Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The false hope of Wembley

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    Dr Kish reckons we are signing 4 or 5 this week.
    It's just a re-hash of the Rich Cawley article in SLP. No new news.
    Replacing numbers and not improving the squad.  It happens each season, bring on the next round of loans and six month contracts.
  • Options
    Wembley papered over the cracks widening more by the day.

The exodus has not surprised me.
    The exodus would've probably been even worse in league one, as would the budget, as would the signings we'll make.

I'd rather be struggling in the championship than be a mid-table league one side.

Let's see what the signings look like in 6 weeks time, we haven't even returned for pre-season yet.
  • Options

The exodus would've probably been even worse in league one, as would the budget, as would the signings we'll make.

I'd rather be struggling in the championship than be a mid-table league one side.

Let's see what the signings look like in 6 weeks time, we haven't even returned for pre-season yet.
    I take your point, but this reads of vague optimism.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I reckon we will probably be a bit of a dogfight but we will stay up. About 18th, 19th. First season. The medium to long term will be to be a fully established in the Champ. Then we can aim higher.
    Not under the current owner. 

Maybe not kicking on if the old fart is still there. But in relation to next season. I reckon with the Valley and Bow and co.. I feel we will comout ok in the end even though I feel a relegation battle is likely.
    We will not be ok under the current owner
  • Options

True, but that's only because of my trust in Bowyer and Gallen
  • Options

Good management staff is our saving grace at the moment.

If Bowyer and gang were to have gone things could have collapsed like a pack of cards.
  • Options
    Phillips, Sarr, Morgan, Taylor and Djiksteel (not necessarily RB) possibly Bonne and Page will be quality in the Championship. We just need to fill a few holes.
  • Options

Good management staff is our saving grace at the moment.

If Bowyer and gang were to have gone things could have collapsed like a pack of cards.
    I'd substitute 'would' for 'could' in your comment Elfs ((:>) .. I really dread to think of the consequences had Bowyer et al left .. even Duchatelet realised this .. 

as has been said on here multiple times, player's contracts generally expire at the end of June and that's when most frantic biz will be done .. there are a lot of players on and coming onto the market who will ask for a lot more than they are really worth and will get a dose of 'wages reality' right across the EFL .. and there is still well over a month before the off at  Blackburn 
  • Options
    Phillips, Sarr, Morgan, Taylor and Djiksteel (not necessarily RB) possibly Bonne and Page will be quality in the Championship. We just need to fill a few holes.
    LB, CB, RB, CDM, RM, LM, CEO...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    When did Bowyer play wide midfielders? 😉
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Chizz said:
    When did Bowyer play wide midfielders? 😉
    Although he may well want someone in the squad who would fit a diamond, but is also capable of playing wide, if needed ..... it could provide another tactical option.

But then, we can't be sure Bowyer will even stick with a diamond as his plan A.

• Options
    My opening post was not negativity for the sake if it so please drop that kind of nonsense. I was expressing regret that even winning at Wembley to get promoted was not enough to keep a bit more of a supposedly strongly bonded squad together.

I suppose I was falsely optimistic that the chance to be a part of Charlton having a run at the Championship would be enough to keep Bauer, Aribo and possibly others. But of course Roland has not given Bowyer the resources to do so. Yet again it is major rebuild time and spending the first few matches trying to learn who is who. Promotion hasn't changed that.
  • Options
    My opening post was not negativity for the sake if it so please drop that kind of nonsense. I was expressing regret that even winning at Wembley to get promoted was not enough to keep a bit more of a supposedly strongly bonded squad together.

I suppose I was falsely optimistic that the chance to be a part of Charlton having a run at the Championship would be enough to keep Bauer, Aribo and possibly others. But of course Roland has not given Bowyer the resources to do so. Yet again it is major rebuild time and spending the first few matches trying to learn who is who. Promotion hasn't changed that.
    But NONE of the faithful would expect anything more/less with RD still holding the purse strings. 

Little will change until the Rattenfanger von Hameln does what he was paid to do ......

( Anyone have a magic pipe ?)
  • Options

Anyone who is outstanding will be sold in January.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Sort the players out first
  • Options
    Must be the first preseason that we have gone into with a permanent goalkeeper, since Roland has arrived.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Who cares . At least I got this lovely picture out of the day 😄
    I got one of these from my daughter on father's day, along with a card that thanked me for 'not being a massive twat' so it was a double celebration. 
    I’m reading that as you’ve upped your game from being a massive twat to just twat level , fair play 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everyone keeps chucking around we will sign 4/5 but will that 4 or 5 be adequate replacement sometimes quality over quantity, I know a few of us fancied tom eaves but he hasn’t been tested at this level 
  • Options
    Winning at Wembley in the way we did was never going to be about what it meant for transfer activity etc. 

It was purely about seeing Charlton win at Wembley, in an incredible last minute moment - whatever happens/doesn’t happen next shouldn’t taint that moment at all.
  • Options
    Where can I get one of these please. Please pm me thanks 
    Beds, where did you get the picture, Id love one myself.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Where can I get one of these please. Please pm me thanks 
    Beds, where did you get the picture, Id love one myself.
    https://www.dgriffin.net/apps/search?q=Bauer
  • Options
    Obviously it’s too early to have any idea what the squad will be like come cut off day
    but with The Helmet still currently in control it will be a big ask to stay up and to me would be a much better achievement than the promotion we just achieved.

0% Autos     ....... 0.5%   3rd-6th ........ 5% 7th-12th ..........    55% 13th-21st .......
    39.5%  Relegation 

100% Roland Out 

hopefully new owners in with enough time to make a difference!
  • Options
    Obviously it’s too early to have any idea what the squad will be like come cut off day
    but with The Helmet still currently in control it will be a big ask to stay up and to me would be a much better achievement than the promotion we just achieved.

0% Autos     ....... 0.5%   3rd-6th ........ 5% 7th-12th ..........    55% 13th-21st .......
    39.5%  Relegation 

100% Roland Out 

hopefully new owners in with enough time to make a difference!
    I make you hugely optimistic, if RD still owns us - even for the next couple of weeks - then I would say it’s over 50% chance of relegation (and 100% Roland Out).
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It could of been scored by someone that’s just signed for the scum on a 4 year deal and it wouldn’t taint it for me. Nothing ever will.
    Nothing can take that sheer disbelief feeling away and then the amazing celebration I had with my family 90 secs later. 

So what, we might go down, we might be mid table, we might make play offs. 

There's more important things in life and you have to grab these special moments and remember regardless.

I'd have been more pissed off if I hadn't watched that team bond and make small in roads every week at home every game last season to actually see how we got there.