Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burgundy holiday -recommendations

Wondered if anyone has any recommendations or places to visit...got the wine aspects covered 

Comments

• Depends on where you are based. Burgundy covers a big area. I've only ever stopped in the west of the region on my way south.
    Nevers Plage is worth a visit if you are local. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Had a boat trip in Burgundy and got marooned 
    I only came here to make the same comment. 
  • Vezelay, Chateau Chinon and just north of Burgundy Troyes....are all worth a visit.

• Vezelay, Chateau Chinon and just north of Burgundy Troyes....are all worth a visit.

Aah thanks staying v close to vezelay 
  • You need to watch Passport to Pimlico.
  • lolwray said:
    Vezelay, Chateau Chinon and just north of Burgundy Troyes....are all worth a visit.

Aah thanks staying v close to vezelay 
    We camped there for one night....15 min walk from the Old Town...lovely place and there's a bar (part of a hotel I seem to remember) that does some decent beers (near the main entrance to the Old Town).
  • edited August 2019
    As my French GF's sister has a place there, I've got to know the western part of Burgundy quite well, an area bounded by Nevers on the Loire river across to the Morvan Hills; the river Yonne valley and the Nievre canal, between Clamecy and Corbigny.

Most of it is very rural and fairly sparsely populated, dairy farming, agricultural and forestry plantations for timber;
    a few small country towns and plenty of pretty little villages.

As Hastings has said above, Vezelay is pretty with it's famous 11th century abbey, at the start of the pilgrim's road to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. La Charite-sur-Loire also has an ancient priory and monastery, interesting historical quarter in an attractive big river setting. The area has lots of history, small chateaux to visit plus plenty of good walks in the Morvan hills, which is a National Park. Perhaps also get yourself a local guide book or research beforehand on line.

Throughout the summer, each village and town has a brocante - a cross between a car boot sale, antiques fair and a flea market -  you can haggle, loads of bargains to be had! Not only an absorbing way to spend part of a Sunday, but big or small, the whole village turns out for the event, very friendly, local food and often music. You can buy a small booklet cheaply that tells you the date and location of each village's brocante throughout the year.; there's bound to be one within reasonably easy reach at the time you're on holiday. 

PS: If you're into ales, Vezelay has it's own small brewery, with various craft beers bottle conditioned. Recommended.
    Otherwise, great choice of local wines and tasty local country cheeses.

And if you fall in love with the area, because of years of depopulation, there seems to be an endless supply of cheap old farmhouses and cottages with or without land at bargain prices. 

Enjoy your trip!

• Oggy Red said:
    As my French GF's sister has a place there, I've got to know the western part of Burgundy quite well, an area bounded by Nevers on the Loire river across to the Morvan Hills; the river Yonne valley and the Nievre canal, between Clamency and Courbigny.

Most of it is very rural and fairly sparsely populated, dairy farming, agricultural and forestry plantations for timber;
    a few small country towns and plenty of pretty little villages.

As Hastings has said above, Vezelay is pretty with it's famous 11th century abbey, at the start of the pilgrim's road to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. La Charite-sur-Loire also has an ancient priory and monastery, interesting historical quarter in an attractive big river setting. The area has lots of history, small chateaux to visit plus plenty of good walks in the Morvan hills, which is a National Park. Perhaps also get yourself a local guide book or research beforehand on line.

Throughout the summer, each village and town has a brocante - a cross between a car boot sale, antiques fair and a flea market -  you can haggle, loads of bargains to be had! Not only an absorbing way to spend part of a Sunday, but big or small, the whole village turns out for the event, very friendly, local food and often music. You can buy a small booklet cheaply that tells you the date and location of each village's brocante throughout the year.; there's bound to be one within reasonably easy reach at the time you're on holiday. 

PS: If you're into ales, Vezelay has it's own small brewery, with various craft beers bottle conditioned. Recommended.
    Otherwise, great choice of local wines and tasty local country cheeses.

And if you fall in love with the area, because of years of depopulation, there seems to be an endless supply of cheap old farmhouses and cottages with or without land at bargain prices. 

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for that ogster...really grateful for the advice 
    .much appreciated 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow just looked up burgundy (not Ron) got a 15 bedroom castle for £499k get in!