Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer on Talksport 10:20 Today

edited June 2019 in General Charlton
Highlights:
- Joe Aribo is Going to Rangers.
- Rangers is the wrong move right now. 
- In footballing terms, Joe will not progress playing against the other Scottish PL sides. 
- Joe wasn't made aware of an approach by Brentford by his agent. 
- Financially the Agent gets a big deal by going to Rangers. 
- A move to Europe or the Premier league will have made more sense. 
- Bowyer was never leaving, he always wanted to sign. 

Section featuring Bowyer can be found here. The call starts from about 00:19:30 minutes.
https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1561626000/1561626000/ & continues https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1561626000/1561627800/

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Highlights:
    - Joe Aribo is Going to Rangers.
    - Rangers is the wrong move right now. 
    - In footballing terms, Joe will not progress playing against the other Scottish PL sides. 
    - Joe wasn't made aware of an approach by Brentford by his agent
    - Financially the Agent gets a big deal by going to Rangers. 
    - A move to Europe or the Premier league will have made more sense. 
    - He was never leaving, he always wanted to sign. 

Surely that's in breach of rules that?
  • Options
    last line makes no sense

Agents always an easy excuse
  • Options
    Not sure what that interview achieves tbh.

He’s gone, I am sure Bowyer/Gallen did their best to persuade him to stay but the above sounds a little bitter that

a) he did not stay and
    b) we get hardly any compo which is what i think has stalled our ‘5’ in more than any sale.
  • Options
    Bowyer getting panned on Twitter right now by the Ranger Weegies for daring to say Brentford was a better move for Joe.
  • Options
    Brentford would storm the Scotch Prem

; )
  • Options
    I suppose it comes down to football progression and money. 20k a week is a lot for a young lad to turn down but I do think he has a talent that could take him all the way. He has taken a backwards step so either doesn't back himself or puts money above progression. I think he has increased his chances of earning less money over his career with this decision.
  • Options
    Not sure what that interview achieves tbh.

He’s gone, I am sure Bowyer/Gallen did their best to persuade him to stay but the above sounds a little bitter that

a) he did not stay and
    b) we get hardly any compo which is what i think has stalled our ‘5’ in more than any sale.
    Bow did say, we knew 100% that he was leaving. 

I agree it did sound bitter that we only get £300k-ish  for Joe to go to Rangers, whilst his agent gets a large sum. 

Bow did mention that Konsa made a smart move going to Brentford as they're so good at developing players. 

No mention however of Shelvey's or Gomez's moves to Liverpool though... IMO a similar move to Rangers but with fewer competitive sides in the SPL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a sad day when Brentford are considered a better bet than us. However, I do see that it would have been a better move for Joe. I think extending his contract by a year with us with a get out clause would have been his best call and he could have played his way to a good Premier League contract. Seems I might have more faith in his ability than he does!
    This happened 5 years ago mate, where you been? 
  • Options
    Brentford would storm the Scotch Prem

; )
    We would probably come third in it.
  • Options
    I am not sure whether I am with Bow or not on this. 

I can see the point he is making, but I can understand Joe going to play under one of the two best English midfielders England have produced in many years. 

If Gerard goes to Newcastle though, it'd seem a very, very poor move for Joe. 

Maybe the delay is that he is waiting to see what happens there?
  • Options
    Aribo's agent sounds like a right bandit!
  • Options
    Derby may also be looking for a new manager imminently. Gerard says he is aware of the link being made between him and Derby but is (in the time honoured manner) fully focused on the forthcoming season with Rangers.

Doubts about Gerard’s future could delay Aribo’s transfer but, in truth, I am clutching at straws.

The reference to Brentford’s approach does rather suggest that there was a dearth of other concrete offers to Joe, which I find surprising.
  • Options
    the portfolio of players the agency joe aribo is on is very interesting.  josh maja who got a big move to Bordeaux one of the many players  
  • Options
    Aribo's agent was, I believe, in hot water over something he did in Germany recently.  Sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant chap.

His company's client list has some talent on it but I believe he is one of those more motivated by money than the welfare of his players

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/elite-project-group-limited/beraterfirma/berater/5620
  • Options
    Imagine seeing Joe at The Valley in a Brentford shirt! Agony...
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    We'll see Konsa in a Brentford shirt, why would Aribo be any different?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Missed It said:
    Aribo's agent sounds like a right bandit!
    Bet Sunderland fans agree

Same agent as Josh Maja who turned down all offers to move outside England too - Makes you wonder what deal Bordeaux paid the Agent in that case too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Simon Jordan just said something like Lee Bowyer is angry that Aribo was only allowed to develop because Lee brought him in from being a bit part player under Robinson and focused on developing him and Bowyer is clearly offended because Aribo is ignoring his advice and how he has helped him so far. 

Rangers fans only have the UEFA/Europe card as an argument against Bow's points. 

A lot think we in England don't respect their league enough. 

I'd love to see where Celtic and Rangers would actually end up after 3 years in the English League.
  • Options
    I would suggest it's also a blinding move for Aribo's bank accounts.
  • Options
    Vague Teams to qualify to play in UEFA  in 18/19 season...

Rangers
    Viitorul Constanta 
    Stjarnan
    Nomme Kalju
    KI Klaksvik
    Zalgiris
    Fola Esch
    Prishtina
    Glenavon
    Siroki Brijeg

To the Rangers fans using Europe as a reason it will be a good move... 

Nice one.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Dont the players have an option to use the PFA as their Agent rather than a third party like what we're seeing here

If so would love to know how many times clubs have been screwed around when its the PFA acting on behalf of the player as in those cases they'll surely have less personal gain out of a deal?

i.e. Remember Garry Nelson saying in his book that he was PFA Chairman and had a young Kim Grant approach him outside the Valley about a new deal we'd offered him, Nelson said that he told Grant to accept it as was in his best interests to stay with us at the time
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Ferryman said:
    We'll see Konsa in a Brentford shirt, why would Aribo be any different?

Well for starters we were 3rd tier when he left, and needed 2nd tier football as much as Joe does now, but we couldn't offer that.

• Options
    Dont the players have an option to use the PFA as their Agent rather than a third party like what we're seeing here

If so would love to know how many times clubs have been screwed around when its the PFA acting on behalf of the player as in those cases they'll surely have less personal gain out of a deal?

i.e. Remember Garry Nelson saying in his book that he was PFA Chairman and had a young Kim Grant approach him outside the Valley about a new deal we'd offered him, Nelson said that he told Grant to accept it as was in his best interests to stay with us at the time
    As far as I know, the PFA tried to establish a principle where agents would earn fees only from clubs ( like normal search agents) while the PFA would look after the players' interests. I believe it failed to take off because club chairmen didn't support it. Some club chairmen have suspiciously close relationships with some agents. Indeed, see the "scourge of agents", RD and his relationship with Duhan.

As it stands, agents will always engineer moves, always, and they will push players towards the move that earns the agent the most revenue. That is not an emotional statement. It is a simple description of the business model. No agent furthers his business by endorsing a stay put recommendation to someone like Aribo, when there is interest from other clubs. It stinks, and needs to change fundamentally.

which agency is it, btw? I will try to call them out on Twitter. 
  • Options

As far as I know, the PFA tried to establish a principle where agents would earn fees only from clubs ( like normal search agents) while the PFA would look after the players' interests. I believe it failed to take off because club chairmen didn't support it. Some club chairmen have suspiciously close relationships with some agents. Indeed, see the "scourge of agents", RD and his relationship with Duhan.

As it stands, agents will always engineer moves, always, and they will push players towards the move that earns the agent the most revenue. That is not an emotional statement. It is a simple description of the business model. No agent furthers his business by endorsing a stay put recommendation to someone like Aribo, when there is interest from other clubs. It stinks, and needs to change fundamentally.

which agency is it, btw? I will try to call them out on Twitter. 

Not strictly true, Richard. Some (they are in the minority) will advise against a move in the player's interests and manage their careers to maximise the player (and the agent's) whole career income.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Also another Rangers fan called Bowyer an average player at his best?

Bowyer played 527 career games and scored 79 career goals got 23 career assists and 397 of those games were in the Premier League. 57 goals and 11 assists in the Prem.

5 of his goals were in the Champions League and 10 in the UEFA Cup.

Bowyer played 15 Seasons in the Premier League and the clubs he played for finished:

Season
    1. Leeds 11th
    2. Leeds 5th
    3. Leeds 4th
    4. Leeds 3rd
    5. Leeds 4th
    6. Leeds 5th
    7. Leeds 15th/West Ham18th (Loaned to West Ham for 10 games)
    8. Leeds 19th
    9. Newcastle 14th
    10. Newcastle 7th
    11. West Ham 15th
    12. West Ham 10th
    13. West Ham 9th
    14. Birmingham 9th
    15. Birmingham 18th
    An average player cannot play 15 years in the best league in the world, when it was comfortably the best league too.