Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Union Berlin

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Union in 3rd place, vs Bayern this afternoon. KO 14.30 UK. My buddy's son always kindly lends me his Viaplay sub. code so I am going to watch at least some of it. Should be quite an event.

But I fear Bayern will still win it, given the way they have started  :/
  • Options
    Reading a book about Union at the moment, Scheisse! We're Going Up! by Kit Holden.

Really interesting book, really shows how they've always been a bit of a community club and so the fans are torn between enjoying recent success and worrying it'll mean they'll lose that.

Really.hoping they win today!
  • Options
    Reading a book about Union at the moment, Scheisse! We're Going Up! by Kit Holden.

Really interesting book, really shows how they've always been a bit of a community club and so the fans are torn between enjoying recent success and worrying it'll mean they'll lose that.

Really.hoping they win today!
    Great tip, will get hold of that
  • Options
    And Union take the lead against the early run of play :D
  • Options
    And Union take the lead against the early run of play :D
    Which Bayern cancel out 2 mins later.
  • Options
    “Scheiße! We are top of the Bundesliga!!“

@North Lower Neil. The book is just brilliant. So glad you mentioned it. There are echoes of our own story there, some things both fanbases have learnt, but frankly what we have achieved is nothing compared with them. Definitely the most amazing fan-led success story in Europe.
  • Options

@North Lower Neil. The book is just brilliant. So glad you mentioned it. There are echoes of our own story there, some things both fanbases have learnt, but frankly what we have achieved is nothing compared with them. Definitely the most amazing fan-led success story in Europe.
    Glad you enjoyed it too!

Yeah, the stadium renovation of the fans reminded me of the Back to The Valley campaign etc, just on a massive scale!
  • Options

Glad you enjoyed it too!

Yeah, the stadium renovation of the fans reminded me of the Back to The Valley campaign etc, just on a massive scale!
    I'd love to get to a game there, logistically its no problem from Prague, but getting a ticket is another matter. And after reading the book I'd feel like I'd be part of the problem the book deals with..
  • Options

Glad you enjoyed it too!

I'd love to get to a game there, logistically its no problem from Prague, but getting a ticket is another matter. And after reading the book I'd feel like I'd be part of the problem the book deals with..
    Yeah I thought the same - half the book I was thinking that it'd be cool to visit and then by the chapter with the British guy who's been going for years and still makes sure he speaks German not English on the train I thought maybe it wouldn't be as fun as I think!
  • Options
    Bought the book on kindle after a I see a few suggestions in here. 
    Loving it so far, glad I opened this thread and see the recommendations! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Currently 2-0 up at home over Wolfsburg.

Will put them two points clear at the top of the Bundesliga.
  • Options
    Currently 2-0 up at home over Wolfsburg.

Will put them two points clear at the top of the Bundesliga.
    Managed to watch most of that live on Viaplay. Gotta admit, first half was a bit meh, they certainly didn't look like potential champions, but they turned on the gas second half and the second goal was an absolute peach from their striker Becker, who is on fire (Viaplay showed his five best goals so far at half time). Those fans must be several levels above Cloud Nine now, and after reading the book I wouldn't begrudge them a moment of it. Just, as we know, it can all fall apart again so quickly.
  • Options
    Went to a Union game a few years ago when they were in the German equivalent of the
    Championship. Still one of the best atmospheres at a game I’ve been to, with the added bonus that you can have a beer whilst watching. 

Followed them ever since and love seeing that they’re flying, keep meaning to book up to go again. 
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:
    Went to a Union game a few years ago when they were in the German equivalent of the
    Championship. Still one of the best atmospheres at a game I’ve been to, with the added bonus that you can have a beer whilst watching. 

Followed them ever since and love seeing that they’re flying, keep meaning to book up to go again. 
    From all I’ve read, you might have trouble getting a ticket now. One reason why I havent been myself, tho’ it would be only a 4 hour train ride for me.

Maybe the best bet might be a DFB Pokal game, I’m thinking.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:
    Still one of the best atmospheres at a game I’ve been to, with the added bonus that you can have a beer whilst watching. 

Comparing German football to English football is no contest, the fan experience is vastly superior there. In the 2008/09 season I went to most of Hertha Berlin's home games, the season they narrowly missed out on winning the league. You can drink as much as you like (they have happy hour if you arrive early), there's no aggro with home and away fans, the pricing is better, the food is better. The only very minor negative is that shirts tend cost more than they do here. I went to see Tennis Borussia Berlin once, their season tickets were cheaper than a replica shirt!
  • Options
    Did a George Dobson and scored deep into injury time yesterday.

Although that's where the comparisons end as it was a winner, and they're top:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/31/fischer-laps-up-the-madness-as-union-berlins-bundesliga-heroics-go-on
  • Options
    Had my eye on that game and was gutted when the goal a few minutes earlier got disallowed.

Glad they got one finally and remain top. Wonder how many years it’s been since Bayern Munich have played 12 games and are not yet top of that league.
  • Options
    Off to Leverkusen on Sunday and Union are the visitors.