Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Semedo signs

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
an portuguese u21 central defender!

on OS now.

Comments

• Options
    TRICKY RICKY WINS THE RACE TO POST

Well done.

Never heard of him just got the text - looks like Pards getting youngsters in - CUE THE - he's untried at this level posts.
  • Options
    I'm not going to recognise anyone come Aug 11th! Our average age of player must have gone down 10 years as well!
  • Options
    As the Official Site will probably crash now...

Semedo signs on
    A second European U21 starlet has joined Charlton in the space of five days as Addicks manager Alan Pardew continues to build a new-look squad ahead of his attempt to return the club to the top flight at the first time off asking.

Having already snapped up France U21 international right-back Yassin Moutaouakil for 600,000 Euros last week, Portugal U21 international centre-half Jose Semedo is a free signing from Sporting Clube de Portugal. Like Moutaouakil, Semedo has signed a four-year contract.

A powerful central defender, Semedo had yet to make his debut for the Lisbon-based Sporting, one of the biggest three clubs in Portugal that produced the likes of Luis Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo and, most recently, Nani, from its youth system.

But he gained valuable experience during a season on loan at Casa Pia AC in 2004/05, when he scored twice in 34 league matches, and he also saw match action away from the Estadio Jose Alvalade in January 2006, with CD Feirense in the Second Division.

His football education continued last term, when he joined Italian side Cagliari on loan, and he made his debut as a late substitute against AC Milan in April.

A regular for Portugal U17s, U19s and now U21s, Semedo made one appearance for his country during the 2006 European U21 championships, against Serbia & Montenegro.

He also played in all three matches for Portugal, alongside Nani and Manuel Fernandes, who has represented both Everton and Portsmouth in the Premiership, in the group stage of the recent tournament in the Netherlands.
  • Options
    Are we going to be fielding 10 defenders next season?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    why can't we sign some midfielders?! and why all these u21 players.

I'm a bit worried by lack of experience to be honest. hopefully this will be made up in hunger and "point to prove" attitude

Not only do these players have no experience, they don't even seem to play in the u21 or club teams they represent.

I hope i'm proved wrong and they are wonderkids
  • Options
    in that one match against Serbia, he was sent off.....
  • Options
    One thing is for sure, a lot of trust is being put by the board in Pardew, and his scouting network.

On paper these are exciting signings.

On paper i'm equally not convinced they are what we need to fight our way out of dogged Championship season.
  • Options
    Arsenal over the past few years have bought a lot of young unknown talent, and they have turned out pretty useful, have faith.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    Semedo o o o o o o o

He come's from portugal...

(original eh?)
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Arsenal over the past few years have bought a lot of young unknown talent, and they have turned out pretty useful, have faith.
    I'm pretty sure Arsenal's talent is pretty well known in football, if not in the public domain. If these playerrs were top notch then people would have snapped them up a la Nani and Anderson and Man U.

We're getting what we can and thats all we can do.
  • Options
    I love you baby...

Jose Semedo, la la la la la la
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    looks an exciting player but i'm bracing myself for a few players to leave soon. it's all starting to get interesting!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I love you baby...

Jose Semedo, la la la la la la

Bored?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]One thing is for sure, a lot of trust is being put by the board in Pardew, and his scouting network.
    Which way round is it ... perhaps a lot of trust by Pardew in the club's scouting network?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Arsenal over the past few years have bought a lot of young unknown talent, and they have turned out pretty useful, have faith.[/quote]
    I'm pretty sure Arsenal's talent is pretty well known in football, if not in the public domain. If these playerrs were top notch then people would have snapped them up a la Nani and Anderson and Man U.

We're getting what we can and thats all we can do.[/quote]

Four clubs went for Moutaouakil, that would suggest that he was well known in football.
  • Options
    is he in addition to Rolando, another Portuguese u-21 centre half, or have the papers had it all wrong.
  • Options
    Is this the fella that we've been linked with over the past couple of weeks? Reginaldo or summink?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    God, someone is on the ball!!!!!
    [cite]Posted by: Wikipedia[/cite]
    José Vítor Moreira Semedo (born on January 11, 1985, in Setúbal) is a Portuguese football player currently playing for Charlton_Athletic_F.C.. He is one of many products of Sporting's youth system.

Semedo also represented the Portuguese national under-21 team during the UEFA Under-21 Championship 2006. In the only match he played, he was sent off by the referee, due to an aggressive foul and the Portugal side ended up losing the game against Serbia and Montenegro.
  • Options
    My main concern is in this league its going to be imperative we have a solid base. Keeper and back four are crucial.

Barring McCarthy, the other defenders signed have been overseas lads with no experience of English football, let alone the Championship. If we are going to dabble in risk taking on a youngster, i'd rather we be doing it further up the pitch.
  • Options
    what about boughy afka or are the rumours true?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]what about boughy afka or are the rumours true?

What...Boogy's Gay?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2007
    I heard he was off to brum but i still think it's not true.
  • Options
    Back four would be

New RB McCarthy Bougherra Thatcher

Won't it? two hard nuts, one player comfy on the ball
  • Options
    could also be Sankofa or Fortune. Both have plenty of experience of English football as well as Diawara who's had a season to aclimatise. Magic also played for Crewe and Sheff Wed.

There's also Gibbs but he hasn't yet played in England.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]There's also Gibbs but he hasn't yet played in England.

Do do do the funky Gibbo
    Who who who the f**k is Gibbo?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You wait and see. A legend is about to be born.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Im gonna bookmark this comment for later use ;-)
  • Options
    ScoSco
    edited June 2007
    I think he was just off to the toilet Dan.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I would be grateful as when he wins player of the year you will want to remember this.
  • Options
    Henry, do you have a block vote?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Henry, do you have a block vote?

No but I won't need it. He will be the only choice.