Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Restaurants

2»

Comments

• Options
    Weirdly was about to start a similar thread, as I'm looking for somewhere central (watching the Lion King matinee) that would be good with two young kids but also nice for adults too rather than just McDonalds etc
    Over that way, joe Allen’s or sarastro?
    Is Sarastro still there?
    Loved that place back in the day!
    Not been for years, and am sure it's pretty tired (the website is shockingly bad for looking at menus etc) but I got taken there by a boss for one of my first jobs as a thank you and it was the first time i had hummus and we sat up one of the 'up the ladder tables', so always held a lot of affection for it. 

• Options
    Weirdly was about to start a similar thread, as I'm looking for somewhere central (watching the Lion King matinee) that would be good with two young kids but also nice for adults too rather than just McDonalds etc
    Over that way, joe Allen’s or sarastro?
    Is Sarastro still there?
    Loved that place back in the day!
    Not been for years, and am sure it's pretty tired (the website is shockingly bad for looking at menus etc) but I got taken there by a boss for one of my first jobs as a thank you and it was the first time i had hummus and we sat up one of the 'up the ladder tables', so always held a lot of affection for it. 

We’d go regularly for work dos there. 
    The up the ladder tables were great, Christ knows how the waiting staff coped. 
    Once we had a colleague with us who had narcolepsy and after she’d had a few just kept passing out into her meze. The staff were petrified lol
  • Options
    Want to avoid the chains if possible, just be nice to go somewhere a bit different than the normal 'been to the cinema and can't be arsed to cook now' restaurants.
    Maxwells, Covent Garden.
    Maxwells has gone, its now Wahlburgers owned by Mark and Donnie, the first one outside of North America.
  • Options
    maxwells have just made 3 of there venues 0 cash 

off to goodmans friday night - the best steak restaurant imo. 
    gaucho is overpriced and not great, hawskmoor i found the food a bit weird, any others worth trying?. 
  • Options

gaucho is overpriced and not great, hawskmoor i found the food a bit weird, any others worth trying?. 
    Smith & Wollensky on The Strand
  • Options
    @ValleyGary
    will give it a go next time im heading for one. 
  • Options
    @ValleyGary
    will give it a go next time im heading for one. 
    Expensive mate but very very nice
  • Options

Foxlow was amazing but think it closed in June. (from the same people as Hawskmoor but nicer)
  • Options
    one i never got round to trying was MASH steakhouse - cousin used to work for bny so everytime any americans were over they would demand steak dinners, they have moved and apparently looking for new premises. 

on subject of steaks i cant believe how crap miller and carter has become its no better than a pub meal. 
  • Options
    We always go to Cote Brasserie on St Martin's Lane. Yes it is a chain, but it is excellent value, good food, unrushed and the staff are always first class. If you sign up to their mailing list and book via the website, you get a free bottle of (quite decent) wine on your next visit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Le mercury in angel is a wonderful restaurant. Great food at great prices. 
  • Options
    Just had a gander at their menu online, KA - looks cracking! 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Want to avoid the chains if possible, just be nice to go somewhere a bit different than the normal 'been to the cinema and can't be arsed to cook now' restaurants.
    Maxwells, Covent Garden.
    Maxwells has gone, its now Wahlburgers owned by Mark and Donnie, the first one outside of North America.
    It's still going, but moved round the corner.

https://www.maxwells.co.uk/
  • Options

A Venetian restaurant Ciccetti
    251 Piccadilly (Piccadilly end - then not far from the theatre). Or Savini (old criterion). 
  • Options
    Burger King Leicester Square. 
  • Options
    We always go to Cote Brasserie on St Martin's Lane. Yes it is a chain, but it is excellent value, good food, unrushed and the staff are always first class. If you sign up to their mailing list and book via the website, you get a free bottle of (quite decent) wine on your next visit. 
    @Algarveaddick Cote Brasserie is where we ended up but the one on Tavistock St, cheers for the recommendation and your description pretty much mirrored our experience, thoroughly enjoyable. We ended up doing a second night and tried Steak & Co on Haymarket, you cook your own steak on a hot plate at the table, never seen that before! As with Cote Brasserie, we had great food, great service and excellent value.  
  • Options
    Not seen Flat Iron chained mentioned.

Lot cheaper than Hawksmoor/Goodmans as its a lot less formal (no advance bookings)

Great cheaper option as the meat is really good quality. 
  • Options
    Not worth a new thread - but off to Cheltenham for a long weekend next week. Any decent restaurant recommendations?
  • Options
    one i never got round to trying was MASH steakhouse - cousin used to work for bny so everytime any americans were over they would demand steak dinners, they have moved and apparently looking for new premises. 

on subject of steaks i cant believe how crap miller and carter has become its no better than a pub meal. 
    Blacklock - Soho. 
    Nice addition to the range, cheaper than Hawksmoor but I cant notice any drop in quality.

Jones Family Kitchen - Belgravia
    I thought this place was brilliant. 25 and upwards but the meat is classy and i thought the presentation of food/vibe of restaurant was lovely

L'Entrecote - Only been to city branch. Only steak on the menu, seems only choice is how it is cooked. Great value

• Options
    Not worth a new thread - but off to Cheltenham for a long weekend next week. Any decent restaurant recommendations?
    @SuedeAdidas We stopped off near Cheltenham earlier this week on our way to London and we stayed in Northleach in a pub called the Wheatsheaf. The pub is beautiful but the food - wow, has to be up there as one of the best meals I've ever had, truly stunning. I think it's about 12 or 13 miles from Cheltenham but well worth the trip and through lovely countryside.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers 👍🏼
  • Options
    The duck there is sublime 
  • Options
    Bit different and a little pricey for a curry house, but Koloshi in Cheltenham is top class

http://www.koloshi.com/

• Options
    The duck there is sublime 
    How’s the gander?
  • Options
    @Algarveaddick Cote Brasserie is where we ended up but the one on Tavistock St, cheers for the recommendation and your description pretty much mirrored our experience, thoroughly enjoyable. We ended up doing a second night and tried Steak & Co on Haymarket, you cook your own steak on a hot plate at the table, never seen that before! As with Cote Brasserie, we had great food, great service and excellent value.  
    @stockportaddick Delighted I could be of assistance and that you enjoyed it. Funny enough the cook your own steak thing is popular with tourists here, the difference is that you cook it on a hot slab of stone (Steak-on-a-Stone). I have never tried it - I go to a restaurant for someone else to cook for me, I can cook my own steak at home... :D    
  • Options
    I have always liked the Prezzo chain.

The service and food is always very good, coupled with the discountvouchercode site normally offering fantastic deals.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Zedel’s 
    Seconded.  Good food and an amazing setting.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Riviera said:
    Rules. Still the best restaurant in London.
    Rules very good, J Sheeky, Christopher's, Mont Plasir, Cichetti, also good
    Second Cichetti. Fumo also a favourite of mine.
  • Options
    Heard good things about Beast
  • Options
    Mildred’s, Soho 
    Not expensive and probably not most on here would want to visit as it’s  just veggie and vegan. It does get extremely busy but is well worth the wait.