Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tom Lockyer - collapsed again at Bournemouth, recovering in hospital (p23)

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    This might have been mentioned already .. Tom underwent heart surgery during the close season .. SURGERY, intrusive stuff .. did he come back far too soon ?
    I imagine he was given the all clear, but I take your point.
  • Options
    I should imagine regardless of what procedure he has now , it will be almost impossible to get insurance to play again . I hope I’m wrong. 
  • Options
    I should imagine regardless of what procedure he has now , it will be almost impossible to get insurance to play again . I hope I’m wrong. 
    That was the reason Erickson came back to play in the uk as he was unable to do so in Italy after he had his cardiac arrest and then IED fitted. 
  • Options
    Whilst in King's waiting for my bypass three years ago, the experts said that with your health, in many ways it is a lottery.
    My diet and lifestyle contributed to my heart attack, but professional sportsman being extremely fit and leading a healthy lifestyle bring me back to what I was told in August 2020.

• Options
    Great news. First step.
  • Options
    Premier League footballer Tom Lockyer has been discharged from hospital after having a device that can restart his heart fitted by doctors following his collapse on the pitch during a match.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/other/footballer-has-heart-device-fitted-after-cardiac-arrest-collapse/ar-AA1lQppA?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=887ceac39160424fa5f0989c49d5cfec&ei=47
  • Options
    Premier League footballer Tom Lockyer has been discharged from hospital after having a device that can restart his heart fitted by doctors following his collapse on the pitch during a match.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/other/footballer-has-heart-device-fitted-after-cardiac-arrest-collapse/ar-AA1lQppA?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=887ceac39160424fa5f0989c49d5cfec&ei=47
    My daughter has one of these after her cardiac arrest. They are truly amazing, not only will they shock the heart immediately after a cardiac arrest they also have a pace maker that can help correct irregular rhythms before a cardiac arrest. The leads connecting the device to the heart work like a permanent ECG so when the device is checked they can see all the activity on the heart since the last check. My daughters one works on blue tooth so they just link an iPad to it to check it and she has an app on her phone so we can send readouts straight to her cardiologist if she is experiencing any kind of symptoms. 

One of the reasons Lockyer is out of hospital so quickly is that he was able to be defibrillated almost immediately after his cardiac arrest which meant he didn’t have to be put in an induced coma while his body recovered. If you’re going to have an out of hospital cardiac arrest have it in a professional  football stadium!

I do think there is a chance Lockyer will return to playing now he has an ICD. The barrier to that is more likely to be any meds he is prescribed to prevent the arrhythmia, he would obviously get a therapeutic use exemption, but if he ends up on high dose beta blockers it’s unluckily he would be able to get his heart up to a high enough level for professional football. Might help for penalty shootouts though.
    Interesting insight - glad your daughter is ok .  I guess Blind and Eriksen show it can happen although each case must be different 
  • Options
    Thanks @wmcf123 And you’re right each case is different and depends on the cause of the cardiac arrest and what treatment is needed afterwards. I have to say, great as it is that Erickson returned I do feel a bit sorry for his partner, it must be so anxiety provoking every time he plays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My daughter has one of these after her cardiac arrest. They are truly amazing, not only will they shock the heart immediately after a cardiac arrest they also have a pace maker that can help correct irregular rhythms before a cardiac arrest. The leads connecting the device to the heart work like a permanent ECG so when the device is checked they can see all the activity on the heart since the last check. My daughters one works on blue tooth so they just link an iPad to it to check it and she has an app on her phone so we can send readouts straight to her cardiologist if she is experiencing any kind of symptoms. 

One of the reasons Lockyer is out of hospital so quickly is that he was able to be defibrillated almost immediately after his cardiac arrest which meant he didn’t have to be put in an induced coma while his body recovered. If you’re going to have an out of hospital cardiac arrest have it in a professional  football stadium!

I do think there is a chance Lockyer will return to playing now he has an ICD. The barrier to that is more likely to be any meds he is prescribed to prevent the arrhythmia, he would obviously get a therapeutic use exemption, but if he ends up on high dose beta blockers it’s unluckily he would be able to get his heart up to a high enough level for professional football. Might help for penalty shootouts though.
    Amazing what can be done nowadays.
    Best wishes to your daughter.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Thanks @ElfsborgAddick I hope you’re now fully recovered from your heart attack and bypass, that’s much bigger surgery than having an ICD fitted
  • Options
    Brilliant news he's well on the mend & back home 
  • Options
    Thanks @wmcf123 And you’re right each case is different and depends on the cause of the cardiac arrest and what treatment is needed afterwards. I have to say, great as it is that Erickson returned I do feel a bit sorry for his partner, it must be so anxiety provoking every time he plays.

So pleased that your daughter is doing well and sharing the information GP.
    I agree the nearest and dearest suffer and all cases most be slightly different as has been proved with some players retiring and some carrying on playing, with some sadly passing on after collapsing on the field.

The problem is after collapsing twice for Tom Lockyer, the second time being a cardiac arrest, the anxiety levels will be high for his family, friends and apprehension for his colleges, coaches and fans alike.

Being fit for general life compared to pushing your body as a professional athlete are poles apart and I trust the risk assessment for Tom is made clear to him.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

First class response from Lockyer - but I don’t think anyone would expect much different. 
  • Options
    Yeah Top guy, one of the few players I miss not playing for Charlton. I am trying to avoid the most comment catchphrase to use, and so I will say it in another way. He always gave 200% and put his body on the line. The amoubnt of times and goals he "saved" from blocked shots etc. 
  • Options
    The type of character that would make an inspirational manager - move over Appleton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope it's a similar situation to Enoch Mwepu at Brighton where Tom can be offered a coaching role if he wants it. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Oakster2 said:
    The type of character that would make an inspirational manager - move over Appleton
    I hope that if he decides he can't risk playing on, that Luton look after him well and offer him a coaching role and a chance to do his badges. 
    I imagine they will, and quite rightly so.
  • Options
    edited February 20

Tom Lockyer: I was technically dead for two minutes 40 seconds after cardiac arrest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68346337
  • Options
    Congrats to him and his other half. He now has something more important than football to consider when making any decisions about his future.
  • Options
    Really good interview with Tom on the Rest is Football podcast with Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Micah Richards today.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Congrats to him and his other half. He now has something more important than football to consider when making any decisions about his future.
    Fantastic news for Tom and his "missus" as he refers to her. As Tom has intimated, his perspective on life had changed with the arrival of his daughter, as it has done, I'm sure, for anyone who has ever become a parent. I hope that, despite any urge to get back out there, whether that is now or in the future, that this "nappy factor" will make him appreciate even more that he has nothing to prove as a footballer to himself, his family or the fans.

With that new perspective, one fantastic thing that Tom might be encouraged to endorse would be a game to raise money for a charity such as CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young). A local lad, Ben Daniels who played cricket for Old Elthamians CC, went to Ravens Wood School,  played football for Ex Blues FC and tennis at Bromley Tennis Club tragically passed away in 2011 as a result of an undiagnosed and undetected heart condition and his father has been heavily involved in CRY since. In addition, as I've mentioned previously on here, a friend of my son's, Ben, suffered a cardiac arrest in Australia some 18 months ago but thankfully, Ben survived (purely by the grace of God or luck whichever way one wants to look at it) and subsequently had the same op as Tom to fit a defib. Last summer Ben raised tens of thousands for the cause and a game, say at the end of the season, where Tom could ask any number of names to play be they pros or celebrities, would go even further to help such charities.    
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Really good interview with Tom on the Rest is Football podcast with Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Micah Richards today.
    Yeah really good episode that.