Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mental Duchatelet statements

Surely today’s ramblings rank as the most mental of statements from our esteemed owner, but has anyone got links to his previous statements particularly the {...,...} one?

We need to publicise his mentalness even further than just today’s statement on Bowyer to crank up the pressure on him and so a consolidated list would be useful

Comments

• I believe it’s the worst yet. 

Certainly the the most insulting to a myriad of people, and could possibly be challenged in a court of law. 
  • Surely today’s ramblings rank as the most mental of statements from our esteemed owner, but has anyone got links to his previous statements particularly the {...,...} one?

We need to publicise his mentalness even further than just today’s statement on Bowyer to crank up the pressure on him and so a consolidated list would be useful
    All of his previous statements were in the public domain, as is this one. They all make perfect sense to one man - anyone trying to say otherwise is pissing in the wind (in two shit's warped mind).
  • https://web.archive.org/web/20160420200101/http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/statement-3009419.aspx

Archive link to Original Protest Statement above. Text:

Dear Fans, 

Last Sunday, some individuals did not come to The Valley to watch the game and support the team, but came to create disorder on the pitch and interfere with the players and the game. Disorder which is, allegedly, needed to drive change in ownership and management. 

Whom would they expect the club to be sold to? How long would a sales process take? Is it easier to sell the club when it is in League One rather than Championship? 

Some individuals seem to want the club to fail. This is a confused approach, since following this logic leads to exactly the opposite of what we all want: staying in the Championship. 

Allegations regarding the CEO are misrepresented* and are continuously used as a method to discredit and fuel personal abuse, hatred and with a risk to personal safety. 

Although certain individuals tell you it does not happen, in recent weeks Roland Duchatelet has met the fans, the CEO has met with several different groups of fans and the communications team have attended several fans meetings.  We will continue these meetings and constructive dialogue with fans. 

We have 9 games left in which we have to get 6 points more than our competitors. 

The team just got 7 points out of 3 games. 

We still have the chance to make it happen with the support of the fans until the very last game. We must believe it is still possible. Every football fan knows the 12th man is a crucial factor in the success on the pitch.  

*I think the difference is also because fans don't see themselves as customers and {…} they go to the restaurants with their families every week and they go to the cinema but if they aren't satisfied with the product will they go and scream to the people in charge of it? No they don't, but they do it with a football club and that's very weird (meaning unique) because they feel a sense of ownership of a football club and that's a really difficult balance of how you try and engage with fans and make them, incorporated into some of the decisions of the club, {…}. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c77e0391c719/owner-roland-duchatelet-demands-efl-acquire-charlton

That one, where he asks the EFL to buy us. Text:

Roland Duchatelet acquired Charlton on January 3rd 2014.  

At that time of the purchase, Charlton competed in the Championship, a competition that was governed by the Financial Fair Play rules (FFP). Those rules allowed a club to make an annual operating loss of £3 million plus a further maximum of £3-5 million of shareholder investment. With an average annual turnover of £12m, Charlton was thus allowed to make losses up to 50-60% of its turnover.

During seasons 2013/14 and 2014/15 several EFL club meetings were held to discuss a change of the FFP rules. After several unsuccessful votes in the space of a couple of months, in November 2014, the EFL finally found a majority amongst the Championship clubs to allow a club to have permitted losses up to a maximum of £39m over three seasons or £15m over three seasons in case there is no shareholder investment.

Thus, 10 months after the purchase, Duchatelet’s Charlton had to compete in a competition where clubs are allowed to lose £13m per season which equates to 108% of its turnover. Under these new Profitability and Sustainability rules (P&S), the EFL is allowing or actually forcing shareholders to double their shareholder investments and thus dramatically increasing the financial burden on those shareholders.

While the attractiveness of the Championship competition has always been that it’s the most competitive league in the world, it is now becoming renowned for being the biggest financial graveyard or black hole in football.

Under the Owners’ and Directors’ test, the EFL has to assess and give its final approval for the purchase of a club. It does so with a special focus ‘to protect the image and integrity of The League and its competitions, the well-being of the Clubs and the interests of all the stakeholders in those Clubs’ (Appendix 3 of the EFL Regulations). If this is one of the objectives of the EFL, it’s hard to see how under these P&S rules increasing the (shareholders’) debt of clubs is protecting the well-being of the Clubs and the interests of their stakeholders.

The first seasons under Duchatelet Charlton finished 18th and 12th in the Championship. After two years of ownership without problems Charlton got too many injuries relative to its limited squad size. Results were poor. Fans started to criticise and then protest, sometimes during the games, which didn’t help. Charlton got relegated to League One.

As a result of the damaging and sometimes criminal fans protests and the changed financial climate of the P&S rules, Charlton were officially put up for sale at the end of 2017. A few months later Heads of Terms were in place with two candidate buyers, pending the funding of the transaction.

However, new incidents were created by a coalition of fans against the owner based on fake news, like young players were not getting water to drink and staff not being paid due bonuses. It’s hard to deny that such actions could jeopardise the ongoing purchase process. The EFL said it would intervene to find out who was telling the truth but nothing like that happened. They did not really investigate things. Moreover EFL representatives suggested to the group of critics that their claims of August 2018 relating to the bonus might have some basis (despite the fact the EFL hadn’t investigated). Two fans found sufficient support in this ambivalent attitude of the EFL to come to Belgium last weekend. They tagged and damaged several properties of Duchatelet, the homes of two friends of Duchatelet and the house of the friend of a friend.

Football has been the fastest growing industry in England in recent decades.

However which foreign candidate owner will be prepared to invest millions to get a chance to bring a club to the Premier League and at the same time accept acts of vandalism against his property and intrusion in his private life, wherever in the world he/she lives?

Therefore the owner demands that the EFL acquires his football club.

Information on the owner: https://www.cafc.co.uk/club/club-overview/ownership

------------------------------------------

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cd00045a6ae2/congratulations-to-the-promoted-teams

Wherein he congratulates Chris Wilder. Text:

Please see below for a message from Charlton Athletic owner Roland Duchatelet.

I would like to congratulate Luton Town and Barnsley on their promotion to the Championship.

I would also like to pass on my congratulations Norwich City and to Chris Wilder and Sheffield United on their respective promotions to the Premier League.

What Wilder has achieved, with the playing budget he has, is very impressive and something he, the club and their fans can be very proud of.

He came close to joining us in the summer of 2016 when we selected him to be our manager but he decided to go to Sheffield United where he knew he would be welcomed by everybody.

While their seasons’ may be finished, we still have a very important few weeks ahead of us and our focus has to be on getting promotion to the Championship.

The staff, the players and the Charlton fans have all played their part this year and now we need one last collective push to give us the best chance of promotion.

---------------------------------------

(To be continued)

• I think I'm missing a statement but I'm not sure.
  • Good work @PaddyP17.

I know this may not exactly count as a statement from RD, and I can't recall if he put anything out on the OS about the removal of bottled water from youth players at the training ground, but this is what (in translation) he told a Belgian sports magazine:

Erik Raspoet and Michel Vandersmissen in Knack from 29/08/18

A few days ago, entrepreneur Roland Duchâtelet was once again in the British press, from the tabloid The Sun to the institution of The Times. It was buzzing again at his London football club, Charlton Athletic. It turned out that the youth players no longer receive bottled water due to cutbacks. 

Mr. Duchâtelet, what a harsh man you have become?

Roland Duchâtelet: (unperturbed) I drink only from the tap. Well, from now on they will also get water from the tap. They will not suffer thirst, and they will not play worse because of it. The club is making too many losses, so we need to pay more attention to the money. Moreover, it is an environmentally friendly measure. 

I know that its been raised before but these statements and comments are less like those of a rational businessman and instead are more akin to those of a religious cult leader who expects unquestioning acceptance of his every utterance and decision-making. 

• Good work @PaddyP17.

I know this may not exactly count as a statement from RD, and I can't recall if he put anything out on the OS about the removal of bottled water from youth players at the training ground, but this is what (in translation) he told a Belgian sports magazine:

Erik Raspoet and Michel Vandersmissen in Knack from 29/08/18

A few days ago, entrepreneur Roland Duchâtelet was once again in the British press, from the tabloid The Sun to the institution of The Times. It was buzzing again at his London football club, Charlton Athletic. It turned out that the youth players no longer receive bottled water due to cutbacks. 

Mr. Duchâtelet, what a harsh man you have become?

Roland Duchâtelet: (unperturbed) I drink only from the tap. Well, from now on they will also get water from the tap. They will not suffer thirst, and they will not play worse because of it. The club is making too many losses, so we need to pay more attention to the money. Moreover, it is an environmentally friendly measure. 

I know that its been raised before but these statements and comments are less like those of a rational businessman and instead are more akin to those of a religious cult leader who expects unquestioning acceptance of his every utterance and decision-making. 

Your spelling is atrocious.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I think I'm missing a statement but I'm not sure.
    cheers paddy p! Now this is getting visibility we need to highlight what we all know to the world. That way he won’t just be able to blame a few people and successfully paint the ‘disgruntled ex-employee’ picture he previously has!
  • There was a statement he made on Belgian TV where he said his network players kept us up!