Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Lenox project - for those interested in our local maritime history

edited June 2019 in Not Sports Related
I've recently become aware of this fantastic project (despite being in Millwall country) which needs pledges of support to succeed by August 2019 - I think this part covers the building itself rather than the ship - I've pledged to it..

https://www.spacehive.com/thelenoxproject

Our project will open up to the public the undercroft of a Grade II listed building which has been unused for more than a decade and is one of the very few buildings from Deptford’s dockyard that are still standing. We will create a destination in Deptford to showcase the area's ship-building heritage, encouraging more people to visit and enjoy the beautiful riverfront location. Our plan is to restore and fit out the undercroft, preserving and enhancing the historic structure, and provide new facilities including a public event and display area and a workshop for building the ship’s model and small wooden boats, where we can train apprentices in related skills. The display area will house artefacts specific to Deptford's maritime history. We will establish a base for the Lenox Project, which aims to build a full-size wooden ship on the neighbouring site at Convoys Wharf. We will make these new facilities accessible within the restrictions of the listed building consent.

What we'll deliver:

• A public visitor centre and attraction for Deptford
  • Skills training in woodwork and wooden boat building
  • New event space and events programme
  • Display space for Deptford dockyard and maritime artefacts
  • A Deptford-centric maritime resource library

Why it's a great idea:

We want to bring alive a forgotten but significant part of Deptford’s history, celebrating maritime heritage, wooden ship-building, and the rich social history of the area. With the planned redevelopment of the former Royal Dockyard we have been inspired by the need to preserve and celebrate the heritage and character of this part of Deptford and prevent it being lost. We want to offer training and apprenticeships, particularly in 'eye-to-hand' skills and heritage crafts, offering new routes to employment. The Lenox Project charity already has strong support in the local community and having a base will give us the opportunity to build on this and expand our programme of events and outreach. We have been inspired by projects in France, Sweden and Spain where replica ship construction has rejuvenated public interest in maritime heritage, dockyard history and ship-building crafts.

Steps to get it done:

• Restoration of fabric of undercroft
  • New facility building works
  • Fit out of workshop
  • Fit out of event space and office
  • Soft opening event for backers
  • Open to the public

We are bringing into public use an historic premises which would otherwise be inaccessible, and in a way which links directly to its history. We are working with the building owner to preserve and restore a beautiful listed building. The building has a prominent riverfront site and is which in time will become more busy. Its location will enable us to engage with local residents as well as those who are using the Thames Path. The long term plan for the Lenox project is to build a replica 17th century naval ship on Convoys Wharf (the adjoining site) where the original ship was built. While the construction programme for the Convoys Wharf site remains unclear, this project secures an offsite location to establish the project and ensure interest is maintained.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    It looks like a really good project
  • Options
    razil said:
    I've recently become aware of this fantastic project (despite being in Millwall country) which needs pledges of support to succeed by August 2019 - I think this part covers the building itself rather than the ship - I've pledged to it..

Our project will open up to the public the undercroft of a Grade II listed building which has been unused for more than a decade and is one of the very few buildings from Deptford’s dockyard that are still standing. We will create a destination in Deptford to showcase the area's ship-building heritage, encouraging more people to visit and enjoy the beautiful riverfront location. Our plan is to restore and fit out the undercroft, preserving and enhancing the historic structure, and provide new facilities including a public event and display area and a workshop for building the ship’s model and small wooden boats, where we can train apprentices in related skills. The display area will house artefacts specific to Deptford's maritime history. We will establish a base for the Lenox Project, which aims to build a full-size wooden ship on the neighbouring site at Convoys Wharf. We will make these new facilities accessible within the restrictions of the listed building consent.

What we'll deliver:

Why it's a great idea:

We want to bring alive a forgotten but significant part of Deptford’s history, celebrating maritime heritage, wooden ship-building, and the rich social history of the area. With the planned redevelopment of the former Royal Dockyard we have been inspired by the need to preserve and celebrate the heritage and character of this part of Deptford and prevent it being lost. We want to offer training and apprenticeships, particularly in 'eye-to-hand' skills and heritage crafts, offering new routes to employment. The Lenox Project charity already has strong support in the local community and having a base will give us the opportunity to build on this and expand our programme of events and outreach. We have been inspired by projects in France, Sweden and Spain where replica ship construction has rejuvenated public interest in maritime heritage, dockyard history and ship-building crafts.

Steps to get it done:

• Fit out of workshop
    • Open to the public

We are bringing into public use an historic premises which would otherwise be inaccessible, and in a way which links directly to its history. We are working with the building owner to preserve and restore a beautiful listed building. The building has a prominent riverfront site and is which in time will become more busy. Its location will enable us to engage with local residents as well as those who are using the Thames Path. The long term plan for the Lenox project is to build a replica 17th century naval ship on Convoys Wharf (the adjoining site) where the original ship was built. While the construction programme for the Convoys Wharf site remains unclear, this project secures an offsite location to establish the project and ensure interest is maintained.

razil said:

What we'll deliver:

Why it's a great idea:

Steps to get it done:

• Fit out of workshop
    • Open to the public

what's the estimated cost ?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    £418k

https://www.spacehive.com/thelenoxproject#/costs

not sure that includes the ship itself which must be a considerable amount more I would have thought, but perhaps its funded via a different funding/investment model, I've enquired
  • Options
    I know a couple of the people involved in this, it's a great project - was basically designed to make sure locals got something out of the Convoys Wharf development.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I can confirm this part is the building part is phase I and part of section 106 add on to a development 
  • Options
    Deptford is a very historic area and its maritime history is fascinating.  I hope that this project succeeds!