Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Referees vs Doncaster play off

Championship referees will take charge of both our semi final play off legs.
Oli Langford from the west Midlands will take charge of the 1st leg away to Doncaster. He has shown 107 yellow cards this season and 6 red card. He last refereed us on new years day 2018 when we lost 2-1 at home to Gillingham.

The home 2nd leg will be refereed by Gavin Ward from kent. He has shown 126 yellow cards and 8 red cards. He has refereed us twice at home this season. He took charge of the 2-0 win vs Doncaster incidentally and the 3-1 win over Luton just 3 weeks ago where he failed to send the Luton goalie off, awarded us a soft looking penalty before giving Luton a red card. He Is normally a very controversial referee!!!! 

Have added a picture of them which might jog people's memory if you have seen them at Charlton before or on sky during the season. 

Gavin Ward 1st Picture vs luton
Oli Langford 2nd picture 

Comments

• The Luton ref was Jank.
  • spoke to a pal whos a ref reckons ward is from surrey FFS
  • spoke to a pal whos a ref reckons ward is from surrey FFS

I think he may be based In Surrey now actually you are right 
  • Gavin ward is a prick. He refereed us a couple of times in pre season , one being the game v Crawley at east grinstead where him and Bowyer had words on numerous occasions about fouls awarded/not awarded etc. Seems to be a referee that likes to make it more about him than the actual game
  • Jesus !!  Can't the EFL give us any decent refs.  How Ward never sent the Luton goalie off I'll never know.....like the one on Saturday. Do theses idiots actually know the laws of the game. 
  • Both under pressure to perform for the Lancs' Statbank

Referees have been quite good ironically since Gavin Ward for the Luton game
  • edited May 2019
    Jesus !!  Can't the EFL give us any decent refs.  How Ward never sent the Luton goalie off I'll never know.....like the one on Saturday. Do theses idiots actually know the laws of the game. 
    ??? Sent the goalkeeper off for what?

1. Two cautions (ie Persistent misconduct)
    2  Foul and/or abusive language
    3. Spitting
    4. Violent conduct
    5. Serious foul play

Suggest (with greatest respect), you learn the laws of the game.
  • PeterGage said:
    Jesus !!  Can't the EFL give us any decent refs.  How Ward never sent the Luton goalie off I'll never know.....like the one on Saturday. Do theses idiots actually know the laws of the game. 

3. Spitting
    4. Violent conduct
    5. Serious foul play

PG you conveniently omitted denying a goal-scoring opportunity. RED. I suspect you are part of the referees guild of opologists for poor refereeing decisions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Goal line technology also being installed for all Play off games 
  • PeterGage said:

3. Spitting
    4. Violent conduct
    5. Serious foul play

6. Denies a goal scoring opportunity.

No doubt he did, but also could have come under violent conduct. Was not at the game but saw the highlights, couldn't believe he wasn't sent off.

• I wonder if @PeterGage has ever accepted a ref got a decision wrong.

The Luton keeper should have been off the pitch, no ifs no buts.
  • edited May 2019
    @PeterGage certainly knows the laws of the game.  I had a long discussion about the Luton incident and I accept that there was no goal scoring opportunity as the ball was in flight (probably different outcome if the ball had been played past the keeper, but the laws are the laws).  I also understand why the ref from his angle could come to the conclusion that there was no excessive force - from side on it looked like the keeper had no intention of playing the ball and launched at Igor when he could have just blocked him - but the ref is the one who has to make that decision from a single viewpoint.  I am grateful for Peter's input in explaining WHY some of these decisions are made.  Whether he agrees with them either publicly or privately is irrelevant to me, I just like to know why :-)

(as for Saturday's decision, from my viewpoint that looked exactly the explanation the ref gave Pat - no clear goalscoring opportunity because the offence occurred too far from the goal, so no red).
  • Count our blessings. It could have been Stroud and Kettle.
  • CatAddick said:
    @PeterGage certainly knows the laws of the game.  I had a long discussion about the Luton incident and I accept that there was no goal scoring opportunity as the ball was in flight (probably different outcome if the ball had been played past the keeper, but the laws are the laws).  I also understand why the ref from his angle could come to the conclusion that there was no excessive force - from side on it looked like the keeper had no intention of playing the ball and launched at Igor when he could have just blocked him - but the ref is the one who has to make that decision from a single viewpoint.  I am grateful for Peter's input in explaining WHY some of these decisions are made.  Whether he a agrees with them either publicly or privately is irrelevant to me, I just like to know why :-)

(as for Saturday's decision, from my viewpoint that looked exactly the explanation the ref gave Pat - no clear goalscoring opportunity because the offence occurred too far from the goal, so no red).
    Your 2nd paragraph us absolute bollox (pardon my french).  If a player is on his own, 50 yards from goal, with just the goalkeeper to beat, then in anyone's book that is a  "goalscoring opportunity". If not, the  the offside law should be amended.....can't have it both ways.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gavin Ward's average marks were:
    Doncaster H: 6.45
    LutonH: 4.35
    The average for refs is 5.89
  • Didnt realise Ward had taken charge of the Doncaster game at the Valley

Surely must be the first referee to officiate the same two teams at the same venue in a single season
  • CatAddick said:
    @PeterGage certainly knows the laws of the game.  I had a long discussion about the Luton incident and I accept that there was no goal scoring opportunity as the ball was in flight (probably different outcome if the ball had been played past the keeper, but the laws are the laws).  I also understand why the ref from his angle could come to the conclusion that there was no excessive force - from side on it looked like the keeper had no intention of playing the ball and launched at Igor when he could have just blocked him - but the ref is the one who has to make that decision from a single viewpoint.  I am grateful for Peter's input in explaining WHY some of these decisions are made.  Whether he a agrees with them either publicly or privately is irrelevant to me, I just like to know why :-)

Your 2nd paragraph us absolute bollox (pardon my french).  If a player is on his own, 50 yards from goal, with just the goalkeeper to beat, then in anyone's book that is a  "goalscoring opportunity". If not, the  the offside law should be amended.....can't have it both ways.
    Personally.... totally agree with you.  Just reporting what appeared to be the conversation between ref and Pat.  From how the ref was gesticulating, another 20 yards and he would have walked.
  • PeterGage said:

3. Spitting
    4. Violent conduct
    5. Serious foul play

get real mate, in ANY game of football, any day of the week that was a straight red.....keeper was out of control, Igor was through and was wiped out.

have you played the game?

• Ref sticking up for another Ref shocker. Worse than the goalkeepers union.
  • Ref sticking up for another Ref shocker. Worse than the goalkeepers union.

100% agree. IT annoys me why they bother having the former ref's in the BT studio . The Luton keeper should have been sent off for serious foul play.
  • PeterGage said:

3. Spitting
    4. Violent conduct
    5. Serious foul play

6. Denies a goal scoring opportunity.

No doubt he did, but also could have come under violent conduct. Was not at the game but saw the highlights, couldn't believe he wasn't sent off.

Sorry Pete, but it cannot come under Violent Conduct. The difference between Violent Conduct and Serious Foul Play is that with the former (VC), the ball is not part of the incident, namely thinks like headbutting, punching etc.

• My last word on the subject. 

Please review the incident on YouTube again please. The Luton goalkeeper did NOT touch Igor. The keeper stretched his full leg, in a vertical position, in free space, in front and across the midriff of Igor. The momentum of Igor took him into the keepers leg, thus stopping the forward movement of Igor. A clear and cynical foul.

The ref then has to decide was it a red card or yellow card. For it to be red, the tackle has to be classed as "excessive force"; for a yellow, it has to classed as "reckless". I personally cannot believe that a " dangled leg" in front of Igor, even as cynical as the foul was, can be classed as excessive. I guess that is how the match ref saw it.

Each person on this site obviously has a right to offer his/her opinion, which may or may not agree/disagree with mine. I respect all views.

I simply offer my views based upon many years experience of refereeing at a senior level (National League) and hope that my views are at least considered. If you then disagree, so be it.

Have a good day  on and all - (from sunny Tobago).
  • Oli Langford's Doncaster history

The first time Langford officiated a Rovers match was in 2011. Rovers won that match 1-0 at home to Burnley. The following season, he took charge of two Rovers matches – a 3-0 away defeat at Derby County and a 0-0 home draw with Cardiff.

Most recently, the man from the West Midlands took charge of Rovers home defeat to Plymouth Argyle in March 2017.

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/officials-confirmed-for-charlton/

• ward is a good ref