Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Copa America 2019

Comments

• Options
    What i don't get with this tournament is how often they play it. There's another one next year!

• Options
    What i don't get with this tournament is how often they play it. There's another one next year!

I think its to align it with the Euro's
  • Options
    They play it so often due to the inherent corruption it brings by dint of being in South America (some would say). 

This year’s one was always planned as it was on a 4 year cycle. The 2016 one was meant to be a one-off celebrating 100 years of the competition. They loved the extra cash so have now moved it to a 2 year cycle on odd-years, starting next year.

The real reason for next year’s in Colombia and Argentina are for political reasons as both are bidding for the World Cup in 2030 and they can at least say that they hosted a big event. But yes, somewhat of a joke!
  • Options
    Guess there is also a bit of desperation for Messi to win a Major Tournament with Argentina
  • Options
    VAR making an absolute mess of things in the Brazil game.
  • Options
    How did Brazil not beat Venezuela, genuine question lol I had them in a 3fold and they draw 0-0 :(  
  • Options
    VAR played a huge part, especially for Coutinho's 'goal' as even with a replay i couldn't see anything wrong with it. Certainly not a clear error, as Firmino who was adjudged to be offside, wasn't.

Venezuela have now conceded 5 goals at this tournament in 2 games. VAR ruled out all 5 and they drew both games 0-0.
  • Options
    VAR played a huge part, especially for Coutinho's 'goal' as even with a replay i couldn't see anything wrong with it. Certainly not a clear error, as Firmino who was adjudged to be offside, wasn't.

Venezuela have now conceded 5 goals at this tournament in 2 games. VAR ruled out all 5 and they drew both games 0-0.

That is crazy mate, laughable really
  • Options
    Brazil finally turned up last night, very convincing performance.

Argentina in action tonight, needing a win v Qatar to have a chance of qualifying.
  • Options
    Argentina take an early lead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Argentina through
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    So far its.

Brazil
    Venezuela
    Colombia
    Argentina
    Chile
    Uruguay

Peru through as 1 of the 2 best 3rd place teams

If Japan beat Ecuador they will go through if Ecuador win they go through and if its a draw Paraguay take the final spot

• Options
    Potential Semi-Final between Brazil and Argentina will be fun
  • Options
    intriguing set of quarter finals with 3 having a clear favourite, and 1 (Venezuela vs Argentina) being a real 50/50. It’s also at 8pm in the UK on Friday, so a sociable hour to watch. 

Brazil vs Paraguay should be interesting if not a great game to watch - Brazil have been struggling to break down defensive teams and Paraguay will no doubt play for the draw given that penalties occur after 90 mins. Paraguay of course knocked Brazil out on penalties in 2011 and 2015...
  • Options
    Is there any idea with regards to how many players have progressed to this Venezuela squad from the one that lost to England U20 in the World Cup?

As mentioned when Ukraine won it this year... Its great to see the unlikely nations winning the Youth World Cups but wont mean much if even their kids cant continue to progress into the Senior teams
  • Options
    intriguing set of quarter finals with 3 having a clear favourite, and 1 (Venezuela vs Argentina) being a real 50/50. It’s also at 8pm in the UK on Friday, so a sociable hour to watch. 

Brazil vs Paraguay should be interesting if not a great game to watch - Brazil have been struggling to break down defensive teams and Paraguay will no doubt play for the draw given that penalties occur after 90 mins. Paraguay of course knocked Brazil out on penalties in 2011 and 2015...
    Spot on, Brazil really struggled. Paraguay played the last half hour with 10 men as well but held out for a 0-0 but brazil got revenge and finally beat them on pens. Into the semi's where they could meet Argentina.
  • Options
    Is there any idea with regards to how many players have progressed to this Venezuela squad from the one that lost to England U20 in the World Cup?

As mentioned when Ukraine won it this year... Its great to see the unlikely nations winning the Youth World Cups but wont mean much if even their kids cant continue to progress into the Senior teams
    Not many, only 4 of their squad are 21 and under.
  • Options
    I was reading about the Chilean player that stuck his finger up Cavani's arse and got him sent off in 2015. Really made me chuckle. I somehow managed to miss hearing about that at all at the time
  • Options
    Argentina through to face Brazil after beating Venezuela 2-0.

Another tournament exit on penalties for Colombia (who remembers the last one) as Chile beat them 5-4. Chile's penalties probably 5 of the best you'll see. Unsaveable.
  • Options
    Suarez misses the first penalty in shoot out vs Peru.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uruguay had 2 goals disallowed by VAR and go on to lose on penalties.

It was expected to be Colombia v Uruguay in the Semis instead its Chile v Peru
  • Options
    Could we get a 3rd consecutive Chile v Argentina final?
  • Options
    3 x 0-0s in the quarter finals probably due to a combination of the “penalties straight after 90 minutes” rule, and the terrible condition of the pitches. 

Cant complain with a Brazil vs Argentina semi final as a neutral, and I think Brazil will play better, especially as despite two clean sheets in a row, the Argentinian defence is terrible and so they know they will need to go forward. 

Peru looked shocking against Brazil, so I’m predicting a Brazil vs Chile final.....
  • Options
    Uruguay had 2 goals disallowed by VAR and go on to lose on penalties.

It was expected to be Colombia v Uruguay in the Semis instead its Chile v Peru
    Good news. Uruguay wind me up
  • Options
    Brazil into the final. Jesus and Firmino score in a 2-0 win.

Messi went missing again.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Argentina much improved but Brazil never felt out of control except for the first 10 minutes of the second half. Jesus and Firmino finally came together well as a pairing, swapping between themselves on the wing and up front to confuse the Argentinian defence.

The final on Sunday night in the Maracana should be a hell of an atmosphere 
  • Options
    Brazil into the final. Jesus and Firmino score in a 2-0 win.

Messi went missing again.
    Another chance for Messi to win something with his country gone...
  • Options
    Stunning result as Peru destroy Chile 3-0 to reach their first final since 1975.

Brazil v Peru final...........Brazil beat them 5-0 in the group stage.
  • Options
    Peru 3-0 up after some fantastic football, but give away a penalty in the 94th minute. Up steps Vargas of Chile, who goes for the Panenka down the middle and the keeper just stands still to block it. 

Too funny.
  • Options
    Argentina win the 3rd place play off 2-1.

Messi and Medel both sent off after 37 minutes. At that point It was already 2-0 to Argentina.