Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kurt Cobain/Nirvana

Having watched the latest "Seven Ages of Rock" documentary I was wondering what other people make of them.

For me, I just don't get it. Sure, there's no doubt that Smells Like Teen Spirit is an absolutely cracking tune and Nevermind is a good album, but to me that's it. The only two differences between them and someone else on that scene at the time - like a Pearl Jam or a Soundgarden - are, a) THAT song, and b) the fact that he blew his brains out when his star was probably burning brightest.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Nirvana's best album was Bleach - and their best musician was Dave Grohl, who didn't even play on that album.

They did have some great songs on Nevermind and In Utero - but only about three on each album.

Cobain was a mildly-talented, drug-addled fuckwit.

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, on the other hand, were consistently excellent - both released two albums that are arguably amongst the top fifty 'rock' albums ever made, had/have singers who are utterly compelling and wrote many songs that are destined to become classics.

Yet Nirvana get all the fame and misty-eyed recognition. Go figure
  • Options
    It's called James Dean Syndrone.
  • Options
    Glad it's not just me Leroy!
  • Options
    Im pretty sure that Pearl Jam 'Ten' is a better albumn than Nevermind..... the reason why Nirvana have it is cause THAT song was the song that broke it and made it go nuclear also most teenagers in the nineties were out of there mind and furious and this gave them a sort of punk of there own era something to attach themsleves to ... and as I say it all broke from that song.... also Janes Addiction around that time were massively influential as well ........ heres some useles information for you an all..... In utero is an anagram for routine,,,,,, and perry farrel changed his name to perry farrell as in peripheral.....

and rape me the song is the exact same riff as smells like teen spirit which is obviously the point of the song...
  • Options
    In Utero was not the album Cobain wanted to put out, the record company refused to put out what they had originally recorded citing that they felt it was too big a gamble. Someday those forgotten recordings will appear and somebody very wealthy
  • Options
    they/he was a genius. end of.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: markwebb21[/cite]they/he was a genius. end of.

A well reasoned argument Mark. Seriously, why do you say that though? I'm genuisnely interested. Don't get me wrong, I generally like their stuff, but just don't really go for this whole martyrdom thing which seems to have elevate him/them to something higher than they maybe were.

As someone posted earlier, Pearl Jam's "Ten" is possible a more consistant album - although it doesn't have THAT song of course.
  • Options
    hehe yeh hangovers limit my vocab somewhat!!! well im not usually a fan of worlwide superstar style artists...i hate the hype and all the shite that comes with it. i love punk influences in it to be honest, and think what he did with such a clearly limited voice was brilliant. if you read the book about the reasoning behind the songs theres a lot to them. nevermind...well thats just a commercial rock album really....just good rock music. main highlight for me is bleach, its very punky in places, and if you delve into 'incesticide' and 'outcesticide' you will find some little gems in there. maybe may inital quote lacked a bit of substance!!!i think theres a bit more to it than pearl jam in terms of musical diversity / progression (mind you i just really hate the mans voice...personal opinion), i found a lot of grunge to be pretty bland after a while, and think nirvana were much more exploratory. that seven ages of rock show is shite anyway, they get it wrong and just hype 1 or 2 bands up. hope this helps a little off_it!!!
  • Options
    Nirvana were intelligent to a point. They gave this impression on people that they didn't want to be successful and people bought it. An incredibly commercial band.

Their music was poo though, and I have an overwhelming desire to punch the living daylights out of anyone wearing a Nirvana hoodie in public.
  • Options
    Almost as overrated at U2. Nevermind was virtually constructed on 4 notes on a guitar. It captured the kids imagination at the time thats all. But musically it just isnt that good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Nevermind was a phenomenon and taken to heart not just by indie kids but a much wider audience, a fantastic album in my mind at the time - punky and, yes, some very commercial tracks too. The James Dean allegation doesn't wash because their massive success wasn't anything to do with his suicide, if anything it was the other way round.

Like it or not, Nevermind changed the musical landscape and punk sensibilities were brought out from the underground. It was an explosive album at the time, but its own success means that it just sounds normal nowadays.

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden are much more "metal" / "rock" and are hugely appreciated by people into those
  • Options
    How on earth is Pearl Jam metal? Ten was a classic rock album. But there is nothing metal about it. I also totally disagree with your point that Cobain's suicide did anything other than elevate them to the status they are at now.
  • Options
    Sorry I take your point! I don't have any interest in metal or most rock, can't remember anything by Pearl Jam.

Nirvana were elevated to an unprecedented status by Nevermind, the maintenance of which has no doubt been largely helped by his suicide.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]the maintenance of which has no doubt been largely helped by his suicide.

Murder.

Cat amongst the pigeons.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Nirvana's best album was Bleach - and their best musician was Dave Grohl, who didn't even play on that album.

They did have some great songs on Nevermind and In Utero - but only about three on each album.

Cobain was a mildly-talented, drug-addled fuckwit.

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, on the other hand, were consistently excellent - both released two albums that are arguably amongst the top fifty 'rock' albums ever made, had/have singers who are utterly compelling and wrote many songs that are destined to become classics.

Yet Nirvana get all the fame and misty-eyed recognition. Go figure
    Couldn't of said it better. You've hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]the maintenance of which has no doubt been largely helped by his suicide.

Murder.

Cat amongst the pigeons.
    Suicide.

Cat stuck back inside whilst pigeons fly away safely.
  • Options
    Loud bit, quiet bit, another loud bit, quiet bit = Nirvana

Teen spirit was a good song and it moved music along from dreary art school bands playing depressing music in long black coats but it was all a bit samey to my ears

Early death never did anyone rock career any harm as Davey said. Morrison and Curtis being two candidates for overrated cos they are dead awards.
  • Options
    i suppose an early death raises many a profile though. i mean...the legacy of the great bill hicks grows, and is a lot more popular now (not saying he wasnt popular then). hicks was a real true genius, a total legend.
  • Options
    Morrison...... overatted..... we obviously have diferent music taste Henry...

and curtis, poor bloke, was just screwed in the head.......
  • Options
    Hendrix - he's another (although I do admire his stuff).

My money would've been on him recording a version of "High Ho Silver Lining" with Cliff Richard by now if he hadn't croaked it already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    which still wouldnt have been as bad as brian may playing happy birthday to the queen. thats rock n roll man...
  • Options
    Just listened to it again for the firt time in a while and Bleach is really pretty rubbish. Nowhere near as good as Nevermind.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I watched the re-run of SAR last night and I enjoyed it.

Sure Cobain/Nirvana's reputation is what it is mainly due to the fact that one bloke was totally screwed up and blew his head off (not the first and not the last time I'm sure) but I think Cobain was more talented etc than some on here give them credit for. Although like many musical genuiuses before him, his ideas were largely an amalgamation of the ideas of those around him and what went before him (Loud bit, quiet bit, another loud bit, quiet bit = Pixies, ripped by Nirvana as stated by Dave Grohl himself) Cobain defintely had something about him. He was a talent, his voice although limited was pretty unique and I'm sure that had he mastered his demons he'd be doing some good stuff today. The opening bars of Come as You Are still send shivers up my spine even now.

What was v.sad for me was Cobain's reaction to the sudden commercial explosion of the Seattle/grunge thing. To be at the sharp end of something like that should've been some kind of crowining glory but instead it was the beginning of the end, almost the final straw in sending Cobain over the edge - he was at that point where it didn't matter what he did, he wanted the opposite and everyone was better than him, a very troubled mind indeed.

FWIW I always preferred Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder's voice is simply legendary.