Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The real story of Sunderland's takeover

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    This is a big deal. This family are worth over 30 billion USD according to The Athletic.

If we don’t go up this season, then I genuinely hope Sunderland do - because I’d rather us not having to compete with them next year.
    But this is what I mean. If he had a massive amount of money to invest into Sunderland then why is he letting Stewart Donald tag along?

How would we have felt if Sandgaard had let ESI/Duchatelet keep a minority shareholding
  • Options
    Richest owner in league one they have.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    cafctom said:
    This is a big deal. This family are worth over 30 billion USD according to The Athletic.

If we don’t go up this season, then I genuinely hope Sunderland do - because I’d rather us not having to compete with them next year.
    But this is what I mean. If he had a massive amount of money to invest into Sunderland then why is he letting Stewart Donald tag along?

How would we have felt if Sandgaard had let ESI/Duchatelet keep a minority shareholding
    Errr, in case you hadn't noticed, Roland still owns The Valley and Sparrows Lane.
    You're missing the point
  • Options
    This takeover was discussed on the Price of Football last week. Not sure why Stewart Donald is keeping a minority shareholding, if this guy is loaded then why would he let the others keep a shareholding.
    I guess maybe it was a condition Donald insisted on and it could be as a much a Richard Murray-style wanting to still be involved and have the privilege of a seat in the Director's box etc as much as anything.

• Options
    This takeover was discussed on the Price of Football last week. Not sure why Stewart Donald is keeping a minority shareholding, if this guy is loaded then why would he let the others keep a shareholding.
    I guess maybe it was a condition Donald insisted on and it could be as a much a Richard Murray-style wanting to still be involved and have the privilege of a seat in the Director's box etc as much as anything.

You could be right, I'm not saying Sunderland shouldn't be celebrating but I'm just sceptical 
  • Options
    Quote from Donald “... it is no secret that – despite spending the highest transfer fees and playing wages in League One history – progress on the pitch has not followed suit. That has been a bitter disappointment for us as owners, and we can only apologise for falling short in this regard...”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please don't let fate pitch us and Sunderland together in a play off final this season.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Please don't let fate pitch us and Sunderland together in a play off final this season.
    I’ll take that seth.😏😏😏
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Whilst Eric is no doubt wealthy, and like a Rostchild has access to finance, virtually all this side of the families wealth is controlled by his step Mum and two Aunts.  Good to see The Athletic are still pursuing badly researched tabloid journalism.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Wouldn’t worry about that 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    seth plum said:
    Wouldn’t worry about that 
    This
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    NO!
    Because no fans will be there and they’ll finally beat us 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    NO!
    Because no fans will be there and they’ll finally beat us 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩
    Might be able to have fans by late May?
  • Options
    Please stop this. We have no hope of the playoffs, have you not seen us play in the last 3 months? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ColinTat said:
    cafctom said:

Whilst Eric is no doubt wealthy, and like a Rostchild has access to finance, virtually all this side of the families wealth is controlled by his step Mum and two Aunts.  Good to see The Athletic are still pursuing badly researched tabloid journalism.
    This reminds me a bit of the Andrew Barclay situation where it isn't known to outsiders how much of the family's wealth actually belongs to him or is accessible
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    cafctom said:

That's a bit unfair. For a start, his name is Kyril. Eric is his older brother (as I read in the previous article in November). Both articles provide more detail than anything else I have read and one of the journos regularly covers Sunderland for them.

24 is awfully young, but among other things the article details his time studying in the UK and his more than decent football playing skill. I'd say that he is more likely to bring success to his club than...er...Southall-Nimer-Elliott. Or Duchatelet for that matter.

BTW in the Netflix 2-series drama "Marseille" starring Gerard Depardieau as the Mayor of Marseille, Olympique plays a big role in the story, including the son taking over from the deceased owner and being courted to sell by foreign potential investors. much to the angst of the loyal fans. Decent watch.
  • Options
    Does not matter how much money you are worth as an owner when SCMP and FFP limit your spending on wages and transfers. You can only lose £39M over three years no matter how rich you are and already Sunderland were losing even more than that before Covid. Also, daddy is not doing well in France with his club so if the apple does not fall far from the tree....
  • Options
    Does not matter how much money you are worth as an owner when SCMP and FFP limit your spending on wages and transfers. You can only lose £39M over three years no matter how rich you are and already Sunderland were losing even more than that before Covid. Also, daddy is not doing well in France with his club so if the apple does not fall far from the tree....
    Id say there’s a danger that as a 23 year old, he’ll get bored at some point and look towards his next play thing, leaving no spare change going in to the club. 
  • Options
    So if they don't get promoted this season they won't be spending anything next season then?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    So if they don't get promoted this season they won't be spending anything next season then?
    Not quite. FFP is finished, they can spend what they want providing it doesn’t put the club in financial ruin