Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Victoria pub on fire

2»

Comments

• Options
    ROTW said:
    Gribbo said:
    So sad as I grew up directly opposite it, and helped em empty the barrels when it closed, but this tends to happen when an old pub sits on prime building plots, allegedly....
    Fred kalouke (sp), fucking legend of a publican 
    👍
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    What was the name of the pub that is now a vets....down by the Thames barrier?
    Lads of the Village first, then changed its name to Thames Barrier Arms in 1982
    Had some mental times in the Barrier Arms. You had to call em or do a special knock to get in there in the end.
    Or more commonly known as the TBA
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    What was the name of the pub that is now a vets....down by the Thames barrier?
    Lads of the Village first, then changed its name to Thames Barrier Arms in 1982
    Had some mental times in the Barrier Arms. You had to call em or do a special knock to get in there in the end.
    Had an engagement party there back in 1981.
    Was the landlords name Tony?
    Think one of my uncles used to holiday with him and their respective wives.
    Got a feeling a couple of my uncles were in the darts team too.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Looks OK to me.  I've lived in Manchester and Newcastle and definitely drunk in worse pubs.  The Victoria even seems to have a roof.

I concede that the pool table is likely to have a bit of a slope, but stop whingeing.
    Used to live in a rough part of Sheffield in early 90's (still do but that's beside the point). My old next door neighbour was 82, had lived in the area pretty much all his life. He had his lawnmower nicked out of his garden shed. He 'heard' that a load of mowers were being sold in the bar of the pub at the end of the street, which was also his local for a lifetime, so he bowls up there. Seeing a bloke with a pile of mowers, he recognises one to be his. He tells bloke, "that's my mower, it was nicked out of my shed". Bloke knows neighbour and knows this to be true, but still picks up his pint glass and throws it at my neighbour hitting him flush on the head. Neighbour said no matter what happened I couldn't go down as I wouldn't have made it out of there. Neighbour walks out blood pouring from his head and never goes back in, never reports it.

A year later that pub was raised to the ground. Nothing ever got build on its plot. Nobody ever really missed the place. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I used to love it in there before a match. With it's topsy-turvey floor it felt like walking into the Crooked House on Southend seafront. The last pub I know to sell cheese rolls from one of those plastic boxes at the back of the bar. They were shrink wrapped in cling film and sometimes quite tough to chew like they'd been there for days, but they always tasted divine.
    Ebbsfleet do the cheese rolls wrapped in cling film behind the bar. you even get options like with onion or tomato with your cheese, or even a bit of ham, though during the summer that ones not to be recommended. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Trying to think of the name of another pub round there, going towards Woolwich?  The Victoria it is just read the rest of this thread....nice little pub back in the day.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Trying to think of the name of another pub round there, going towards Woolwich?  The Victoria it is just read the rest of this thread....nice little pub back in the day.
    thought you might of meant the Albion but i've seen that its still open but as an African bar. It never looked great but from google images it looks like a right dump now. 

Woolwich bar fined after breaching 10pm closing - Murky Depths
  • Options
    This is what got approved for the site.
    https://charltonchampion.co.uk/tag/victoria-pub/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thought you might of meant the Albion but i've seen that its still open but as an African bar. It never looked great but from google images it looks like a right dump now. 

I do remember that but I've never been inside it.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

I do remember that but I've never been inside it.
    Something you might hear on the Katie Price thread…
  • Options

I'm not it's still open. It got got raided by the Police whilst holding parties during the lockdown.
  • Options
    Must have walked past Le Wouri five hundred times, but while you can promise all the Nigerian cuisine you like, if your place doesn't have windows I'm not going in
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Derby Arms ? Lord Howick ? White Horse?
  • Options

What have we done to our streets? Architect designed 1960s/70s homes of the future.

Architects earned their living designing buildings like these, but they were damned sure they weren't going to live in them.

• Options
    It’s remarkable how much of it is boarded up yet it’s still open, get the feeling if you boarded up the door someone would kick a hole in it and it would carry on in use with folk climbing in through the hole!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

What have we done to our streets? Architect designed 1960s/70s homes of the future.

Architects earned their living designing buildings like these, but they were damned sure they weren't going to live in them.

It's a pub not a home and the flats in the photo have been demolished.

But flat roof pubs are terrible designwise and usually rough as sandpaper 
  • Options
    Le Wouri… just read some google reviews. The toilets sound a joy! 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It's a pub not a home and the flats in the photo have been demolished.

But flat roof pubs are terrible designwise and usually rough as sandpaper 
    It's still been designed, whether it's a pub, house or whatever. And we still have to look at it.

Same with the block of flats. If they've been demolished already, then they were built not fit for purpose.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Le Wouri… just read some google reviews. The toilets sound a joy! 
    I've just booked Le Wouri for the wife's birthday  :D
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    One of the few buildings that's actually enhanced by having a crane and a demolition site next to it!

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Was that the Million Hare? Edit, just read the above properly.

Re Henrys comment on pubs with flat roofs, went in one near Maine Road and couldn’t help noticing on the block attached to the pub they had what looked like the Hound of the Baskervilles prowling about on it. To be fair, they were quite affable inside, although it was a bit like walking into an episode of Shameless.
  • Options
    Derby Arms ? Lord Howick ? White Horse?
    No it was the Victoria.