Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parking Charge Notice - Help

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Talal said:
    That's this country where compassion and common sense is in ever short supply

Like this story I heard on the radio this morning

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-hounded-over-parking-ticket-18931361
    Just read through that. It seems all the council are asking for is a copy of the death certificate and then the ticket will be cancelled, which I don't think is unreasonable. 
    I suspect they had a copy of the death certificate at the outset but lost it somehow.

The newspaper would have asked that basic question before they went to town with the story. 

This is just a cynical attempt to deflect the bad publicity by the council concerned with something that appears to be reasonable in order to justify their inhumane attitude. In my opinion of course!

If it was really that simple why wouldn't she or another family member have supplied the death certificate previously? Doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Talal said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-hounded-over-parking-ticket-18931361
    Just read through that. It seems all the council are asking for is a copy of the death certificate and then the ticket will be cancelled, which I don't think is unreasonable. 
    I suspect they had a copy of the death certificate at the outset but lost it somehow.

The newspaper would have asked that basic question before they went to town with the story. 

This is just a cynical attempt to deflect the bad publicity by the council concerned with something that appears to be reasonable in order to justify their inhumane attitude. In my opinion of course!

If it was really that simple why wouldn't she or another family member have supplied the death certificate previously? Doesn't make sense.
    Of course if a death certificate has already been supplied then that's a completely different matter. Though you would think, in her questioning, this would be something she would mention to the newspaper and would've been included in the article. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    LenGlover said:
    Talal said:

Of course if a death certificate has already been supplied then that's a completely different matter. Though you would think, in her questioning, this would be something she would mention to the newspaper and would've been included in the article. 
    Kinda missing the point though, compassion doesn't seem to come into it, it's fairly obvious she isn't making it up, I know some people try to wangle out of these things but someone's hardly going to fake their husbands death to get out of a parking fine.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    When my son was with the Spurs academy a few years back, my wife got a fine and points for going through a red light near the training ground in Chigwell. A week later she got a letter rescinding the fine and points, saying the information gained from the camera has been shown not to be reliable or something to that effect. 

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that a few Spurs players must have been caught out, and they have the dosh to employ expert legal people to get them off. And then everybody else has to be let off too. So the moral of this story is, if you want to avoid these things, live near rich people.
    Yeah.  Or "drive better". 
    My wife was adamant at the time the lights were not red and she hasn't had any points before or since. I would say she is a pretty good driver - maybe not up to you great standards - but decent enough.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    LenGlover said:
    Talal said:

Kinda missing the point though, compassion doesn't seem to come into it, it's fairly obvious she isn't making it up, I know some people try to wangle out of these things but someone's hardly going to fake their husbands death to get out of a parking fine.  
    Not sure I agree with that. There are people that will lie about anything. 
  • Options
    Sage. Thanks for the update and warning. Many times ( not recently) i've driven in to that Toby and due to no spaces have had to drive out within minutes and park in street. Will make sure the car is recorded in future if same happens again.. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    When my son was with the Spurs academy a few years back, my wife got a fine and points for going through a red light near the training ground in Chigwell. A week later she got a letter rescinding the fine and points, saying the information gained from the camera has been shown not to be reliable or something to that effect. 

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that a few Spurs players must have been caught out, and they have the dosh to employ expert legal people to get them off. And then everybody else has to be let off too. So the moral of this story is, if you want to avoid these things, live near rich people.
    My wife was adamant at the time the lights were not red and she hasn't had any points before or since. I would say she is a pretty good driver - maybe not up to you great standards - but decent enough.
    I'm sure she is.  I just have a thing about morals derived from stories about driving.  Whenever I hear a story about someone being fined for jumping red lights near an academy full (one presumes) of kids, I tend to think the best moral to draw from that is to drive better, not to be concerned about neighbours.  

If she didn't jump the lights, that's great.  And I hope she continues not to do so.  If she did and got away with it, I prefer the moral I draw, to yours, with the greatest respect. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    LenGlover said:
    Talal said:

There are thousands of people who would do just that. If the council already had the death certifi ate and lost it, then that's reprehensible on their part. If they didn't (and I'm not sure anybody should be surprised if the tabloid media didn't ask for that information before publishing the story) then it's a perfectly acceptable request. Say, for instance, I took a week off if a family member died. Would it be unreasonable for my employer to ask for proof? Maybe at the time of the request, yes - but a month later after I'd returned to work - no. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    LenGlover said:
    Talal said:

There are thousands of people who would do just that. If the council already had the death certifi ate and lost it, then that's reprehensible on their part. If they didn't (and I'm not sure anybody should be surprised if the tabloid media didn't ask for that information before publishing the story) then it's a perfectly acceptable request. Say, for instance, I took a week off if a family member died. Would it be unreasonable for my employer to ask for proof? Maybe at the time of the request, yes - but a month later after I'd returned to work - no. 
    Especially if you came back with a suntan and the clap.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    LenGlover said:
    Talal said:

Especially if you came back with a suntan and the clap.
    I can get that in Manchester... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I work in housing in an inner London Borough.
    People lie about anything to get housed.
    I used not to be cynical but...
    Only saying.
  • Options
    I got one today for being in the carpark at charlton retail park for too long. Over 3 hours. The o lay reason I was in there so long was that it too me over an hour to get out of there due to traffic. I've appealed it but I imagine others had the same problem that day 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    @Sage  Good luck with this. I had a similar incident albeit a different company (Britannia) and a different location (Chelmsford). Mine took about 2½ years before it was finally settled. It is my opinion that these parking companies are nothing but money grabbing scum, unfortunately such assertions are unlikely to help you. In my case we were in the car park for a total of seven minutes - we had planned to stop far, longer but didn't see their prices until we were in. At that point we did, we had a little family contretemps about their charges and how we might pay before deciding to leave and go somewhere else cheaper.  Anyway, here's my advice based on this experience:

1. Do not respond to them in any way; ignore their letters.
    2. Do not throw anything away. We did after a period of almost a year of hearing nothing. As soon as we did we got another letter from them. I'm sure it was a deliberate pause on their part.
    3. Expect to feel under considerable pressure. It's horrible, but it's what they do. Just remember, you are in the right and they make their money by making you want to give in.
    4. If you've got a good MP, ask for them to get involved. You never know, they might be able to add some useful weight to your side. Unfortunately my MP, James Duddridge, is more useless than a chocolate teapot, so there was no help there.
    5. If it goes as far as court, be prepared to stand your ground. We had to fill in forms stating our legal defence. Mine, which I cobbled together using advice from Money Saving Expert was that to charge you, they have to have a contract with you. Given that we left because we thought their charges were too high, there couldn't have possibly been a contract. Your defence will need to be a little different but the fact that you were turned away from the restaurant should mean that there was no contract.
    6. When they do give in, don't expect an apology for the worry, stress and wasted time (as I said these people are scum and care nothing of you) but do expect to feel bloody great because you've done the right thing and have beaten them. 

Good luck!

Thank you @Stig for your excellent response. I’m sorry to hear and learn about your experience but pleased for your sake it was all
    sorted. Thankfully, I’ve received a response from the Toby Carvery confirming that they would be cancelling the parking charge.

As drivers we must be careful because there are definitely a lot of dodgy private firms out to get you.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that they've agreed to cancel the charge :-)

• Options
    Stig, basic contract law involves an invitation to treat.  If they don't display in readable form their charges OUTSIDE said carpark, there is no contract for you to accept. If their ItT is inside and you choose to leave, again there is no implied contract.
  • Options
    Please do read the other thread on this..
  • Options
    NB. There is a Facebook group run by a "bitter ex employee" of a parking company. He'll get you off of tickets from a couple of companies for a tenner 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I'm sure she is.  I just have a thing about morals derived from stories about driving.  Whenever I hear a story about someone being fined for jumping red lights near an academy full (one presumes) of kids, I tend to think the best moral to draw from that is to drive better, not to be concerned about neighbours.  

If she didn't jump the lights, that's great.  And I hope she continues not to do so.  If she did and got away with it, I prefer the moral I draw, to yours, with the greatest respect. 
    I take it you have never got any points on your license and never will. I got three points in 2001 for speeding, I don't think that makes me a bad driver. A lot of posters will have gained points at some point and not be bad drivers. 

Also, if you want to imply the lights were outside the academy with lots of kids crossing the road fine. But you ought to know full well that is a fabrication. Not wishing to be pedantic, but not sure what the point of digging was in the first place. My wife has been driving since she was 17 and has never had a accident, nor any points. She is a better driver than me and could possibly be better than you - I don't know that of course.

My point was about rich footballers being able to challenge authority and win because they are rich. I don't think there was sufficient information about what happened for you to draw a moral from it bar from your own fantasy world.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    LenGlover said:
    Talal said:

Yes !  of course it would !  If you told your employer a family member died they wouldn't believe you and ask you to prove it?  really?  I took a day off when my aunt died, I didn't recall them asking me to take pictures of the coffin and the bereaved to back it up.  I'd find such a request quite frankly ludicrous
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    My dad died when I was 22 and my employer gave me a week's leave and I didn't have to prove it. A couple of months later, my Grandmother died and they insisted on giving me another week off -probably because they could see I was not in the right mental place to work. Again, I did not have to prove it. Of course I could have, but being asked to would have been very traumatic for me at the time.

It was terrific management by the way. I really appreciated the support I got from the office manager and would have run over hot coals for him after that.
  • Options
    If they are full in the restaurant or bar the memeber of staff should also remind people to put in their car reg into the machine to avoid a fine.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I take it you have never got any points on your license and never will. I got three points in 2001 for speeding, I don't think that makes me a bad driver. A lot of posters will have gained points at some point and not be bad drivers. 

Also, if you want to imply the lights were outside the academy with lots of kids crossing the road fine. But you ought to know full well that is a fabrication. Not wishing to be pedantic, but not sure what the point of digging was in the first place. My wife has been driving since she was 17 and has never had a accident, nor any points. She is a better driver than me and could possibly be better than you - I don't know that of course.

My point was about rich footballers being able to challenge authority and win because they are rich. I don't think there was sufficient information about what happened for you to draw a moral from it bar from your own fantasy world.
    I don't have points on my licence, but that's entirely beside the point.  Your post was not about my driving, but about someone else's and, more importantly, the moral that person drew.  Specifically, someone who " got a fine and points for going through a red light" concluded that "if you want to avoid these things, live near rich people". 

I didn't dig anyone out.  I simply and specifically suggested that, instead of deciding that a better way to "avoid these things" than living "near rich people" would be to drive better.  

I am sure you would agree that we would all be better off if we all drove better.  And, if you don't agree with that, frankly, I don't want to continue with this conversation. 
  • Options
    Looking for advice. As people know I have had a right hip replacement and my knee is a bit sore and tight at the moment. I also drive a car and have a parking permit. Only by chance (as I am at home recovering) since March, I noticed an orange triangle pop around a lamp post near my window which is 5ft up. Really helpful as I am 4ft 11. This went up on 19th August last week to advise something on the lines of "From August 26th to Sept 8th - no loading, parking, waiting". I was very "lucky" as I had seen the orange triangle "by chance" by looking out a window from my flat. Surprise, surprise on Monday 26th August Bank Holiday a parking attendant has just booked 2 cars who have residents parking in the said bays. A) Is it not a legal requirement that they should notify residents about any roadworks? B) How much notice should you give? C) How can they put a sign up from Monday 26th August (when it is a Bank Holiday. When is any work carried out? And being 4 working days notice?   I managed to move my car despite being in a lot of pain last week.  I did phone the council parking, but they didn't have a clue what was going on and put me through to Highway Agency, who then didn't have a clue as to what work was being carried out and had to refer. All they know it is something sort of gas company?? 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Looking for advice. As people know I have had a right hip replacement and my knee is a bit sore and tight at the moment. I also drive a car and have a parking permit. Only by chance (as I am at home recovering) since March, I noticed an orange triangle pop around a lamp post near my window which is 5ft up. Really helpful as I am 4ft 11. This went up on 19th August last week to advise something on the lines of "From August 26th to Sept 8th - no loading, parking, waiting". I was very "lucky" as I had seen the orange triangle "by chance" by looking out a window from my flat. Surprise, surprise on Monday 26th August Bank Holiday a parking attendant has just booked 2 cars who have residents parking in the said bays. A) Is it not a legal requirement that they should notify residents about any roadworks? B) How much notice should you give? C) How can they put a sign up from Monday 26th August (when it is a Bank Holiday. When is any work carried out? And being 4 working days notice?   I managed to move my car despite being in a lot of pain last week.  I did phone the council parking, but they didn't have a clue what was going on and put me through to Highway Agency, who then didn't have a clue as to what work was being carried out and had to refer. All they know it is something sort of gas company?? 
    Parking suspensions for anything other than meters are one area where local councils are generally deficient. They're the only area where appellants regularly win appeals that go to adjudicators (other than when the council has been deficient, negligent or sent notices to owners out of time).

Pop over to Pepipoo and post there - someone will give you a pro forma response for your neighbour tk send in as their appeal. It's a risk, because the Council or agency digging up the road may have applied correctly for the suspension - in which case your neighbour may end up losing and paying the full penalty instead of the discounted rate for paying early. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Personally not sure on this one but if the council and Highway Agency don’t know of it at all, I probably wouldn’t worry. I’d assume that it’s a private company (the gas company) who has said no loading, parking, waiting... whether they have any right to do that I am not convinced at all.

Luckily for you, you managed to move your car. But with it being a bank holiday as pointed out, I’d assume it should only come in to play tomorrow. If people have got tickets, it’s beyond a joke to be completely honest.

In terms of signage, they can’t expect people to see a sign without further detailed notices going through the letterbox of each home.

Personal opinion is that what they’ve done is wrong.
  • Options
    If it is for roadworks the council would only have told the contractor to do that upon them accepting a streetworks permit, which would be the contractor telling the highway authority what they were planning on doing, which means the authority would know about it. Stay on their case mate, contractors do stuff like this all the time as do skip companies and scaffolders who all need permits to put skips or scaffolding up or to do invasive work on the road
  • Options
    I know when I used to work at BT, (I was just in the office, but if you needed a cherry picker or wanted to dig up a road whereby you would need part of the road closed etc you would have to apply for the council and given them at least 28 days notice. I have also taken photos of the current parking signs and where my car is now parked near that sign in case some more of these pop up over the night. Although I am lucky my neighbour's are not. I don't know whose cars they belong to. I wasn't too sure wether by law (which I don't see why it shouldn't be), residents should be notified. I have emailed the council with my complaint. I got one automated reply and then one said we are busy but it is standard to give 7 days notice. Those people could be on holiday so 7 days is not good enough, particularly in August !!.  Supposing I am disabled (you could argue with my hips I am having had them both replaced). I even said to them over the phone to the Highway Agency when the council put me through. "ok. I have had a right hip replacement. what do I do as I can't drive". Thier reply was "can you get someone else to move your car". "er no as none of them drive". I replied "so you are asking someone who shouldn't be driving who is in pain to move their car and have given notice on a lampost a foot over my head?? 
  • Options
    Bye the way it is Greenwich Council parking attendants that have done it.  I am glad I moved my car on the 19th as parking is very limited around here anyway and moved mine whilst people were at work. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Chizz said:

But were they Amber? I learnt on my speed awareness course that you can be done for going through on Amber... I always thought amber meant speed up before they go red, which apparently it does not.