Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland this transfer window

Comments

• Options
    Fuck all apart from turning down the bids for Taylor.

The credit for signings goes to Gallen and Bowyer.
    Yes it does, but as much as I hate to say it, Roland has clearly given Bowyer the Dijksteel money which none of us thought he would
    Given nothing, and cost him nothing.

A combination of players off the wage bill, plus the Dijksteel transfer fee.

• Options
    It's fair to say it's been a considerably better window than I expected.

Bowyer and Gallen and everyone else involved has done very well under the restrictions they work.

but..... it’s a squad built on loans, top players like Taylor will be gone by the summer or earlier as we won’t pay competitive wages. You can’t rely on Bowyer pulling off a miracle every single year, sooner or later he’ll also be gone as his stock rises, then what?

as I started, I’m pleased with how it’s gone so far, but longer term it’s an Elastoplast on a gaping wound.
  • Options
    I get the feeling that the last CARD statement may have influenced RDs support of Bowyer/Gallen somewhat during the last transfer window.
  • Options
    have we really got the lowest budget in the league ??....looking at our squad now.

or is LB just tempering expectations somewhat
  • Options
    have we really got the lowest budget in the league ??....looking at our squad now.

or is LB just tempering expectations somewhat
    I do believe we have. Pleased as I am with the squad, it is all smoke and mirrors to help Rolly sell the club. It is as important as ever that he goes, and very soon. Take out the loan players and those whose contract ends next year, which includes Hemed, then there is bugger all left for next season.

As I said earlier, you cannot keep repeating the trick of bringing in loans. We need a new owner to come in so we can try and get the likes of Taylor to re-sign and to open up discussions with Cullen (who I think is in his last year with WHU), and most importantly, get Bows on a good contract before he is poached.

If we don’t get real stability soon I really think the future is bleak.

I am looking forward to the season and am going to make the most of it.

• Options
    I wonder if, and its a big wonder, if RD has suddenly got a sniff of the Holy Grail and potential big money after realising that maybe he has stumbled across a management team that provides something bigger and better than others before them? 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day ... turning down 4 million quid for Taylor was UNPRECEDENTED, a complete switch, a complete change, something totally new and you just never know it could mean we are in with a real chance of mid table... 

• Options
    No credit whatsoever. 
  • Options
    I wonder if, and its a big wonder, if RD has suddenly got a sniff of the Holy Grail and potential big money after realising that maybe he has stumbled across a management team that provides something bigger and better than others before them? 

In my opinion, no. I think if that was the case he would have kept Dyksteele.

If he thought he was in with a chance he would have kept him and chucked in another £2m.
  • Options
    No credit at all to the owner. He could blow the max permitted EFL budget on players and contracts and still be massively in the red with his cynical mismanagement of this club. We know that £3-4M is significant money to him cos he’s scuppered selling CAFC for that much over ‘‘directors’ loans’’. But he didn’t rebuff Brentford for reasons of squad strength. Bowyer somehow got thru to him that selling Taylor would bring direct consequences for the owner himself. The fact that we won’t wait for poor  results before ramping up his irritation and disrupting him outside of his London football experiment was successfully communicated. Dijksteel’s departure was the compromise and roly’s latest OS tantrum a telling consequence. Half a mill on transfer fees £500k? Credit? What credit? Best transfer window for years? Yes looks that way but compared to what?
    Gallen’s scouting and networking is spectacular. Charlton’s reputation for augmenting players is growing all the time. Clubs know CAFC is a place for development between U23 and premier league. Clubs like Brighton and West Brom have got real with arrangements for loaning out players at the fringes of their squads. This squad looks more than decent at the moment. But 5 loans and scant cover for defensive positions it could look very different by January. This situation is very much in spite of roly not thanks to.
    We need to make sure he gets keener and keener to offload asap less and less inclined to wait quietly for his looney money deal. 
    CAFC needs roly out ‘come what may deal or no deal’ to quote another self-serving cynical crooked crazed shitweasel 
    We need to keep up the brickbats not pander to his malfeasance. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Once Kayal is fit, Cullen will be on bench anyway.  And Field still to come.
    Always knew you weren’t joking when you said Cullen was “shit” 😉

Kayal is far more likely to replace Pratley.
    Not to mention that Pratley is also 34 so will need a rest at some point.
  • Options
    With RD he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t, all his own fault.
  • Options
    Incredibly good squad for this season, but we are back to square 1 next season as we will lose a huge chunk of the squad again
  • Options
    I still think there is method to his madness. Roland's ego is bigger than the east stand and he wants to sell the club so his cost cuttings would be entirely in line with making the club attractive and, in his mind, justifying his price. In my opinion he held back from selling Taylor because he didn't want the protests at his door and a replacement for Taylor would have a longer and more costly commitment. Back to his ego, he will probably turn up on talk sport at the seasons end  declaring that he ran the club at near nothing and declare himself the Messiah or sell the club at his price proving that he knew he was right all along. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019

The credit goes to everyone involved. None of us know who that is or what the budget implications are.

All we have to work on is Bowyer saying a few weeks ago we have the lowest budget in the league, which may be true or might not be true. 
    I think you can safely assume he hasn’t spent the extra £8m in revenue that Bowyer had delivered him - pre Dijksteel and Lookman.

According to someone in a position to know, Charlton and Millwall are a long, long way behind every other club in the division in spending, which of course makes Bowyer and Gallen’s achievement all the greater.
    It doesn’t yet, we are 3 games in. 
    Indeed, but the squad we had a week before the deadline was nailed on for relegation IMO. Now, who knows?
    We would need some luck, but I thought we were nailed on relegation and now I can't rule out top six after the late additions. Roland needs to go and we can't forget Bowyer still had the lowest budget, but to be fair to Roland, he has let Bowyer turn a sow's ear into a bit of a silk purse which was unexpected. By me certainly. The foundations are very weak though and we still need him out a.s.a.p and I will protest when required, but i'm just making an honest observation. All of the Djiksteel money could have been pocketed and Taylor could have been sold with nothing going to Bowyer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019

The credit goes to everyone involved. None of us know who that is or what the budget implications are.

All we have to work on is Bowyer saying a few weeks ago we have the lowest budget in the league, which may be true or might not be true. 
    I think you can safely assume he hasn’t spent the extra £8m in revenue that Bowyer had delivered him - pre Dijksteel and Lookman.

According to someone in a position to know, Charlton and Millwall are a long, long way behind every other club in the division in spending, which of course makes Bowyer and Gallen’s achievement all the greater.
    It doesn’t yet, we are 3 games in. 
    Indeed, but the squad we had a week before the deadline was nailed on for relegation IMO. Now, who knows?
    We would need some luck, but I thought we were nailed on relegation and now I can't rule out top six after the late additions. Roland needs to go and we can't forget Bowyer still had the lowest budget, but to be fair to Roland, he has let Bowyer turn a sow's ear into a bit of a silk purse which was unexpected. By me certainly. The foundations are very weak though and we still need him out a.s.a.p and I will protest when required, but i'm just making an honest observation. All of the Djiksteel money could have been pocketed and Taylor could have been sold with nothing going to Bowyer.
    At the cost of £8m in revenue per year and the reduced value of the club in 2020/21 once we had been relegated. Leaving aside the backlash Duchatelet would have faced, it didn’t stack up financially. 

Plus I think you have to factor in that even Duchatelet will have worked out that Brentford had had him over in relation to Konsa. I doubt if his inclination was to do them another favour, especially when their tactic was exactly the same and clearly based on the assumption he would fall for it again.
  • Options
    I think we all know that eventually LB will go to a bigger club, that comes with the territory, the alternative is to get a no-mark manager and we all know how that ends .
  • Options
    I think we all know that eventually LB will go to a bigger club, that comes with the territory, the alternative is to get a no-mark manager and we all know how that ends .
    If Bielsa doesn't get Leeds promoted this season, there's a high chance he'll go there.
  • Options

Unless by a miracle, and despite Roland, the unthinkable happens and we get promoted to the Premier League?

OK, OK, I'll go and take a lie down.

• Options
    addick05 said:

Unless by a miracle, and despite Roland, the unthinkable happens and we get promoted to the Premier League?

OK, OK, I'll go and take a lie down.

and you know Roland will try and claim it was his genius that got us promoted to the premier league. 
  • Options
    If we get to the Premiership,i won’t care what Roland claims and nor will anyone else.
  • Options

Plus I think you have to factor in that even Duchatelet will have worked out that Brentford had had him over in relation to Konsa. I doubt if his inclination was to do them another favour, especially when their tactic was exactly the same and clearly based on the assumption he would fall for it again.
    That's very generous AB.  You really think he learned that?  I'd just about accept that he'd allowed himself to process that they'd got a good deal from him, he'd undervalued EK last time around.  Not sure roly's ego is ready to take the hit of having got properly done last time.  I'm more inclined to believe that LB finally got through to roly that letting LT go to a rival, without replacing with the same or better, would have visited all manner of direct response on him from we disgruntled irritants.  As little as he cares about us, as low as his opinion is of most of us, as much as he identifies certain individuals as blameworthy for his own idiocy, he really doesn't like anything on his own doorstep.  I reckon LB convinced him that liquidating to the max, the way he did in previous windows was the surefire way to get hostile sarf londoners right up in his grill - or whatever the colloquial flemish is for that.  LB negotiated himself some time, not a change of policy or budget.
  • Options
    In terms of promotion, I think it is hard to find clear contenders outside of Leeds, Derby and Fulham. If one or more of these fail, as is more than possible. we may have as good a chance as anybody else.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    In terms of promotion, I think it is hard to find clear contenders outside of Leeds, Derby and Fulham. If one or more of these fail, as is more than possible. we may have as good a chance as anybody else.
    I know it’s early days, and only 1 game but Derby look really poor tonight in the game v Bristol City, 2-0 down at home at the moment.

Bielik obviously needs time to settle in , but he looks a shadow of the player we saw last season.
  • Options
    I just don’t understand why it feels like every time we sign a player we have to have a corresponding “yeah but...Roland this” debate to accompany it. Just enjoy the good aspects of the game. 

At the end of the day we know he’s not going to be here long term so he is not to be taking on any long term commitments or a speculative approach, or build up further sizeable debts. 

There’s definitely a risk we’ll suffer as a club as a result, so to come out of this window with 14 signings of the quality we’ve had, along with rejecting a decent bid for our star striker that seems to have been open to wanting the move, is surely beyond what the vast majority of us expected from this window?

Our squad is in place now. Can’t we just park the periphery stuff and get on with supporting the manager and players who’ve committed to us? 
    This all day long.