Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• They were pretty quiet compared to us.A few times they all got together and it was pretty impressive though.

Not wise for him to be criticising them however.
  • Not wise but what he said was true. Only one set of fans thought they were going to win. It felt like they had 34000 there just incase they won. 
  • They were quiet (until they scored!) at the away game too. Maybe they just aren’t a noisy bunch? 
  • “On sheer size of club, it's hard to say that Charlton are the ones that deserved to stay down.”

love it :smiley:
  • I'm sure I read at least one of ours who was near the half way line who said they were possibly louder when they got going. But it's all academic - their fans have more right to be annoyed with their team than the reverse. Not really a great time to be attacking broken hearted fans is it?
  • I'm sure I read at least one of ours who was near the half way line who said they were possibly louder when they got going. But it's all academic - their fans have more right to be annoyed with their team than the reverse. Not really a great time to be attacking broken hearted fans is it?
    It wasn't me who wrote that earlier , but I was close to the half way line, and half way up. For me, they were louder in small doses, when something happened to get them excited. But we were more consistent in our noise level and support. They have many more songs than us, and more of them know the words to them all, I remember that from '98 too. I think it's ridiculous to knock them. They have supporters in London who buy season tickets, partly because without one, they would have no chance of getting tickets for away games in or near London. As Oohaah would point out, we can only dream of such support. 
  • edited May 2019

6 previous defeats in row probably didn’t fill them with confidence. 

70,000 Sunderland have gone to Wembley this season (2 games) travelling hundreds of miles from not the wealthiest part of Britain. Anybody normal connected to a football club would be proud of that level of support 
    But 70,000 didn't go. This is BS way of spinning numbers. Most likely a good number visited twice. 

There were about 30 on my London to Horsham train home... 

They took their defeat well, but to say 70,000 of them have gone to Wembley is incorrect.

Importantly in our one game at Wembley in 21 years and first time at 'New' wembley, we would have outnumbered them in either game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

6 previous defeats in row probably didn’t fill them with confidence. 

70,000 Sunderland have gone to Wembley this season (2 games) travelling hundreds of miles from not the wealthiest part of Britain. Anybody normal connected to a football club would be proud of that level of support 
    But 70,000 didn't go. This is BS way of spinning numbers. Most likely a good number visited twice. 

There were about 30 on my London to Horsham train home... 

They took their defeat well, but to say 70,000 of them have gone to Wembley is incorrect.

Importantly in our one game at Wembley in 21 years and first time at 'New' wembley, we would have outnumbered them in either game.
    He didn't say 70,000 different Sunderland supporters.
  • For me, they were louder in small doses, when something happened to get them excited. But we were more consistent in our noise level and support. 
    Yep, that echoes my experience. On a couple of occasions they really got going and were pretty bloody loud but for the majority of the game it felt like we had them beat, both on and off the pitch.

Still a bloody stupid thing for someone to say in this situation though!
  • Blimey.  Did he graduate from the same charm school as Katrien Mierde?

The Roland Dutchelet Academy of Bafoonery.
  • His comment on their lack of noise is fair enough. I thought they were poor. But for a rich posh Twat who no doubt had everything organised by someone else and paid for by the club's expenses, to criticize their numbers shows how out of touch with reality he is. 
  • What's the odds he's leading the consortium for our takeover.

What a gherkin.
  • Other fans moan about our generic choice of song but we made a hell of a noise. When they actually sung they made a racket but they only did it about twice. I thought we were loud throughout.
  • On both visits I've made to the Stadium of Light it has seemed quite for most of the match allowing for the size of the crowd, but to balance that it did on both occasions seem extremely loud when they scored
  • Like us they have gone through years of mediocrity and pain culminating In successive relegations. In those circumstances we know it is hard to get ourselves up when it appears the team cant be bothered or play dour football. 19 draws this season.  Our manager has galvanised team and fans alike to be loud and proud. Maybe Methven should look at us and he will find a solution to quiet crowds.
  • I think he made a good point there was an absecence of "belief" from fans to players to board.We had belief from fans to players to manager.They were louder on wembley way than in the stadium.
  • Did he go to the same PR training academy as Katrien?

Bizarre comments.  Slating fans (from an area that is not doing so well economically speaking) for not travelling over 300 miles for a second visit to Wembley in a matter of weeks is a pretty boneheaded thing to do, especially since they are still hurting from the most recent result.  He sounds like an over-entitled tit and I'd imagine that his comments are going to go down like a shit in a salad.  Where do they find these people?
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure anything he said was unfair. If isn't as if he was blaming Sunderland fans - he was basically making what I thought were valid observations following the game. He could have added something about how great the fans are and how the team needed to do a bit more than having one chance to get them going. He sort of alluded to it but didn't link it clearly enough. That would be my only criticism.