Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Niki Lauda Dies

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Had he been seriously ill for a while? I ask, because I already thought he was dead.

RIP Niki
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    A true great of his sport RIP 
  • Options
    RIP!!
  • Options
    My god what a life he had.
    He has several children from various relationships, including twins (a boy and girl) born as recently as 2009.
    Lung and and two kidney transplants as well as numerous skin grafts at various times following his near death accident in 1976 but somehow he bravely soldiered on, time after time.
    Always a gent and a credit to the sport he embraced.
    RIP........Sir.......RIP.
  • Options
    A total great, and the rivalry between him and James Hunt that blossomed first into respect and then into friendship was a special thing. The way he got into the car so soon after nearly dying to try and win the title in 1976 was one of the bravest things I have ever heard - he had to have his hands pried off the steering wheel by his mechanics because they burnt skin that hadn’t healed had literally come away during the race.

He then also had a massive role in the success of Mercedes in modern times and Lewis Hamilton’s rise to greatness.

Rest in peace.
  • Options
    Extraordinary man...RIP. 
  • Options
    A total great, and the rivalry between him and James Hunt that blossomed first into respect and then into friendship was a special thing. The way he got into the car so soon after nearly dying to try and win the title in 1976 was one of the bravest things I have ever heard - he had to have his hands pried off the steering wheel by his mechanics because they burnt skin that hadn’t healed had literally come away during the race.

He then also had a massive role in the success of Mercedes in modern times and Lewis Hamilton’s rise to greatness.

Rest in peace.
    The film Rush...2013 portrayed that relationship with James Hunt, a good film IMHO.
  • Options
    RIP.  Another legend passes.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Racing drivers in his day were a special breed with colleagues and rivals losing their lives all around them. He should have died from his injuries in 1976 - he went on to win two more world championships and lead an extraordinary life. Saying he is a great is not a throwaway comment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was from a time when F1 drivers took their lives into their hands every time they sat in the cockpit! Brave as they come and one of the greatest racing drivers of all time when they actually drove those old missiles un-assisted.
    RIP
  • Options

RIP, one of the greats.

I was watching a programme about testing a new Mercedes F1 car a couple of years ago. When he took the wheel for a go, he was as fast as the current drivers in some parts of the track.

• Options
    RIP Niki
  • Options
    condolences to his family friends and work colleagues at Mercedes. He was my favorite driver of the 70`s,  his rivalry with James hunt was a great competition. he was one of the finest drives of that era and of course a man of great determination and courage
  • Options
    RIP Niki, an extraordinary individual
  • Options
    RIP 
  • Options
    Sad news, brave and crazy man. RIP Niki.  
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Was really sad to hear this.
    After his accident his bravery was incredible, as I believe he later admitted he was terrified to get back in another race car. 
    And he seemed to view his disfigurement as a battle scar that never seemed to deter him from just getting on with life. 
    An amazing man and a life richly lived.
    RIP Niki Lauda ( note to self - it would help to spell his name right :|)
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a real out and out too brave for his own good speed freak and petrol head .. R I P
  • Options
    A Motor Racing legend - RIP
  • Options
    Rest in peace, had the heart of a lion. 
  • Options
    Motor racing is probably the mainstream sport I like least but Niki Lauda transcended all that and was a true sporting legend.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Niki 

Probably one of the reasons I got interested in F1 in the mid 80s. I guess mainly back then, in my early teens, due to the legend of the crash etc.

Sad news for sport.

• Options
    Inspirational Man.

RIP!

• Options
    Image result for peanuts lauda cartoon

RIP to a legend
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Rest in peace.
    The film Rush...2013 portrayed that relationship with James Hunt, a good film IMHO.
    Badly portrayed their relationship, they were very pally, but the film needed to stoke up the rivalry.