Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bank Holiday Monday Celebrations/Commiserations

Win or lose we're on the booze. After the mental and physical exhaustion of watching the 98 final, I recall the post-match celebrations were surprisingly flat and muted. However, there was a big turnout in the Royal Oak and other Charlton pubs on the Bank Holiday Monday that followed and an open-topped bus parade on the Tuesday evening to the Town Hall if I recall rightly. I suspect the parade may be planned in quiet in the background and would be premature to announce anything obviously. However, anyone planning on a celebratory or drown your sorrows drink in Charlton on the Monday? Trying not to count chickens here. The White Swan would be the natural choice given the relative quality fo the pub and the efforts of the landlord this season to make us more welcome. I would also add the River Ale House but I think he's only 4-11pm opening during the week - maybe an exception for Bank Holiday?

Comments

• I'll be at the Old Mill, Star Inn or the Fox.

If I'm not too tired after my scheduled long cycle.
  • iainment said:
    I'll be at the Old Mill, Star Inn or the Fox.

If I'm not too tired after my scheduled long cycle.
    Good calls for Plumstead.
  • edited May 2019
    The Coach and Horses was good after the 98 final...karaoke....cheer up Peter Reid. This time I'll be out on the piss in Hastings on the Monday...whatever the result. 
  • Not anticipating much of a booze on a Sunday so hoping to make up for it down Charlton on Monday
  • win or lose i like a good few will be severely hungover 
  • We'll come CS.  Whatever the result. 
  • I swear our game in 1998 was on the bank holiday Monday?
  • WSS said:
    I swear our game in 1998 was on the bank holiday Monday?

It was mate
  • WSS said:
    Championship (division one at the time) is always the Monday
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2019
    WSS said:

It was mate
    Thought so.

I read @Cardinal Sin's message as people went out on the bank holiday that followed the game? Not the night itself.  All a bit of a blur that day/night even as a 15 year old! 

• Sponsored links:

• WSS said:
    Its been on the Saturday for years, this year is the first time it’s been switched back to the Monday for a long long time.
  • WSS said:
    WSS said:

It was mate
    Thought so.

I read @Cardinal Sin's message as people went out on the bank holiday that followed the game? Not the night itself.  All a bit of a blur that day/night even as a 15 year old! 

Yeh I don’t really get that comment!
  • Cardinal  Sin's memory is wrong.
    The 1998 final was on Bank Holiday Monday. 
  • WSS said:
    Its been on the Saturday for years, this year is the first time it’s been switched back to the Monday for a long long time.
    They usually have it on a Saturday when there is a World Cup or European Championships

There are so many Internationals in the Championship these days that they have to have them earlier for players heading off to the pre-tournament camps
  • ive always thought that it should be 

champs - saturday 
    league 1 - sunday 
    league 2 - monday 

i think the monday is the worse day to have as most have work next day and have to get back home - plus its the highest attended match of the 3 
  • Cardinal  Sin's memory is wrong.
    The 1998 final was on Bank Holiday Monday. 
    Sorry, my mistake. I was off on the Tuesday as well then and so were a lot of people. Perhaps the open-top bus was the Wednesday?
  • WSS said:

It was mate
    I went sick the following day.
  • WSS said:

It was mate
    I had leave booked. I knew I'd be wrecked either way.
  • iainment said:
    WSS said:

It was mate
    I had leave booked. I knew I'd be wrecked either way.
    My boss was very sympathetic...just said I had an upset stomach.
  • I am working. 07.00 start
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:
    It was on Monday in 2017, I believe it's played Saturday on World Cup/Euro Years now.
  • 2019: "The first Monday in May is a Bank Holiday.  Which pub should we go to, to celebrate?" 

2020: "The first Monday in May isn't a Bank Holiday any more.  But all the pubs are shut anyway.  Let's stay in and watch re-runs of this season's football matches". 

2021: "What's a pub?  What's a football season?  What's a holiday?" 
  • That's a point, wasn't the May bank holiday moved to allow for the VE day commemoration? If we're still in lockdown then (and I've lost track of whether we will be or not) won't it put a kibosh on the whole thing?
  • Chizz said:
    2019: "The first Monday in May is a Bank Holiday.  Which pub should we go to, to celebrate?" 

2020: "The first Monday in May isn't a Bank Holiday any more.  But all the pubs are shut anyway.  Let's stay in and watch re-runs of this season's football matches". 

2021: "What's a pub?  What's a football season?  What's a holiday?" 
    2022: "Anyone fancy coming to watch AFC Charlton in the Isthmian South Play Off?"