Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor will be a major success next season

13»

Comments

• Options
    https://youtu.be/AKAKrzBrKLY

Anyone who doesn't have huge love for Lyle already, watch this...
    Great watch. Anyone know who the player he’s talking about who was subbed on and subbed off is? The one who he blames for his bad attitude/reputation?
  • Options
    Must have been Gary Bowes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bowes

Have looked into Millwall's Football League Trophy matches whilst Lyle Taylor was there and they only played two games; 2007 was a 3-2 loss @ Swansea, 2008 was a 1-0 loss against Colchester (both in the first round) - Bowes came on in the 45th min according to SoccerBase and then got subbed again in the 72nd
  • Options
    His work rate is unreal, and I think that’s what’s going to keep his goal rate up. I’m convinced he’s got what it takes to go up a level. 
    at one point at Wembley, Dijk appeared putting in a tackle on our left hand side near the half way line .. my mate and I chorused almost in sync .. 'look at Dijksteel who the feck is covering at right back ?' .. the answer ? .. Lyle Taylor .. of course it was
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    His work rate is unreal, and I think that’s what’s going to keep his goal rate up. I’m convinced he’s got what it takes to go up a level. 
    at one point at Wembley, Dijk appeared putting in a tackle on our left hand side near the half way line .. my mate and I chorused almost in sync .. 'look at Dijksteel who the feck is covering at right back ?' .. the answer ? .. Lyle Taylor .. of course it was
    I remember the tackle, smashed their fella fair and square and in my opinion was a major important tackle at the time and showed them we ain't going to roll over.
    Also something he rarely done through the season. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    If we can get players of the quality of Cullen and Bielieke plus JFC fully revered and in form then yes Taylor can be the beast he was this year, but if we dont have that supply he will lose interest and be petulant and frustrated.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Different players I know, but we all saw BWP rip league 1 apart then struggle in the Championship with everyone expecting more.

Hope Lyle doesnt go the same way, but just to expect him to score loads in the Championship because he did in League 1 isnt ideal.

That being said, I hope in 10 months someone is quoting this when Lyle gets 30
    BWP was a confidence player and his levels went down in League One. At his best he was unplayable and would have been a success in the Championship.

Millwall will never have the potential we have. It doesn't matter if we are in the same division, they are an inferior club and always will be.
    BWP was very good at his best but if he wasn’t scoring there was only so much he could offer outside the box. Haynes made a bigger impact in the Championship due to his pace, as well as being bigger and stronger than BWP.

Taylor is more like Yann, a much more all round player. I remember some being unsure about Yann after he had a slow start in the Championship, but he had too much to his game not to make an impact.

With more money in the Championship since then you could argue the standard is higher, but I can still see Taylor doing well.
    Agreed, Lyle and Yann both more all-round players 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I hope Taylor doesn't change his game. It is unorthodox and I think Championship players will not enjoy playing against it as much as League One ones did not. What will be key is how the refs react. I think poorer refs let defenders off the hook a bit and am hoping better championship refs might allow Taylor to use his strength. I have never seen anything in the laws of the game saying players are not allowed to be stronger than others, but refs seem to apply this when no foul is committed.   
  • Options
    My mate keeps spotting him in Gravesends Sainsbury's.

It is a very good Sainsbury's to be fair. 

• Options
    The wife and I had chat with him there this afternoon, really decent guy.
  • Options
    So far it is panning out as I thought it might. Thank god we didn't lose him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The signs are promising but I am still of the opinion that double figures for Lyle is a successful season.

Magennis started last season with two in two (then 3 in 4 & 4 in 7) for Bolton before a massive drop off...
  • Options
    The signs are promising but I am still of the opinion that double figures for Lyle is a successful season.

Magennis started last season with two in two (then 3 in 4 & 4 in 7) for Bolton before a massive drop off...
    Sorry Callum but that means nothing mate.
    They’re chalk and cheese.
  • Options
    He’s doing well - have been to both games so far and he’s proving my initial doubts wrong! We’ve added good quality to the squad and I got the feeling yesterday when we caught a glimpse of Aneke that he and Taylor could make a strong partnership. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    He’s doing well - have been to both games so far and he’s proving my initial doubts wrong! We’ve added good quality to the squad and I got the feeling yesterday when we caught a glimpse of Aneke that he and Taylor could make a strong partnership. 
    My brother said the same thing. Wants Aneke to play up top with Taylor. 
    Has he played as a striker much? I know he scored a few last season but i thought he was more midfield player supporting up front. Anyone know how many games he was played up front? 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I always thought he was being brought in as striker. Was surprised when everyone started talking midfield. If you can score 17 goals in the most recent season, I would think we are getting him to play up front, especially with Grant gone.
  • Options
    Aneke scored 20 odd goals last season, cannot imagine he scored more than half of those playing as an attacking midfielder. Playing him further forward is definitely an option but we certainly need another attacking player if Hemed doesn't go through. 

Grant Ward would have been a decent signing but I believe he is out until Christmas. 
  • Options
    Four goals in four - not a bad start.
  • Options

Taylors decision making is faultless.He always seems to play the right ball at the right time, and there is never any doubt about his ability to hold play up when the ball comes to him.

When you consider we received money for Magennis, and got Taylor for free !

• Options
    Four goals in four - not a bad start.
    Just caught up with this thread. You called it spot on.
    Tbf though, it was a brave call based on the outgoings we had. 
    Far too early to know how the season will go but a great start, not just 'not a bad start', as you knowingly understated. 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lyle has progressed from a free transfer player to a 5m rated striker.Testament to how playing under Bowyer and his team improve players regardless of age.He will make the transformation to Championship level seamlessly,I would not mind betting that One or two premier league clubs will be taking note of his progress,so get that new contract sorted uick.
  • Options
    lyle has progressed from a free transfer player to a 5m rated striker.Testament to how playing under Bowyer and his team improve players regardless of age.He will make the transformation to Championship level seamlessly,I would not mind betting that One or two premier league clubs will be taking note of his progress,so get that new contract sorted uick.
    The free transfer element is just because he ran his contract down, not because Wimbledon didn't want him. Indeed Bosman has completely skewed the transfer market
  • Options
    The free transfer element is just because he ran his contract down, not because Wimbledon didn't want him. Indeed Bosman has completely skewed the transfer market
    Which is what he will probably do to us, but until then, enjoy his football
  • Options
    Fair play on this call muttley, looking good so far
  • Options
    He did run his contract down,but we (and other clubs who wanted him)are a step up from Wimbledon,and he was happy to come here,where he has become a better player.I believe that he is happy at Charlton but you cant blame him for maximising his earnings especially at this late stage in his career.A decent contract offer would secure his services and take away a lot of uncertainty.
  • Options
    Premiership will be no problem for Lyle. May struggle for 20+ though.
  • Options
    I don’t think he will be our player this time next year whatever our contract offer is. 
  • Options
    I don’t think he will be our player this time next year whatever our contract offer is. 
    It's a shame, but maybe next year Bowyer will think Taylor is not quite good enough for the Prem? :smile: