Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Contract Updates 30/05/19 - Released and Retained

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf0065f3f3ab/released-and-retained-list-addicks-offer-new-deals-to-bauer-aribo-forster-caskey-and-fosu

Charlton Athletic have offered new deals to Patrick Bauer, Joe Aribo, Jake Forster-Caskey and Tariqe Fosu.

Addicks boss Lee Bowyer said: “We’ve offered them a contract, they’ll either accept or decline, all we can do is offer contracts. The four of them are up, they’re the four we’ve chosen to offer contracts to.”

The club can confirm the following players will leave the club following the expiration of their current contracts:

- Igor Vetokele

- Josh Parker

- Ben Reeves

- Mark Marshall

- Nicky Ajose

- Jonny Williams

Bowyer said: “They are all different reasons as to why we haven’t offered those lads contracts. Obviously they’ve played a massive part in last season and that was probably the hardest part of any discussion I’ve had since being in charge. 

“We were all on a high and then the next day we came into work and it’s then saying that we’re going to be letting them go. It was a horrible situation but that’s part of the game unfortunately. Some people stay, some people go, that happens at every football club every season. It’s never personal. It’s what we felt what we need going forward and they weren’t part of the plan but those lads were great last season for me, so all I can say is that I wish them all the best.”

He explained the door is still open for Williams: “We know what we have per player. Jonny came from a Premier League club who were paying most of his wage and we were paying a small percentage of that. For us to get close to what he was on before is just impossible. 

“We explained the situation to Jonny. He’s going to have other clubs that are interested in him for sure. If the money isn’t what he’s looking for, or if there is any way we can get close to it, then we will be speaking to his agent, we will be keeping in contact. It’s not like we’ve shut the door on him, it’s half open, hoping that someone else doesn’t come and snap him up.” 

Krystian Bielik, Josh Cullen, Chris Maxwell and Ben Purrington have all returned to their respective parent clubs following the expiration of their loan deals.

Bowyer said: “The loanees that came, they were all outstanding, every single one of them. Josh Cullen, Krystian Bielik, Ben Purrington, they’ve all gone back better players than when they arrived, I think that is clear to see. 

“Josh Cullen became a full international, which is a great achievement for a young lad, so I think West Ham will be happy. 

“Krystian Bielik is going back with a full season under his belt. I think the relationship we already had with those football clubs has already grown. There was already trust to loan them but I think there is a lot more trust, it can only be better for our relationship with those clubs.” 

Elsewhere, youngsters Wassim Aouachria, Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu and Kennth Yao have all signed extensions with Charlton after successful seasons with Jason Euell’s U23s. 

The U23s have been bolstered by the signing of Abraham Odoh following a successful loan spell at the club from Tooting & Mitcham. Luca Vega (Ipswich Town), Jay Mingi (West Ham) and Charles Clayden (Leyton Orient) have also joined Euell’s group. 

The following U23s will leave the club following the expiration of their current contracts:

- Dan Bowry

- Luke Carey

- Joseph Cummings

- Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

- Terrique Hall-Anderson

- Mikhail Kennedy

- Jamie Mascoll

- Joshua Umerah

Meanwhile the following players have all become first year scholars

- Kareem Isiaka

- Samuel Keefe

- Jospeh Osaghae

- Johl Powell

Comments

• Reeco has just signed for Bromley, that was quick!!

Fosu won't sign, obviously they will get a development fee if they offer him something?  Other than that no real shocks, Reeves was the one I wasn't sure about. 
  • Im surprised at Reeves. Thought he was worth another year. Shame about IGor really , with a decent owner in charge , and if he stayed fit . He’d score a few in the champ for sure . Gutted about Williams , no doubt he’ll get snapped up in no time 😞
  • edited May 2019
    Fosu a strange one as we’ve hardly seen him. Reeves? Maybe would’ve kept as squad player. The rest, not too shocked really. Williams hopefully we can sort something out for him. Keeping everything crossed that Aribo & Bauer sign on the dotted line! 
  • I know Fosu has had a poor season, but he could be usefull in the Championship. Lord Bowyer does a u turn takes Fosu under his wing, you heard it hear first.
  • I know Fosu has had a poor season, but he could be usefull in the Championship. Lord Bowyer does a u turn takes Fosu under his wing, you heard it hear first.
    He has the ability and I seriously doubt whether anyone in the championship will want him.  My guess is him and Reeves will join Brent at Oxford
  • edited May 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Reeco has just signed for Bromley, that was quick!!

Fosu won't sign, obviously they will get a development fee if they offer him something?  Other than that no real shocks, Reeves was the one I wasn't sure about. 
    Won’t get a development fee for Fosu. 

*edit - maybe we will!
  • Fosu must be so he can say no and we get a nominal fee when he leaves. 

Vetokele and Reeves is a shame, Williams I'm not surprised as we can't afford him at all and the others won't make the step up. If Bauer and Aribo both say no it makes for very grim reading
  • We can't afford Reeves, so much for Roland buying the club and us not having to sell our best players anymore, uh Varney?
  • Sponsored links:

• Fosu is clearly a surprise to be offered a new contract to. I can only think it's an offer not intended to be signed so we can get a development fee for him.

Reeves was probably on a fairly good wage being picked up as a free transfer. Not completely surprised he's gone but it does feel in a way his two years have gone really quickly. If we'd not gone up I expect we would have offered him a new deal. Fully expecting him to turn up at Oxford now.

Let's hope something can be sorted for Williams but with the performance he put on coming off the bench on Sunday somebody with a higher budget than ours will no doubt take a chance on him.
  • tom- k said:
    We can't afford Reeves, so much for Roland buying the club and us not having to sell our best players anymore, uh Varney?
    I can only assume you are pissed 
  • Cawley tweeted fosu only been offered a deal to get compensation. 

Only need to offer the same or better terms to get this. 
  • edited May 2019
    tom- k said:
    We can't afford Reeves, so much for Roland buying the club and us not having to sell our best players anymore, uh Varney?
    We can't afford Williams Premiership wages. We don't want Reeves because he's made of crisps. 
  • tom- k said:
    We can't afford Williams Premiership wages. We don't want Reeves because he's made of crisps. 
    out of date crisps at that.
  • The only one I would query is the release of Dan Bowry. Feel he is a better prospect than Yao. Hey ho.
  • Is Solly in contract ?
  • cafc4life said:
    Is Solly in contract ?
    Yeah got another year left
  • Sponsored links:

• tom- k said:
    We probably can’t afford Reeco
  • edited May 2019
    Also glad Igor is gone. Perhaps harsh and he's given us a few good memories but i don't think a fully fit Igor is good enough for the Championship, let alone an Igor who has numerous injury problems. 
  • Also glad Igor is gone. Perhaps harsh and he's given us a few good memories but i don't think a fully fit Igor is good enough for the Championship, let alone an Igor who has numerous injury problems. 
    Good enough but never fit. I thank him for his first 10 games and the second half against Luton 
  • Good to see Cawley has confirmed what we suspected with Fosu. Let's hope Fosu doesn't sign the damn contract and strain the wage bill out of spite. He'll want to get his career back on track and I wouldn't be surprised if he like Reeves also turns up at Oxford.

So that just leaves Bauer, Aribo, JFC and the door also open for Williams. Happy with this to be honest, Bowyer's been ruthless and he sounds confident he can bring in the players he wants.

It also sounded like from Bowyer's words that we may see Cullen and Bielik back as he mentioned the loan signings would be late like last season. That to me says he knows who he wants and he'll be waiting for the clubs to announce if either will be in their respective squads for this season.

Interesting times this summer. Let's hope we see positive news with Aribo and Bauer in particular. I'm convinced JFC will sign his new contract as i'm not sure anyone else in The Championship would put a deal on the table for him given his recent injury.
  • Seems like next season will be a very new look side, have faith in Bows etc to get it right and bring in the right personnel (if given the contract, and funds), no idea what the budget is for next season but with key men like Bielek, Cullen, Williams (maybe even aribo and Bauer leaving), we need serious investment 
  • So glad we've offered JFC a new deal, he is mustard
  • So glad we've offered JFC a new deal, he is mustard
    Hot stuff
  • IR94 said:
    Seems like next season will be a very new look side, have faith in Bows etc to get it right and bring in the right personnel (if given the contract, and funds), no idea what the budget is for next season but with key men like Bielek, Cullen, Williams (maybe even aribo and Bauer leaving), we need serious investment 
    Problem is , small budget and more wheeling and dealing ...
  • Good to see Cawley has confirmed what we suspected with Fosu. Let's hope Fosu doesn't sign the damn contract and strain the wage bill out of spite. He'll want to get his career back on track and I wouldn't be surprised if he like Reeves also turns up at Oxford.

So that just leaves Bauer, Aribo, JFC and the door also open for Williams. Happy with this to be honest, Bowyer's been ruthless and he sounds confident he can bring in the players he wants.

It also sounded like from Bowyer's words that we may see Cullen and Bielik back as he mentioned the loan signings would be late like last season. That to me says he knows who he wants and he'll be waiting for the clubs to announce if either will be in their respective squads for this season.

Interesting times this summer. Let's hope we see positive news with Aribo and Bauer in particular. I'm convinced JFC will sign his new contract as i'm not sure anyone else in The Championship would put a deal on the table for him given his recent injury.
    I don’t think the door is really open for Williams if we haven’t even bothered to offer him a contract.