Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man City Takeover

I can't believe that a man who (legal bit) 'has been alledged' to have given the green light for 1000s summary executions of his own citizens is being considered a 'fit and proper person' to run a football club. There are plenty of undesirable British and foreign owners of Football clubs in this country but people are being indicted in the Hague on less serious matters (than those alledged). Is football so morally vacuous that anything goes as long as the price is right? Maybe i've missed the reports but Thaksins war on drugs/dealers (or anyone the police have a gripe with) and the subsequent body count seems to have been completely ignored by the British press and all that matters is who he'll be able to bring in next season. Pathetic.

S.

Comments

• Options
    Probably because Thailand one of the countries that supports us and the US in our "war" against the Axis of Evil......

Same as why we ignore human rights issues in Saudi and Pakistan
  • Options
    agreed, I wouldnt trust that bloke with my bike.. let alone my club....

imagine being the manager if the results arent going the right way.....gulp!

a thai death sanctioner shouldnt really be heading up a football club.....
  • Options
    Thaksin's history, and politics in Thailand (as our couple of Thai bloggers will confirm) is a lot more complex than is being portrayed in the UK press.

Thaksin was far more interested in continuing to make money via his myriad of businesses which he, ahem, "transferred" to his family when he became PM than in being a brutal dictator in the style of Soeharto or Marcos.

The reality is that he probably did not command or order these alleged killings but instead chose not to stop those who wanted to carry them out (ie, the senior military) because he knew that opposing them would mean an almost certain military coup which took place in the end anyway.

Thaksin is nothing more than a typically sly, sneaky devious businessman turned politicial in the Berlusconi mould, although he is probably nowhere near as much of a bastard as Silvio.
  • Options
    sorry boys 2 things i been taught.
    don't argue about religion and politic's
    so this is all yours
  • Options
    Thaksin's political party was called 'Thai Rak Thai", roughly translated as Thais love Thais. Although he did give plenty of handouts to the poor in order that he would get their votes during the general elections, he was very much disliked by the middle classes in Thailand who saw him for what he is; basically he was in politics not for the good of Thailand but for himself and his cronies.

He was a successful businessman before entering politics and his wealth grew astronomically when he was PM.

There are many who do consider him directly responsible for the so-called drug killings, though it should also be added that many local police used this as a convenient way of getting rid of any troublemakers whether there were drugs involved or not. This was a populist policy, again to get the popular vote by promising to protect their children from the temptation of drugs. He had a similar attitude towards vice, hence the fleshpots of Bangkok are not what they used to be and bar hours are much less flexible.

He had a number of successful policies but his biggest problem was the fact that he ignored advice and took decisions himself, often impulsive. Cabinet reshuffles occurred every few weeks and he called all the shots.

Nothing has yet been proven regarding Thaksin's human rights record, nor the alleged corruption.

If he retains the same attitude at Man City, he'll be picking the team and if a player has a bad game he'll be serving behind the bar the following week. And the body looking at transfer bungs will need to be quite vigilant!