Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 18's updates (23/24 season from page 49)

Comments

• Options
    I’ve heard Arsenal are signing our young striker Daniel Kanu. 

Big shame it true, he’s got a big future
    Bugger.  Promising attacking players rarely sign professional terms with us so I guess he will join a long list of young deserters such as Defoe, Ramazani, Sarmiento, Abraham, Palmer etc.  The one exception being KAG that I can think of.
    Yeah, it’s a massive shame. 

Ged Roddy is finding out first hand what a stupid academy structure he’s put in place.

Must be out of the loop here. What has Roddy done with the Academy?
  • Options
    Think it's more people making sh*t up tbh.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

Bugger.  Promising attacking players rarely sign professional terms with us so I guess he will join a long list of young deserters such as Defoe, Ramazani, Sarmiento, Abraham, Palmer etc.  The one exception being KAG that I can think of.

Ged Roddy is finding out first hand what a stupid academy structure he’s put in place.

He means the whole EPPP structure for academies across England that he set up years ago.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

He’s not made any changes to our academy specifically, he wrote the Elite Player Performance Programme before he joined us. 

Long story short, it basically means a category 1 academy can go to any other training ground and buy their best players for peanuts. It’s one of the reasons why so many EFL clubs have started scrapping their academy’s in favour of B teams. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Think it's more people making sh*t up tbh.
    I hope so, he’s an absolute wonderkid
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

He’s not made any changes to our academy specifically, he wrote the Elite Player Performance Programme before he joined us. 

Long story short, it basically means a category 1 academy can go to any other training ground and buy their best players for peanuts. It’s one of the reasons why so many EFL clubs have started scrapping their academy’s in favour of B teams. 

Understood thanks. Didn't realise that was him. I thought it was something to do with being held to ransom over TV money but either way I agree it's stupid.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

Apologies I dont really understand how academies work. But are you saying someone like say new Deji could be basically nicked cut price by a club that has Cat 1 status?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    AndyG said:
    Jac_52 said:

Apologies I dont really understand how academies work. But are you saying someone like say new Deji could be basically nicked cut price by a club that has Cat 1 status?
    I’m certainly no expert myself, but yes it seems they could take him for very little. 

Apparently, tribunal’s have been replaced with this:

“A fixed tariff for transfers of players under 18 – The proposed tariff is:
    Years spent at academyFixed fee per year
    aged 9–11£3,000
    aged 12–16£12,500 – £40,000 depending on academy category

This will replace the current system of compensation determined by an independent tribunal.Thus, a 14-year-old player who spends 6 years at the club (Category 3) will command a fee of £46,500 (£3,000 × 3 + £12,500 × 3).”

The EPPP has also scrapped the “90 minute rule” - this is where academies were only allowed to sign players aged under 18 if they resided within 90 minutes' travel time of the training facility.

Long story short, it’s never been easier for big clubs to hoard talented youngsters.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    AndyG said:
    Jac_52 said:

Depends if he has already signed a pro contract.  If he has we are protected until that expires.  If he has not then I believe EPPP rules means he could still be poached for next to naff all.
  • Options
    And people wonder why clubs have closed their academies. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Leaburn, I try to forget he is the son of one of my favourite players and judge on what I have seen. I honestly think he has something about him.
  • Options
    Where’s the source re Daniel Kanu? All I see on Twitter is a Charlton fan asking if he’s gone? Prior to that, nothing…
  • Options
    And two days ago he was playing against Maidstone so if it’s happened, it’s been done very quickly and quietly.
  • Options
    Where’s the source re Daniel Kanu? All I see on Twitter is a Charlton fan asking if he’s gone? Prior to that, nothing…
    His mates commented on his insta post today calling him “arsenals future star” so I imagine he’s good as gone 
  • Options
    His mates commented on his insta post today calling him “arsenals future star” so I imagine he’s good as gone 

He didn’t seem impressed… maybe he’s a Spurs fan 🤪
  • Options

He didn’t seem impressed… maybe he’s a Spurs fan 🤪
    Several of our youth players commented too and I’m actually hopeful that he’s signed a pro deal with us. 
  • Options
    He replied with '🤨' so not sure that's the case.

• Options
    Not seen anything on Twitter, that’s probably come from here. 

It’s just what one of my friends, who’s more into the academy than I am, has told me. No idea if he’s signed, or if it’s just interest, or if it’s rubbish. 

Seems an odd thing to make up so there’s probably a bit of substance in it 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Jac_52 said:

I’m certainly no expert myself, but yes it seems they could take him for very little. 

aged 9–11£3,000

This will replace the current system of compensation determined by an independent tribunal.Thus, a 14-year-old player who spends 6 years at the club (Category 3) will command a fee of £46,500 (£3,000 × 3 + £12,500 × 3).”

The EPPP has also scrapped the “90 minute rule” - this is where academies were only allowed to sign players aged under 18 if they resided within 90 minutes' travel time of the training facility.

Long story short, it’s never been easier for big clubs to hoard talented youngsters.

It’s an absolute scandal that just helps the Big Six maintain the status quo on the cheap to the detriment of everyone else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Looks to me like an Arsenal fan making a comment - nothing more
    Based on the name. 

Maybe he'll next get excited about Aaron Henry (Thierry's son  :D )
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    AndyG said:
    Jac_52 said:

aged 9–11£3,000

It’s an absolute scandal that just helps the Big Six maintain the status quo on the cheap to the detriment of everyone else.
    And this was Roddy’s idea ? 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    AndyG said:
    Jac_52 said:

aged 9–11£3,000

Not just top 6.  Any Cat1 academy.  Without even having to move home that means at age 16/17 our best could switch to West Ham or Palace whom I believe are both Cat 1 for next to nothing to us.  It's total shit.
  • Options

Not just top 6.  Any Cat1 academy.  Without even having to move home that means at age 16/17 our best could switch to West Ham or Palace whom I believe are both Cat 1 for next to nothing to us.  It's total shit.
    Which is why it's important to get our Academy into Cat 1
  • Options
    apart from the immediate money hike  - i know, i know, that is a big factor - why transfer to Arsenal now ? the chances of being in our first team in the next year or so are so much higher and will mean you won't need to go through the 'loaned out to somewhere you'd rather not be' loop 
  • Options
    Other than money probably better facilities, coaches and opposition along with other small benefits that come with signing for a big club.

Not convinced there’s any truth in this one though.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Other than money probably better facilities, coaches and opposition along with other small benefits that come with signing for a big club.

Not convinced there’s any truth in this one though.
    lots of prem youth academy players starting to resent the loan out system and favouring being at a club where you can break into the first team without doing that - they've had the benefit of a top class academy education but then move - if this young fella moved he'd be getting the reverse of that unless he thinks he's good enough to go straight into the arsenal side ?? they're probably telling him that but the reality may be different 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    The realities are that we need to get out of this division first and foremost. Category 1 academy is not ever going to happen whilst we are stuck here.

We need at least regular Championship football, better facilities, a new building, and more full-time coaches. That’s going to cost a fair amount.

If we manage all of that, we can not only keep our better players without worrying, but we can also attract and steal the better players from those in Category 2. The end of the day, it’s a dog eat dog world and if we want to be progressive as a club, we can’t be worried what other clubs think if we do what everyone else has always done to us.

When we get Category 1, whenever that happens, I’m not interested in being the nice club, I’m interested in having the best young players we can possibly have coming through to play in the first team.

But, talk of a Category 1 being viable is a long way off. Let’s hope promotion happens sooner rather than later and then we can start to assess the situation we are in. 
    Category 1 is impossible as long as a 3rd party owns the training ground.