Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Green" Football

Following the trend for reducing plastic and inlight of the splendid efforts from Forest Green Rovers i want to challenge Charlton to go green - at least reducing plastic bottles. I am sure this would bring savings as they must spend a fortune on bottled water. Bearing in mind we don't have a CEO, who would i ask about this?
https://www.fgr.co.uk/help/our-policies/our-environmental-policy

Comments

• I'm sure football clubs could bring in the £1 plastic cups for beer like they do at the cricket grounds
  • I'm sure football clubs could bring in the £1 plastic cups for beer like they do at the cricket grounds==
    I was thinking more on the training ground and on the pitch but good point. At least a £1 charge for plastic cups would give us something else to moan about :)

• edited July 2019
    I'm sure football clubs could bring in the £1 plastic cups for beer like they do at the cricket grounds

I like the idea (and the sentiment) but the difference is people can drink their beer whilst watching cricket.  At football they would have to carry their £1 cup with them (empty).

Most of us (well I speak for myself when I say most of us) would rather put the empty cup into the bin and go and watch the game without having to carry it around.

I think recycling points should be introduced though for plastic cups.

• I don't mind it at cricket, I always take a couple home and use them when we have barbecues and similar stuff 

Football it would be chaos, 15 minute window at half time for a scutch would not allow for the little extra logistic of handing people deposits back and refilling used ones

Recycling points for used plastic ones definitely but I am starting to question how much of the recycling I put out actually gets recycled. Assuming they will, then we should start doing it immediately 
  • has everyone forgotten the rection when Roland removed water bottles from the training ground last year and told players they could get tap water...?
  • Beardface said:
    has everyone forgotten the rection when Roland removed water bottles from the training ground last year and told players they could get tap water...?
    He didn't do that for the environment!
  • Simple things clubs can do around recycling, single-use plastics, switching to LED floodlights, supplying EVs to staff, and looking at how all that roof space at stadiums could be used for solar. 
  • Could this be something CAST could help with?

• Sponsored links:

• Biodegradable stuff like the above glasses just doesn't work I'm afraid, same as biodegradable plastic straws. They need to be sorted and cleaned and processed separately from other waste and other recycling, and if they aren't then they don't actually biodegrade for 10 years or so
  • Ridiculous idea. With the light fading on a winter afternoon you wouldn't be able to see it.
  • sam3110 said:
    Biodegradable stuff like the above glasses just doesn't work I'm afraid, same as biodegradable plastic straws. They need to be sorted and cleaned and processed separately from other waste and other recycling, and if they aren't then they don't actually biodegrade for 10 years or so
    But that's just it, they all end up in one place, the concourse floor.
    Therefore shouldn't be difficult to separate.
  • kimbo said:
    I'm sure football clubs could bring in the £1 plastic cups for beer like they do at the cricket grounds==
    I was thinking more on the training ground and on the pitch but good point. At least a £1 charge for plastic cups would give us something else to moan about :)

I thought Roland had already stopped bottles of water at the training ground?

Isn't he wonderful?
  • All those plastic sachets could be gotten rid of too, for milk and tomato sauce etc. Better still, if more people could consume less while they are in the stadium, savings all round!
  • I prefer “Wagstaff” Football tbh.