Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will our defence perform on Sunday?

The game against Doncaster was possibly our worst defensive performance of the season. Our centre backs left a huge gap for the first, Bauer was outjumped for the second and Marquis was left in acres of space for the third. Hopefully just a blip?

Comments

• Now that you’ve started this thread. No 
  • Neither Wyke nor Grigg have the goals that Marquis has... I'd say from the Portsmouth two legs that Sunderland cant play on the deck like Doncaster (Unless McGeady is fit), nor do they have Wilks type man on the flanks to prove tricky for our Full-Backs

They do though know how to get numbers back and know how to defend
  • Officially second best defence in the league this season! 

Yes, they’ll perform.  
  • Doubt Bauer had had much/ any sleep and had just gone through the emotion of becoming a first-time father.

Sarr rumoured to be observing Ramadan so would not have had anything to eat/drink for hours.

Surprised we didn't concede more  ;)
  • Doubt Bauer had had much/ any sleep and had just gone through the emotion of becoming a first-time father.

Sarr rumoured to be observing Ramadan so would not have had anything to eat/drink for hours.

Surprised we didn't concede more  ;)
    Sarr better set his alarm for half 2 in the morning sunday and get stuck into several family buckets of KFC to see him through the day. 
  • With Pearce in for Sarr we'll be much stronger so yes, they will.
    Don't go along with this at all, Pearce is a great leader but he puts pressure on his own team by not being a terribly good footballer, and he tends to give away a lot more niggly fouls than Sarr
  • edited May 2019
    Would not be surprised if Pearce and Chris Solly got a recall , Nabby and Anfernee have been brilliant for us this season, but we can't afford players getting nervous, or switching off if we are to win the game, i'll back Lee's judgement....
    Until i see the teamsheet!     :)

We seriously need to improve all over the pitch on Friday's performance if we are going to win the match on Sunday, i thought Doncaster deserved to win the match (and still can't believe we got through).

Personally i'd put Albie on the bench (to come on later)and start Williams, really hoping he can step up and perform for this one, but hey what do i know?

Will Reeves be on the bench/start?
  • sam3110 said:
    With Pearce in for Sarr we'll be much stronger so yes, they will.
    Don't go along with this at all, Pearce is a great leader but he puts pressure on his own team by not being a terribly good footballer, and he tends to give away a lot more niggly fouls than Sarr
    Sarr might be a better footballer, but Pearce is a better defender. Pearce may sometimes give away fouls by getting too tight, but with Sarr it's the opposite as he sometimes gives opponents too much space. 

A tough call for Bowyer

• Sponsored links:

Blaming Sarr for the second or third goals is nonsensical. 

It was a bad performance for Sarr admittedly, but Bauer and Bielik also brought undue pressure by being out of position or not being strong enough. 

Bauer was probably the best on the day of a bad bunch. 

Pearce sits too deep and our current run of defensive strength cannot be coincidence that it has been while Pearce was out and Sarr was playing regularly. 
  • Sarr has had a great season - that’s from someone that was never his biggest fan. That being said he picked a bad time to show Bowyer that maybe he hasn’t got the nerve for a big game.

I would probably start with Pearce alongside Bauer but I get that it is a massive decision and Sarr can feel hard done by if he’s dropped.

I would definitely start with Djiksteel ahead of Solly.
  • edited May 2019
    Sarr's fasting didn't seem to effect him during the first Doncaster game. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and play him at Wembley. 
  • Pearce is an inspirational leader 
    I’d get him in there , his never say die attitude is second to none . 
    No game for fancy danning about get him in 

• Pearce is an inspirational leader 
    I’d get him in there , his never say die attitude is second to none . 
    No game for fancy danning about get him in 

Or for passing the ball about on a lush Wembley pitch in order to tire out your opponents?
  • I'd keep Sarr. I don't think he was any worse than others who played on Friday. 

Plus him and Bauer have been solid for months.

Plus Naby is going to score the winner