Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Starting XI & subs for next Sunday

Let’s assume Igor is out - who would you select? 

Will LB revert back to the diamond or stick with the back 5? 

Do Williams and Solly come back in?

Does Pratley start following his MOM performance on Friday? 

Could Reeves make the bench to give us more attacking options? 

I trust LB but for what it’s worth I’d go for the following...

Phillips

ADS    Bauer    Sarr    Purrington

Bielik 

Cullen           Pratley

Aribo

Williams      Taylor

Subs:
Maxwell
Solly
Pearce
Morgan
JFC
Reeves
Parker

Comments

• Options
    I think Pearce v Sarr is the big decision. I'd like Naby to start as I think he is the better footballer. But Pearce has the experience. Tough one.
  • Options
    Does anyone actually refer to Dijksteel as ADS?! 

Actually quite like that 11, would be tough on Sarr but a big decision is needed there 
  • Options
    I’d be gutted for Lapslie if he didn’t make the bench. 

Wouldn’t be disappointed if that was the 11. Really hopeful of a big game from Williams.
  • Options
    Gotta start with 2 up front

i can see the same starting 11
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'd start Solly...

People wont like it as Dijksteel has done well but Chris has that "lead by experience" aura about him that we saw with the penalties and think we need it for Sunday from one of him or Pearce back there

Bauer has done well as Captain but think he himself does better when he doesnt have that responsbility on his shoulders - Nor has Sarr done enough to be dropped still
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:
    I’d be gutted for Lapslie if he didn’t make the bench. 

Wouldn’t be disappointed if that was the 11. Really hopeful of a big game from Williams.
    I'd put Lapslie on the bench ahead of Morgan if Reeves is there too - Friday we barely saw Albie and think it would be too big a game throw him into at any point, for some reason dont expect to see Ben though
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Hope Pratley doesn't start. I expect a return to the diamond with Williams in for Morgan. 
    Would bring Pratley on for the final 20mins provided that we've got more than a one goal lead - If its just 1-0 then it sends too much of a message ot Sunderland that we're sitting back
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Hope Pratley doesn't start. I expect a return to the diamond with Williams in for Morgan. 
    Would bring Pratley on for the final 20mins provided that we've got more than a one goal lead - If its just 1-0 then it sends too much of a message ot Sunderland that we're sitting back
    I think it sends that message at any time and doesn't work even if he plays well. Almost certain he will come on if we're leading though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer needs to get inside their heads, we can't afford to be paralysed with nerves like some were on Friday.
    Other than that, I would start as we did Friday, unless by some miracle Igor is available to replace Josh
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Tough one for sure, I would personally overload the midfield. Sunderland aren't a side that seem to concede many and their strength against Pompey was the midfield. 

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Williams Cullen Pratley Bielik Aribo
    Taylor

Parker is is not good enough, Simon Church with character. He doesn't trap the ball, any time he has it he never gets forward, he works hard yeah but every player should work hard.

We can't play the same way we tried from the off against Doncaster, Sunderland will eat us alive and we can't play 5 at the back, Bielik is too ambitious to rely on as a defender and Purrington isn't good enough going forward as a wing back. 

Overload the midfield, hold on to the ball, hope for a bit of magic from Aribo, Williams or Taylor and try and hurt them from set pieces and balls across the box

Edit: thought I would just add I know playing 1 up top and 5 midfielders appears negative but when you only have 1 good striker on the books, no genuine attacking full backs with pace and no wingers what other formation is there? 
  • Options
    Philips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Aribo Bielik Cullen
    Forster-Caskey
    Taylor Vetokele

Dijksteel, Sarr, Purrington all dropped and Forster-Caskey coming in to start? No chance. 

Dijksteel has played well recently and should start, especially if they have any pace down their left. Tough call on Sarr. He has been better than Pearce this season but does have a mistake in him. But did we see his bad side on Friday? Hopefully, and his class form since Christmas will be back. 

Think Bowyer has handled JFC poorly. Yes he was out a long time but he should have had a bit more gametime. Now we have no idea how match fit he is. 
  • Options
    Philips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Aribo Bielik Cullen
    Forster-Caskey
    Taylor Vetokele

Dijksteel, Sarr, Purrington all dropped and Forster-Caskey coming in to start? No chance. 

Dijksteel has played well recently and should start, especially if they have any pace down their left. Tough call on Sarr. He has been better than Pearce this season but does have a mistake in him. But did we see his bad side on Friday? Hopefully, and his class form since Christmas will be back. 

Think Bowyer has handled JFC poorly. Yes he was out a long time but he should have had a bit more gametime. Now we have no idea how match fit he is. 
    At a guess I'd say Henry is in whooshy mode
  • Options
    How anyone can drop Purrington I do not know! Need their head checking! He has gone under the radar as a very important player in this side! He has been pivotal to our run in! Defensively very sound and getting better going forward with each game!
  • Options
    I saw something earlier that, under new EFL regs coming in, if it goes to extra time in the play off final each team is allowed to bring on a fourth substitute.
  • Options
    Rose
    Hewie Kinsey
    Bailey Haydock Tocknell
    Kenning Matthews Firmani Edwards Glover
    Sub. Peacock

Sick of the moaners getting on Daisy Edwards back and the pock-marked git who keeps calling out "Hewie you streak of piss".
    Where have the missing 40k fans gone? Fekking owner  ;)
    I like that team from 63/64.
  • Options
    Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Cullen Pratley
    Aribo
    Taylor Parker

Maxwell Solly Pearce Lapslie Williams Reeves Forster-Caskey

Harsh on Morgan I know but he played his part in the semi finals and we need a couple of older heads in and around the squad on Sunday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw something earlier that, under new EFL regs coming in, if it goes to extra time in the play off final each team is allowed to bring on a fourth substitute.
    Donny used four subs on Friday.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
                  Phillips
    Dij.   Bauer.    Sarr.   Purrington
                    Beilik
             Cullen.    Williams
                    Aribo
             Taylor.     Parker

Maxwell
    Solly
    Pratley
    Pearce
    Morgan
    Waqim
    Forster Caskey

only team change is Williams for Morgan, would def keep Morgan on bench for his lovely passing range if we are chasing the game.  Page has not played at all and cant be ready, would rather the young striker from France (Waqim?) on the bench as an option.  Harsh on Lapslie. Am assuming Vet won’t make it.  
  • Options
    Struggling to name the team, though don't expect Morgan to start.

Thought the bench on Friday was a bit unbalanced, puzzled why Lapslie was ahead of Reeves, indeed Marshall would have been a better option instead of Lapslie, seeing that we had JFC and Pratley to play centre midfield already, as he gives something slightly different. Williams looked good when he came on, but then coming on when most of the players had already been out there for 95 minutes is a lot easier than starting. 

Defensively we weren't good on Friday, whether this was just a one off or our defence needs changes is something for Bowyer to consider. Indeed the starting 11 was pretty young other than the front two, maybe more experience is needed for such a tense occasion.
  • Options
    Only question for me is if he brings Williams back in for Morgan.

On the opening day we had 3 strikers and hardly anyone else, now we could change the whole midfield and defence and actually not be much weaker.  Yet only half 1 and a half strikers.  Funny old game. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'd start Solly...

People wont like it as Dijksteel has done well but Chris has that "lead by experience" aura about him that we saw with the penalties and think we need it for Sunday from one of him or Pearce back there

Bauer has done well as Captain but think he himself does better when he doesnt have that responsbility on his shoulders - Nor has Sarr done enough to be dropped still
    Agree re Solly in for Dijksteel. I’d also start  Williams ahead of Morgan. 
  • Options
    I'd bring in Williams for Morgan. His energy will keep us ticking along and make things less comfortable for our opponents. If Igor is fit, I suspect he will not start and be on the bench.
  • Options
    For me, I’d go with a back 3 and wing backs and sacrifice Parker

DP

Bauer
    Pearce
    Sarr

Anfernee
    Purrington

Cullen
    Bielik

Williams
    Aribo

Taylor
  • Options
    I'd bring in Williams for Morgan. His energy will keep us ticking along and make things less comfortable for our opponents. If Igor is fit, I suspect he will not start and be on the bench.
    If Igor is fit he has to start over Parker.

Actually, if Igor can walk he has to start over Parker.
  • Options
    Yes this is correct. Was also true for SF. In fact DR did use 4 I believe. 
  • Options
    Personally I would keep the same team that started. Reservation if players look too nervous in build up which only Bowyer and his team can judge. Williams better coming from the bench against tiring legs. Pratley or Morgan is possible but again I would start Morgan and can change if we are getting overrun. Sarr and Djik deserve to keep their place even though I am a huge fan of Pearce and Solly. Even if Igor is fit I would keep him on the bench to come when Parker has run himself to the ground.