Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

House Advice

Comments

• In my experience if its your dream house then up the bid, you'll kick yourself if you lose it for 5-10k which in the scheme of things is a couple of percent.

• Maybe find out if the existing owner has yellow teeth, likes graffiti art and is a bit of a collector

If so then you dont stand a chance of buying the place
  • edited July 2019
    I've just had a look. Wonderful property.
    If you've set your heart on it and you can afford it, then I'd push the boat out to get it.
    What's £10K extra, if it's your dream house ?
    I'd go with the what would I regret scenario.
    Would I regret not going for my ideal house v would I regret paying more than I can comfortably afford ?
    I've not checked which way property prices are moving in W Yorks.
  • Put in what you can afford, do your homework on Zoopla and see what other houses have gone for in the area, to see if you’re paying the going rate.

Until you’ve paid out for a surveyors report, you might get an odd surprise, no matter how well decorated it looks, speaking from personal experience.

I hate buying and selling houses and always feel like someone’s trying to stitch you up, be it the estate agent trying to up your offer,or people putting in daft offers for your own place, good,luck, hope it all works out for you.

Ps you’re not Albie Morgan are you?
  • Offer 10k over their original asking price and once you get get to the the exchange of contract tell them what you really want and are going to pay. At that stage you might, because of all the time and money both sides have paid out, get a house at the price you want to pay.
    Horrible thing to do and not something I would do but that’s one method.
    Never do to others that you wouldn't like having done to yourself.
    It goes on though and some wouldn’t bat an eyelid doing it.  It’s all very well living your life by your statement but the reality is often that goes straight out the window when money is involved. I’ve been mucked about with when buying a house it’s not nice and costly too. Another crap thing I know some get up to is to put offers in on multiple properties and the stringing along god knows how many up to the point where they have to commit to some serious outlay, meanwhile multiple chains get ruined.
    Until the laws are changed I doubt very much that people will suddenly act and play nicely.
  • Sorry another bit from me.  If this is your dream house and the last time you will move, expect maybe down sizing in old age, spend the most you can afford. If you end up paying 5-10k more now it's still less than it will cost you to move again. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry another bit from me.  If this is your dream house and the last time you will move, expect maybe down sizing in old age, spend the most you can afford. If you end up paying 5-10k more now it's still less than it will cost you to move again. 
    Try telling that to the Aussies or Dalman....!!
  • I meet with Zoopla once a month and they often admit their estimates aren’t exactly accurate. Add and subtract 10% each way to get a ball park figure.
  • robroy said:
    seen a property today on at £395k offers over. Went on yesterday and today they have had several offers. We were the 7th couple to look at it 

Im chain free and offered £400k. So Monday is final offers. 

Thoughts?

we do love the house 
    No expert but I'd go to 420k if you really want it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Offer 10k over their original asking price and once you get get to the the exchange of contract tell them what you really want and are going to pay. At that stage you might, because of all the time and money both sides have paid out, get a house at the price you want to pay.
    Especially if the survey throws something up that you don't expect.
    Especially if the survey throws something up that you don't expect.
    Like, I don't know, £7 million worth of loans secured on the garden shed 
  • robroy said:
    seen a property today on at £395k offers over. Went on yesterday and today they have had several offers. We were the 7th couple to look at it 

Thoughts?

we do love the house 
    No expert but I'd go to 420k if you really want it.
    Are you the vendor.. .??
  • Lovely house 
    Pay what you can afford
    Wont depreciate so what ever you pay even if a little over the top you will get back in positive equity over the next few years
    Don't be stubborn like I did and most days drive past thinking what if!!
  • Buying and selling houses in the UK is an absolute nightmare. i hope you get your house, and good luck with your offer.
  • My missus has just seen the photos and reckons more like £435k !!!!, hope you get it, it's a very nice property in a super location. We have paid over the odds a couple of times in the past but have never had any regrets in doing so in the longer term. Matters not 10 or so years down the line. Good luck !
  • red10 said:
    My missus has just seen the photos and reckons more like £435k !!!!, hope you get it, it's a very nice property in a super location. We have paid over the odds a couple of times in the past but have never had any regrets in doing so in the longer term. Matters not 10 or so years down the line. Good luck !
    I have always been in that mindset & 12 years ago did just that. Paid a bit more than it was worth because it was worth it to me/us. Problem was that the us soon became me as 3 years later we divorced. Anyone remember the property slump of 2009/10. Negative equity meant I couldn't sell & get the equity I needed to buy my own property for 4 years. Had to pay the mortgage & also the rent on somewhere else during that time.......almost crippled me financially  

Property doesn't always just go up in price & you never know what's round the corner. 
  • Very nice property, hope you get it. Especially like the kitchen diner with the bi fold doors. Nice quiet location too.
  • Obviously I wouldn't suggest this, but imagine if... 

... You got half a dozen people from CL to make offers in a range of 450k-500k tomorrow. The estate agent would reluctantly let all the under bidders  (including you) know their bids hadn't been accepted. And you could reply by saying your bid (400k) remains on the table.

Then, over the next month, each of these new bids withdraws, leaving just yours.

Which you then reduce to 385k for a quick sale... 

• clb74 said:
    robroy said:
    clb74 said:
    robroy said:

Thoughts?

we do love the house 
    You in Scotland 
    Yorkshire 
    If you really want the house go £410000.
    Must be some house for that money was looking at halifax yesterday.
    And before anyone asks you can buy a 3 bed for 100k
    Boys, the drinks are on me.  @CLB74 is moving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    clb74 said:
    robroy said:
    Thanks for the advice. There was two other couples there when we were looking yesterday, so I suspect the other offers is not just bs from the ea.

I have my mortgage good to and solicitor. Will phone them tomorrow and ask where my offer stands.
    Cmon robroy we need to know the property 
    Not difficult to identify with the info given above.
    Have you ever met @clb74 ?
  • I'd see what your mortgage repayments are on 405k, 410k and 415k.

If you're happy with those figures, and this place is a 'last move property' then up the offer you feel will win your dream home.
  • robroy said:

Thoughts?

we do love the house 
    It's a bit like buying a football club.....
  • robroy said:

Thoughts?

we do love the house 
    It's a bit like buying a football club.....
    Sorry, beaten to it, twice
  • clb74 said:
    robroy said:
    clb74 said:
    robroy said:

Thoughts?

we do love the house 
    You in Scotland 
    Yorkshire 
    You say that little legs.
    The wife has seen the photos and we will be driving past shibden in the next couple couple of weeks on our way to cleckheaton.
    We might be swapping our rabbit hutch in bromley for a mansion in Yorkshire.
  • Addickted said:
    clb74 said:
    robroy said:
    Thanks for the advice. There was two other couples there when we were looking yesterday, so I suspect the other offers is not just bs from the ea.

I have my mortgage good to and solicitor. Will phone them tomorrow and ask where my offer stands.
    As i posted robroy confirmed 
  • clb74 said:
    Addickted said:
    clb74 said:
    robroy said:

As i posted robroy confirmed 
    No. But I’ve met @elf@ElfsborgAddick bury away with the bag piper. I was the twat that convinced him to come to the game, made him leave at half time (bagpipe) not elfsborg 

thanks again guys for all the advice 
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    robroy said:
    clb74 said:
    robroy said:

Thoughts?

we do love the house 
    You in Scotland 
    Yorkshire 
    You say that little legs.
    The wife has seen the photos and we will be driving past shibden in the next couple couple of weeks on our way to cleckheaton.
    We might be swapping our rabbit hutch in bromley for a mansion in Yorkshire.
    I know a very cheap removal company.
  • edited July 2019
    The house market must be different in Yorkshire then as houses prices in London & the S/E are falling.

Not heard of people paying over the asking price for years. How do you know there have been other offers on it....??  Did the EA tell you ??  I smell bullshit & the EA is just wanting you to offer more. Even with "offers over" (which is a daft concept in itself) I'd be looking at £380-£385k & going from there. 

FWIW my house is on the market for £295k. Give me £300k and it's yours.
    Sold my Dad’s house in Bexley 3 years ago. Had 3 offers, all over the asking price. One was chain free, mortgage sorted etc. 20k less than the top offer but I went for it. Good luck.