could potentially have bought an u11 half ST and trump someone who's paid £120 into VG for 30 years. 

We're discussing it with the club, as I've said, to find a workable resolution. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    rikofold said:
    clive said:
    Congrats. Looking forward to restoration of ticket priority for those of us who have hung on in there (latterly against better judgment at times).
    What part of ticket priority would you like restored ? As a member of Valley Gold & supporter with 800 loyalty points do you think you should be ahead of 10,000 season ticket holders & other regular away supporters in the queue for Fulham/QPR /Brentford & Millwall away tickets.
    As has been mentioned on the Reading ticket thread there are anomalies with the loyalty point scheme & Valley Gold which could be solved with a bit of tweeking with the ticketing system but in my opinion for £120 per annum the priorities for Valley Gold members should not be the same as they were 30 years ago.Maybe Valley Gold should increase the price of membership if they think that members should enjoy the same ticket priorities as when the scheme started.
    Or maybe the club sees it as fair enough for sponsorship that over 30 years has literally been in the millions, and not least because priority has been a long standing benefit. 

What's changed is the fans forum request to recognise the loyalty of regular away supporters in the priority scheme. VG is not recognised in the ticketing system as a club membership - because it isn't one, and for GDPR it keeps it separate from the club's privacy policy.  In this state loyalty points can't be applied, so it's simple binary logic for priority.

We're looking into how we can work with all these constraints and fulfil conflicting requirements to restore a level of priority, but actually it's correct it's not an advertised benefit - it is, however a long established practice that we don't want to lose, not least because it is an incentive for which people join VG. 
    When you go back to the club will you be suggesting that all Vally Gold Members are treated the same. I.e those who pay £30  are the same as the long term members?
    Its always been that way and month by month if you pays your money you gets your benefits. It's about eligility rather than loyalty. 

Actually ST holders wouldn't moan about priority because theirs has always been top tier, although sometimes it's been trumped by those who are VIPs, VG members or whatever. And under the new scheme they get a job lot of loyalty points that the current system implementation can't support for VG.

I'm not arguing VG should have top priority but one that recognises that it's a commitment to something of value to the club. Arguments about whether it's of more value than a regular away supporter or a half ST for an U11 won't ever meet with unanimity, and we also have to balance what's best for the scheme with what the club's current marketing activity prioritises. It's an art rather than a science, but I can assure everyone that these kinds of things are under continual review and discussion - if a little constrained by club business cycles (and particularly football seasons).

By the way, as an aside, our commitment is to the development of all players at the academy, of all ages. This is true whether they go onto a long spell at the club, are sold within 2 years, or are released. Our interest from the scheme's perspective ends when they leave the academy.  It would be great if all the players succeeded and we never needed an incoming transfer again, but our focus is simply to give Steve the tools and the kids and their coaches the very best chance. Yes RD could fund trips to Argentina, but he's not - so we're able to step and up transform their learning. 
  •  Club seeks your opinion on loyalty scheme

By Friday morning:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/82108/club-seeks-your-opinion-on-loyalty-scheme

https://cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b02f0698949f/charlton-fan-feedback-required-on-new-loyalty-scheme

Suprised that you were unaware of the meeting when it was castrust that started the original thread about the scheme & meeting in the first place.

• clive said:

Club seeks your opinion on loyalty scheme

By Friday morning:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/82108/club-seeks-your-opinion-on-loyalty-scheme

https://cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b02f0698949f/charlton-fan-feedback-required-on-new-loyalty-scheme

Suprised that you were unaware of the meeting when it was castrust that started the original thread about the scheme & meeting in the first place.

I've not been on the board for at least a couple of years now. I don't read everything they post and I wasnt directly invited. Not sure what your point is - are you saying I'm lying? To what end?

It doesn't change where we are or the fact that even if I'd been at the meeting I doubt I'd have anticipated the situation that arose at the beginning of this season - no-one else seems to have either. All I can do now is manage what's in front of us. Right?

Just spotted H has made the same point.
  • Clive, I was fully aware of the consultation and provided my attending Trust colleague with thoughts at the time. What was NEVER made clear to me then - and seems to have only become apparent over the Reading priority - is that anyone with VG but not a ST now falls behind everyone who has had a ST for two consecutive years. Yet no account is taken of VG longevity. I feel strongly that that is very unfair on long-term VG members who don't have a ST for a variety of reasons - in my case because I live nearly 500 miles from The Valley. I have no issue with regular away fans being given some recognition, but so too should long-term VG supporters. 

So are we saying vg holders who have been for 2 years should come in at the same level as a season ticket holder for 2 years
  • edited August 2019
    It seems to me that there are maybe 2 main issues re ticket priority, that need addressing and both are about "playing the system".

Adults buying U11 S/Ts in order to reap benefits and fans taking out VG for 1/3 months in order to reap benefits.

I can't be bothered to work it out, but is it possible to make a profit on taking out VG for 3 months & then cancelling.
    Ie by discounts on S/T and shop purchases ?
  • Any sort of priority system is always going to be full of potential pitfalls/issues to begin with.

If you move it for one section another will feel hard done by. Is there any sort of priority for 27 year season ticket holders? Or am I lumped in with those who've only had them for 2 years...... at reduced rates! I'm a lower priority than someone who has just bought their second season ticket and has been in VG for 3 months.......

I seem to recall that for ST's it was going to be a 2 year rolling cycle, maybe they should do the same for VG starting at the beginning of last season (like the ST's) and give 10 points a month or similar?

I think that's the only fair way really, give VG members points each month backdated to last season.

That said I don't think it will raise VG up the ladder much but would mainly help VG members who are fairly regular attendees, is that even possible with data available to the club?

• Rob7Lee said:

Any sort of priority system is always going to be full of potential pitfalls/issues to begin with.

If you move it for one section another will feel hard done by. Is there any sort of priority for 27 year season ticket holders? Or am I lumped in with those who've only had them for 2 years...... at reduced rates! I'm a lower priority than someone who has just bought their second season ticket and has been in VG for 3 months.......

I seem to recall that for ST's it was going to be a 2 year rolling cycle, maybe they should do the same for VG starting at the beginning of last season (like the ST's) and give 10 points a month or similar?

I think that's the only fair way really, give VG members points each month backdated to last season.

That said I don't think it will raise VG up the ladder much but would mainly help VG members who are fairly regular attendees, is that even possible with data available to the club?

Its a good idea Andy, details need working out - members are eligible for benefits when they're paid up, we don't award prizes pro rata after all - but I'll put it forward and see what's possible. 
  • edited August 2019
    It seems to me that there are maybe 2 main issues re ticket priority, that need addressing and both are about "playing the system".

Adults buying U11 S/Ts in order to reap benefits and fans taking out VG for 1/3 months in order to reap benefits.

I can't be bothered to work it out, but is it possible to make a profit on taking out VG for 3 months & then cancelling.
    Probably.  Well worth joining! 

Edit. Yeah, but it's a false equivalence. Adults using U11 STs are defrauding the club. VG members making use of their membership benefits is entirely legitimate.

It seems to me that it's non-members complaining about VG ticket priority. It's open to anyone to join and enjoy ticket priority, discounts, and the chance to win cash prizes and unique experiences. If you're a regular traveller you'll enjoy the added priority. Whilst you're a member you'll enjoy the benefits, when you stop you won't. 

Those claiming that £120 is too cheap to deserve the benefits don't appear to be prepared to spend it themselves but seem to want to deny those who do benefits that have been part of the scheme for 30 years.

The scheme was founded to get us back to the Valley. It was subsequently redirected into what has been a very successful academy for a long period of time. Personally I think those prepared to back it deserve the benefits they receive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• By the way, many VG members are also ST holders, and even those that aren't will attend games regularly at the Valley.

The idea that because a season ticket costs more than VG membership it's worth more ignores that VG is very often on top of seeing the team play.  It's an extra cost, not an alternative one to attending games.

Ask yourself - someone who regularly buys a ticket, or bought a season ticket, and is also a member of VG at £120 a year - should they have the same priority as a non member?  The higher priority has frequently  been to ST holders who also have VG, then to either. I think we're missing the point a bit here.

Anyway, this thread is about celebrating 30 years, not whinging about its members 😉
  • rikofold said:
    By the way, many VG members are also ST holders, and even those that aren't will attend games regularly at the Valley.

The idea that because a season ticket costs more than VG membership it's worth more ignores that VG is very often on top of seeing the team play.  It's an extra cost, not an alternative one to attending games.

Ask yourself - someone who regularly buys a ticket, or bought a season ticket, and is also a member of VG at £120 a year - should they have the same priority as a non member?  The higher priority has frequently  been to ST holders who also have VG, then to either. I think we're missing the point a bit here.

Anyway, this thread is about celebrating 30 years, not whinging about its members 😉
    Hopefully it's just a case of agreeing with the club the points value for VG members to get them 'up the table'. 

Be interesting to hear the outcome and good luck with the negotiations! I'm around if you need a wing man  B)
  • rikofold said:

Edit. Yeah, but it's a false equivalence. Adults using U11 STs are defrauding the club. VG members making use of their membership benefits is entirely legitimate.

It seems to me that it's non-members complaining about VG ticket priority. It's open to anyone to join and enjoy ticket priority, discounts, and the chance to win cash prizes and unique experiences. If you're a regular traveller you'll enjoy the added priority. Whilst you're a member you'll enjoy the benefits, when you stop you won't. 

Those claiming that £120 is too cheap to deserve the benefits don't appear to be prepared to spend it themselves but seem to want to deny those who do benefits that have been part of the scheme for 30 years.

The scheme was founded to get us back to the Valley. It was subsequently redirected into what has been a very successful academy for a long period of time. Personally I think those prepared to back it deserve the benefits they receive. 
    I am a member of Valley Gold & have been for most of it's 30 year existence joining it on it's opening day at Sparrows Lane,so i hope you are not referring to me.Also Valley Gold is not open to everyone,what about under 16's or people of religious faiths which forbid them from gambling.
    As a person who has attended nearly every game game home & away for over 40 years & hope to continue to do so.
     It seems  some people who are supposedly meant to represent fans in various Fans groups CAST,Valley Gold etc are totally out of touch with the paying members of those fan groups.
    No doubt as a Valley Gold committee member you are not allowed to enter the prize draws & as you've previously stated no longer a season ticket holder so financially contribute very little to the club.
    How many loyalty points have you got?
  • Season tickets seem to be  devaluing steadily as a means of getting ticket priority. 

• The ticket priority thing is all a bit hypothetical for most games its not as if we have an away following of thousands.

The last time I think I took advantage of any priority queue jumping was to get on the airplane for a mid-week cup game away to Middlesbrough that was also shown on the TV. I don't think there were too many who wanted to attend that didn't. 

Also look at our last away match, there was so much spare space you could have taken along a sun loungers for yourself and your mates. 

• edited August 2019
    clive said:
    rikofold said:

I am a member of Valley Gold & have been for most of it's 30 year existence joining it on it's opening day at Sparrows Lane,so i hope you are not referring to me.Also Valley Gold is not open to everyone,what about under 16's or people of religious faiths which forbid them from gambling.
    As a person who has attended nearly every game game home & away for over 40 years & hope to continue to do so.
     It seems  some people who are supposedly meant to represent fans in various Fans groups CAST,Valley Gold etc are totally out of touch with the paying members of those fan groups.
    No doubt as a Valley Gold committee member you are not allowed to enter the prize draws & as you've previously stated no longer a season ticket holder so financially contribute very little to the club.
    Wow, am I not a true fan because my loyalty points aren't as big as yours?   Righto. 

The suggestion that Valley Gold isn't open to everyone because some may decline to join is just silly. It's open to them, they may not be open to joining.

So help me understand how I'm out of touch with the paying members (there's no other class) of Valley Gold. Seriously, because you seem to have access to 1800 other fans that I don't. Where am I going wrong?

PS. In the last 12 months it's cost me nearly £10k to be on the VG board. That enough loyalty for you? 
  • rikofold said:
    clive said:
    rikofold said:

Wow, am I not a true fan because my loyalty points aren't as big as yours?   Righto. 

The suggestion that Valley Gold isn't open to everyone because some may decline to join is just silly. It's open to them, they may not be open to joining.

So help me understand how I'm out of touch with the paying members (there's no other class) of Valley Gold. Seriously, because you seem to have access to 1800 other fans that I don't. Where am I going wrong? 
    So under 16's can join Valley Gold?
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    rikofold said:
    clive said:
    rikofold said:

Is there a specific point you're making or just determined to win a silly argument?

Anyone 16 and over are free to join the scheme, below that they are not permitted by law. This isn't a VG specific constraint.  Even those of religious persuasion who may not want to join are more than welcome if they change their mind.  The scheme is open to anyone, subject to the legal restrictions on kids. 

Or do you think kids should be able to join? 
  • rikofold said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    rikofold said:
    clive said:
    rikofold said:

Is there a specific point you're making or just determined to win a silly argument?

Anyone 16 and over are free to join the scheme, below that they are not permitted by law. This isn't a VG specific constraint.  Even those of religious persuasion who may not want to join are more than welcome if they change their mind.  The scheme is open to anyone, subject to the legal restrictions on kids. 

Or do you think kids should be able to join? 
    No I was just confused when you stated it was open to everyone when I always assumed that was not the case.
  • He's gone, I've rejoined and never been happier to pay my subs.

Be nice if everyone can lump on Jackpot tomorrow as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• BDL said:
    He's gone, I've rejoined and never been happier to pay my subs.

Be nice if everyone can lump on Jackpot tomorrow as well.
    Likewise!
  • who do i email to rejoin
  • thanks rikofold , I’ve signed up and paid .

• Thanks all 
  • got my old number back ! 744 
  • Rejoined yesterday.

Now where do I complain about priority points? : - )
  • One of you will tip us over the 2000 members mark...
  • Just rejoined having left the scheme in January 2016 in protest at the ownership. Delighted to once again be supporting the development of young talent for our football club.
  • RDG said:
    Just rejoined having left the scheme in January 2016 in protest at the ownership. Delighted to once again be supporting the development of young talent for our football club.
    As I said, me too.  When I stopped I sent a note to Sharron explaining why we were reluctantly doing so.  When I rejoined last week got a really nice message from her and she even gave us our old numbers back.