Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Granite (or similar) kitchen worktops

Does anyone have experience in getting these costed and (retro) fitted?  What is the best - most economical - way of getting it done?  What are the "best" materials to use?  

I have a requirement for a fairly large amount to do.  Advice, warning stories, satisfied customers and anything else useful would be welcomed.  

Comments

• Options
    A mate of mine had these done, it's pretty popular retrofitting that granite material to existing worktops. He loves it, I was under the impression he had a go at it himself, I thought it was horrible and for what he paid I'd have been tempted to spend a bit more (ok maybe a lot more) and get proper granite done instead 

That might just have been the people who did his didnt do a very good job because it looks pretty decent in the promotional videos and photos they show at notcutts
  • Options
    We just had crystal quartz work surfaces installed in our new kitchen.

I think we paid about £3.5k for 2 8ft long surfaces and an 8x4ft island, cut to size.

Will double check the price as it was part of the whole kitchen but it looks really good and appears to be quite hard wearing.
  • Options
    Unless it's a huge saving you'd be better going for the full job. We went for quartz over granite; looks just as nice and isn't porous so more hygienic/easier to clean. Just don't get a dark colour, water marks/smears etc will constantly show. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Unless it's a huge saving you'd be better going for the full job. We went for quartz over granite; looks just as nice and isn't porous so more hygienic/easier to clean. Just don't get a dark colour, water marks/smears etc will constantly show. 
    Thanks.  Not sure what you mean by going for the full job, though...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Chizz said:
    Talal said:
    I'm assuming he means full replacement of the existing tops versus leaving them in place and capping them with granite/quartz - around 3mm thick. The former is best and not much different in price.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Talal said:
    I'm assuming he means full replacement of the existing tops versus leaving them in place and capping them with granite/quartz - around 3mm thick. The former is best and not much different in price.
    This. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Talal said:
    This. 
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Try Mumsnet, @Chizz - plenty of advice for this kind of thing over there. Seriously.
  • Options
    Try Mumsnet, @Chizz - plenty of advice for this kind of thing over there. Seriously.
    *looks at you*
  • Options
    Love our granite worktops. Hate the stone floor we had put in at the same time. It's OK in the summer, but in the winter months its bloody freezing. Ridiculous decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    yeah who skimps on underfloor heating these days?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    *looks at you*
    Tread carefully though, you don't want to be mentally scared for life by accidentally stumbling on the latest "penis beaker" style thread.
  • Options
    What's the world coming to?  Blokes Going on mumsnet for building advice 😲
  • Options
    Always a risky business. I only went on there to find out about touching up a small dent in my paintwork!

• Options
    My mate's old firm, not sure what involvement they have now though...

**Sale now on**

https://www.sussexstone-ceramic.co.uk/
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I got mine (granite) from here many moons ago. 

In a a new house now with white quartz counter tops and matching floor tiles......and prefer it to the granite. 

https://www.marblesltd.com/
  • Options
    We used Croydon Granite (Thornton Heath). Fitters were miserable as sin but did the job excellently. 
  • Options
    My mate's old firm, not sure what involvement they have now though...

**Sale now on**

https://www.sussexstone-ceramic.co.uk/
    Use my one, the others all sound shit mate
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Try these;
    https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=solid-laminate-worktops&sid=6713g2681h0xb4w84cdf9h3l7yv412d8
    Just fitted some in my kitchen.
    12mm thick, very durable, and a good finish.
    Can get a length 650 x 3500mm for around £220 a length.
    Zenith
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Try Corian, I recommend it
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    That is pretty impressive stuff
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    That is pretty impressive stuff
    Our current worktops are Corian and they're great.

Had granite in a previous house, which was also good, but I was told you must not use lemon cleaners on it.
  • Options
    if you get the tops i can fit some kitchen units just ask @DaveMehmet
  • Options
    We got Corian, fitters were great.

Cash is king if you can..............
  • Options
    if you get the tops i can fit some kitchen units just ask @DaveMehmet
    ??
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Love our granite worktops. Hate the stone floor we had put in at the same time. It's OK in the summer, but in the winter months its bloody freezing. Ridiculous decision.
    Just wear slippers.
  • Options
    One of the bonuses with corian is that it can be easily repaired.