Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The height test.

Now that Chris Solly has 3 players in the squad who are smaller than him, Houston do we have a problem when defending corners and set pieces ?

If Oztumer, Solly, Williams and Cullen are on the field at the same time, I can see mega problems from Corners and set pieces.

It may be that Williams and Oztumer will alternate and not be on the field at the same time. But only one player normally stay by the centre circle when the opposition have a set piece. Erhun will get that gig when he is  match fit in a couple of weeks.

The Championship managers, coaches and Analysts will see this and try to exploit it.
Plus the fact that one of our CB is only 5ft 11in tall.

Spent many hours as a manager and coach in Sunday football working out how to minimise my team's weaknesses and exploit the opposition's weaknesses. This is a tough one to solve other than keeping both Erhun and Jonny up field (if on field together) resulting in 2 defenders marking then.

Not trying to dig out Vertically challenged folk as we have a few on CL !
Well that the long and the short of new discussion.

Comments

• Heightist 
  • I have to stand on a box so I do have empathy for the little people !
  • Depends on how many players the opposition has that are taller than our players. 
  • edited August 2019

iaitch said:
    Depends on how many players the opposition has that are taller than our players. 
    If Sarr's not playing say 11 !
  • You never know encourage us to leave at least one up front when we are facing corners.
  • I'm against all manner of stereotype and prejudice but small red headed men don't help the anti heightist cause. 
  • Turn it to our advantage. When defending a corner leave Oztumer, Williams & Cullen on  the half way line. Give the opposition something to think about......
  • I all fairness we only need another three diddly little fellas and a princess and the LB fairytale is on!
  • Turn it to our advantage. When defending a corner leave Oztumer, Williams & Cullen on  the half way line. Give the opposition something to think about......
    Might not be as daft as it first sounds.

If we leave 3 up front defending a corner, the oppo need to keep 4 players back in their own half to defend  ..... they'll still send their big boys into our box though.

In practice when defending a corner, managers tend to think it best to crowd the box pressuring and denying opponents space and time on the ball.

• Sponsored links:

I personally think it worth keeping say Oztumer and Williams on half way line and Cullen ready to feed them further back and it depends whether the opposition leave 3 defenders back to mark the 3 players or take advantage of the extra man from corner or set piece.  Worth working on training ground similar to the Cullen-Taylor-Gallagher corner.
  • Mentioned a while back, not sure why JW is anywhere near the box defending corners but he often is.
  • edited August 2019
    Now that Chris Solly has 3 players in the squad who are smaller than him, Houston do we have a problem when defending corners and set pieces ?

If Oztumer, Solly, Williams and Cullen are on the field at the same time, I can see mega problems from Corners and set pieces.

It may be that Williams and Oztumer will alternate and not be on the field at the same time. But only one player normally stay by the centre circle when the opposition have a set piece. Erhun will get that gig when he is  match fit in a couple of weeks.

The Championship managers, coaches and Analysts will see this and try to exploit it.

Spent many hours as a manager and coach in Sunday football working out how to minimise my team's weaknesses and exploit the opposition's weaknesses. This is a tough one to solve other than keeping both Erhun and Jonny up field (if on field together) resulting in 2 defenders marking then.

Who is the third? Only Johnny Williams and Erhun Oztumer are shorter I believe.

Cullen is officially (Allegedly) a cm taller
  • Dazzler21 said:

Who is the third? Only Johnny Williams and Erhun Oztumer are shorter I believe.

Cullen is officially (Allegedly) a cm taller
    Just checked and Josh must've grown !

The importance point is we have 4 players,
    2 who are 5ft 8in, and 5ft 6in and 5ft 3in.
    If they are all on the field at the same time we need to make sure that isn't a weakness. 
  • One short person stays up top, one covers the short ball, one covers the guy lurking on the edge of the area, if there's a fourth they stand on the line. The other 6 should be big and ugly enough to mark players in the box
  • If Barca can do it at their prime, so can we
  • edited August 2019
    Before the pre-season friendly at Welling, the team lined the centre circle for a minute's applause.  What a strange tribe we seem - Naby towering over everyone, and Junior Quitirna looking like a kid who had won a raffle to play in the game.  Like a peculiar extended family in a 1970s American sitcom.  One of the assets of Conor Gallagher is that he actually looks like a footballer... 
  • edited August 2019
    2 possibilities .. Oztumer (e.g.) sitting on Williams' shoulders for both offensive and defensive corners and free kicks  (or Vicky Verky) .. or copy Rugby Union's line out drills, lift a team mate as high as possible so that he can head the ball where it needs to go .. this needs expert timing and precision as well as super accurate dead ball striking .. you law experts … are either of these possibilities allowed ?
  • I’ve honestly never realised that Cullen is particularly short! How tall is he?
  • Sponsored links:

• 5ft 9 (Average as some of us put it, but probably short for a CM)
  • Height was never a problem with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta because at their prime the Opposition only had the ball for 20% of the time.
    Plus the other 8 players were 6 footers !

Cullen and Solly are the same height, 5ft 8ish and the skilful Williams and Oztumer are 5ft.6 and 5ft.3. only a problem if you are not organized or the opposition catch you out from a set piece ? Which in the Championship I would expect teams to have various routines.

All 4 players are good footballers and I expect Bowyer, Jacko and coaches to make sure it isn't a weakness.
  • Playing a team like Millwall, I wonder if Bowyer will change things to counter their more direct game and the 6 ft 6 Matt Smith