Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Floyd Rd Mural

We've all walked past it since 1976 and some may have already seen it but here's the history of the Floyd rd mural, I'd love to see it repainted to look like new one day

https://www.forwallswithtongues.org.uk/projects/gmw-floyd-road-1976/

Comments

• Options
    I would rather see a picture of Clive mendonca on that wall.
    Just my opinion. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It reminds me of a mural that was painted when I was a kid In the late 70’s in Barnfield Gardens , Plumstead by Rolf Harris . Me and my mates sat there and watched him do it ( the painting that is!)
     I’ve just googled it and unbelievably it’s still there ! Although it looks like it’s had a dirty protest on it at some stage ! ( bottom right ) 
  • Options
    It reminds me of a mural that was painted when I was a kid In the late 70’s in Barnfield Gardens , Plumstead by Rolf Harris . Me and my mates sat there and watched him do it ( the painting that is!)
     I’ve just googled it and unbelievably it’s still there ! Although it looks like it’s had a dirty protest on it at some stage ! ( bottom right ) 
    I lived on the estate and watched him paint this mural. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    We would have been there at the same time !. I lived just around the corner  ( Vanberry Rd) 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    We would have been there at the same time !. I lived just around the corner  ( Vanberry Rd
    I lived on the estate and watched him do this. The cat and the fiddle.
    I now live just round the corner from Vambery in Vernham
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    We would have been there at the same time !. I lived just around the corner  ( Vanberry Rd
    I lived on the estate and watched him do this. The cat and the fiddle.
    I now live just round the corner from Vambery in Vernham
    I remember as a teenager that was the closest place to go an buy an eighth haha
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    We would have been there at the same time !. I lived just around the corner  ( Vanberry Rd) 
    Acworth Hse. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    Acworth Hse. 
    I thought you were accusing me of being Acworth then ! 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    Acworth Hse. 
    I lived in Rixon House
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nug said:
    https://youtu.be/vD5pv8RLz9g

36:40 in this documentary 
    Wow. That is fantastic footage . 
  • Options
    Nug said:

I really really enjoyed that. 
    Growing up in the 70’s was just the best. 
    Thanks for sharing xx
  • Options
    how about a variation on this opp Charlton Station

• Options
    edited June 2019
  • Options

Surprised we haven't got one already. Lots of stations in South East London (and Surrey borders - Selhurst!) have had murals done in the last couple of years. Recreations of old railway signage and other random stuff - Catford's got a greyhound mural, Lewisham's got people holding hands:

We should have a word with this bloke: https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/arts/a-film-set-artist-is-transforming-londons-railway-bridges-with-retro-artwork-a3905391.html
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Surprised we haven't got one already. Lots of stations in South East London (and Surrey borders - Selhurst!) have had murals done in the last couple of years. Recreations of old railway signage and other random stuff - Catford's got a greyhound mural, Lewisham's got people holding hands:

We should have a word with this bloke: https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/arts/a-film-set-artist-is-transforming-londons-railway-bridges-with-retro-artwork-a3905391.html
    That's actually a v good idea

• Options
    As much as i appreciate the original art and the celebration of the tenants at the time, like everything,times change. It could easily be re rouched and painted to look new but it seems that would be the tenants choice? Personaly i think that spot could be really updated such as this recent street in Peckham
    https://images.app.goo.gl/3dqJCyG1r2B9wZ4v5
    However i understand the history of that piece at the time and maybe a repaint could help
  • Options
    see this every home game as opposite the Rad.

Do it in red, white and black and add "To the Valley"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nug said:

Great find, great backchat from the kids
  • Options
    @Bedsaddick Remember that well, was covered live on Thames News if I recall?

Was told that Harris was rude and pretty pompous to the locals.
  • Options
    BDL said:

When you say “rude”.........
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    BDL said:

I was only about 10 or 11 so I didn’t have any interaction with him....Thankfully 
  • Options
    I couldn’t believe my luck when my Jim’ll Fix It letter got chosen.....

Dear Jim, can you please fix it for me to meet Rolf Harris. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Kilburn has a fantastic mural under the bridge by Kilburn station. 
  • Options
    I remember when it was new. Sadly needs painting over now due to neglect.
  • Options
    see this every home game as opposite the Rad.

Do it in red, white and black and add "To the Valley"
    We'd be sending away supporters to Makro or The Bugle