Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robot lawn mower

Comments

• Evergreen weed and feed in spring and autumn. Cut once a week. Keep your dog off it!!
  • Best way to patch it?
  • Best way to patch it?
    I just rake off the patch of poor / brown grass and then fill it with top soil with grass seed on top. Slightly rake it in then water. Keep it watered every few days and keep your dog off it - they love new soil!!
  • Best way to patch it?
    I just rake off the patch of poor / brown grass and then fill it with top soil with grass seed on top. Slightly rake it in then water. Keep it watered every few days and keep your dog off it - they love new soil!!

And cover with netting to keep the birds off it !!
  • Redrobo said:
    Small lawn should take about 10 minutes, especially if you do it twice a week.

If you can’t be bothered, spend £10 a week for a Gardner to do an hour a week and have a nice garden to sit in at the weekend and enjoy.

Robot mower my arse. Whatever next.
    £10 per hour for a gardener. 
    Good luck with that.
    £5 an hour (Grandchildren)
  • Thanks @HardyAddick no dog, and have no control of the cat!
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks @HardyAddick no dog, and have no control of the cat!
    PM @i_b_b_o_r_g
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    I must admit, I looked into the robot motors a while ago but decided to stick with my petrol mower.  I'm sad enough to love mowing my lawn.  Its a man job around the house I can actually do, unlike proper DIY which frightens the life out of me.

Now if only they could come up with a robot that waters the plants!

Thats my next job, installing an automatic watering system to water both front and back gardens.  I may love mowing my lawn but I can't stand the 60-90 mins it takes to properly water both of our gardens.  Add that up to 2-3 times a week over a summer and thats time that can be used for doing other stuff. 
    I take it, you’re not on a meter.
    Yes, we're on a meter.  Its supposed to be more efficient watering for say 10-15 mins every night after the sun goes down than a big bulk water every 3 days or so.
    I watered every other night over the summer and had the sprinkler on as well for the lawn and our water bill wasn't astronomical.  We were a bit worried at first but I think it was £50 more than usual over them months so was a price worth paying.   I've also been looking at getting some water butts with a solar powered pump.
  • Embrace the ants. Absolutely fascinating little creatures. What is it with humans that we are so desperate for control and perfection in 'our' little patch that the death of other creatures is so inconsequential? Biodiversity has never been more important. Please, everyone with gardens be thoughtful to your tiny neighbours, try to help not destroy.
  • Sponsored links:

• we love our robot lawn mower

• My mate has one, it’s brilliant. Although it was something like 2k. Mows during the night 3 times a week in summer, he has a big lawn.
  • Redrobo said:

If you can’t be bothered, spend £10 a week for a Gardner to do an hour a week and have a nice garden to sit in at the weekend and enjoy.

Good luck with that.
    I hear Henderson’s and Cousins are looking for work...
  • You should have a word with the groundsman at Forest Green Rovers - he's got one.

“That’s the ET Mow or, as we call it, ‘The Mowbot’,” says Adam Witchell, the groundsman, pointing to a piece of equipment that is to all intents another member of staff. “It’s a robotic mower, it works from satellites and there’s a wire that runs around the pitch, so it has a perimeter. It will cut the whole pitch in three days. If there is ever a problem and it gets stuck, it sends a text to my phone to tell me.

“It’s all eco – it works off solar and windpower – and it charges itself. You just turn it on and it’s away. If anything gets in its way, for example if a human was stood there, it would go up to the human and bump it slightly – not hard – and then it will stop and go in another direction. Then it will come back two hours later to the same area because it knows that it needs to cut every blade of grass. It’s a fantastic machine and I think more clubs  @PragueAddick should use one.”

• Addickted said:
    Evergreen weed and feed in spring and autumn. Cut once a week. Keep your dog off it!!
    Thanks for the advice.

I'll let him piss in the downstairs loo instead.
    Brilliant  😂
  • Redrobo said:

Good luck with that.
    I pay £30 for 3.5 hrs a fortnight. Helps me keep up with things.
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Good luck with that.
    Thats brilliant. 
    18 quid per hour is the going rate where I live. 

• Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Good luck with that.
    Thats brilliant. 

That’s twice what I earn. Where do you live?
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Good luck with that.
    Thats brilliant. 

Chelsfield 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Good luck with that.
    Thats brilliant. 

Chelsfield 
    Ahh, posh.
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Good luck with that.
    Thats brilliant. 

Chelsfield 
    Ahh, posh.
    Yep.
    I'm a gardener  😁
  • edited May 2019
    I’ve had  numerous petrol mowers down the years I’ve had a corded electric mower (flymo and Bosch, prefer flymo )

I’m onto a rechargeable mower from Argos made by Spear & Jackson, although the first one packed up, after 6 months I wasn’t too fussed as it now meant I had a spare battery ( I bought another battery direct from spear & Jackson).

I absolutely love it, it’s light, gives the lawn fantastic stripes, and I wouldn’t even consider a robot mower, if this one knackered I would buy another one,as I hate the hassle of cords, and the stink of leaky petrol, petrol mowers cost a bomb to have serviced.

As I’ve said I’ve got 3 batteries and as long as you have one charged whilst using one, you’ll be fine, I get through about 1 and a bit batteries each time I cut the grass.
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Good luck with that.
    Thats brilliant. 

I pay £15 an hour but he's just decided to give up gardening.

I forgot how much I enjoy mowing the lawn - although a ride-on makes it easy!!

• In the words of The Goodies, It might as well be string.
  • OK OK @Stig I'll go easy on the ants. Nothing works on them anyway, but they like long grass, so I figure if it is cut every day the bastards will piss off and excavate someone else's lawn. 

But wait til July when they make their annual festival in my winter garden, I'm gonna post the fotos here. 
  • I cut grass for a living, getting the stripes is all about the height and weight of the roller, and the direction of cut
  • edited May 2019
    And never cut the grass too low ..unless you own a bowling green or cricket square