Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football League Play-Offs (2018/19)

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    I'd like it to be;

Forest Green
    Charlton
    West Brom.

Think it'll be;

Mansfield
    Charlton
    Leeds
    That last prediction is a risk

How many times do all three top Play-Off teams go up in the same season?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I'd like it to be;

Forest Green
    Charlton
    West Brom.

Think it'll be;

Mansfield
    Charlton
    Leeds
    That last prediction is a risk

How many times do all three top Play-Off teams go up in the same season?
    Hey, what can I say. I walk on the wild side.

;-)
  • Options

The match is a repeat of this year's EFL Trophy final, making this season the fourth in which both of that competition's finalists have also reached the play-offs.

Both EFL Trophy finalists in 1992, 1993 and 2018 all qualified for the play-offs - but none of those six teams won promotion.

However, the losing finalists in the EFL Trophy have a better play-off record than the winners, with four of the six losing finalists to also make the play-offs gaining promotion this way.

Of the 11 EFL Trophy winners prior to Portsmouth to also qualify for the play-offs, only two - Grimsby Town in 1998 and Barnsley in 2016 - have also won their play-off final.

• Options
    Using the Euro Club Index - a ranking of all European teams - to estimate the chances of progress in this year's play-offs, West Brom, Charlton and Newport are the most likely winners. However, all three play-off competitions are tightly matched.

In League One, Charlton are currently the favourites to go up via the play-offs. Their strong favouritism at this stage is due to the weakness of their semi-final opponents Doncaster. If Charlton and Sunderland both reach the final, Sunderland will be the favourites to win.

League One play-off prospects
    ClubTo reach finalTo win promotion
    Charlton62.1%31.5%
    Sunderland54.0%29.1%
    Portsmouth46.0%23.1%
    Doncaster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48206295

37.9%

16.4%

• Options
    Won 70 quid last night done us villa and newport. Just under 3.5k back. Wish me luck 
  • Options
    Am hoping for Derby, CAFC, Forest Green
  • Options
    Bielsa has apparently said that him and his players have discussed the Villa incident and have announced that should a Derby player go down injured then Leeds will still carry on playing unless the Referee stops the game
  • Options
    Bielsa has apparently said that him and his players have discussed the Villa incident and have announced that should a Derby player go down injured then Leeds will still carry on playing unless the Referee stops the game
    and quite right too .. and if a player is found to be feigning injury, he should be red carded .. your suggestion of independent medics working alongside those from the clubs as a precaution to prevent cheating/simulation is a great idea .
  • Options

Ive gone for:

Villa

Charlton

Tranmere

Not sure if all of the above is with head or heart, could be a mix although would like Newport to go up not Tranmere.

• Options
    Head tells me:

Villa
    Sunderland
    Newport

I want:

Derby - (I actually haven't managed aways to Leeds, Villa & West Brom yet)
    Charlton - for some reason
    Forest Green - (Imagiune the aways otherwise, Tranmere, Manfield... Newport)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Newport/Mansfield tonight .. Crofts on Newport bench, Ajose on Mansfield's .. I fancy Newport, the 'momentum' team to win promotion (even though it's a welsh club)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Great finish from CJ Hamilton!!

Mansfield in full control at the start here
  • Options
    Really good opener to the Play-Offs here

Should be 1-1 but from a class save from Mansfield 'keeper
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    1-0 to Mansfield @ Half-Time

Bit of controversy though after Newport got a free-kick

All the players got ready for it to be taken, Ref goes to chat with the Lino and eventually an offside is given so the free kick dont happen

More sodding around from Charles Breakspear who continued his habit of not sending off players for being last man by failing to send off O'Brien early on
  • Options
    Hamilton scored a beauty against us at their place in the cup .. this one was even better .. my Newport for promotion prediction is looking very dodgy ((:<)
  • Options
    Similar foul to the one on Josh Parker early on in the first half. Clean through on goal, defender pulls him down and he only gets a yellow. Maybe there has been a rule change we’re unaware of?
  • Options
    Similar foul to the one on Josh Parker early on in the first half. Clean through on goal, defender pulls him down and he only gets a yellow. Maybe there has been a rule change we’re unaware of?
    Surely has to have been... Feels crazy if so as seems to be a double jeopardy to the team on the receiving end

i.e. You dont get a goal (could happen when you man runs through), the opposition dont go down to 10-men (Giving you greater chance of winning)

On the other hand an instant red for being last man was always a good rule because it meant that the tackle had to be spot on to avoid the dreaded punishment - Now as we can see the player might as well commit a rugby tackle because they know they'll only get a Yellow card!!... Once again you have to question the experience of those making the rules and whether they need to get both ex-Players and ex-Referees on these rule making panels or whoever they are
  • Options
    Surely has to have been... Feels crazy if so as seems to be a double jeopardy to the team on the receiving end

i.e. You dont get a goal (could happen when you man runs through), the opposition dont go down to 10-men (Giving you greater chance of winning)

On the other hand an instant red for being last man was always a good rule because it meant that the tackle had to be spot on to avoid the dreaded punishment - Now as we can see the player might as well commit a rugby tackle because they know they'll only get a Yellow card!!... Once again you have to question the experience of those making the rules and whether they need to get both ex-Players and ex-Referees on these rule making panels or whoever they are
    I agree. If there has been a rule change, it’s a bit stupid
  • Options
    Even better save that time from the Mansfield goalie!!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Blatant penalty to Newport... they deserve that equaliser

Unlucky to the Goalkeeper though who initially saved it

Good to see Lennie on the bench too

Andrew Crofts now on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ouch... take that back, Goalkeeper gets a clear hand to the ball

Didnt realise it was Azeez either
  • Options
    Azeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

i love him just because his name is in one of my fav films (5th Element). 

I so wish he’d stayed with us. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

The match is a repeat of this year's EFL Trophy final, making this season the fourth in which both of that competition's finalists have also reached the play-offs.

Both EFL Trophy finalists in 1992, 1993 and 2018 all qualified for the play-offs - but none of those six teams won promotion.

However, the losing finalists in the EFL Trophy have a better play-off record than the winners, with four of the six losing finalists to also make the play-offs gaining promotion this way.

Of the 11 EFL Trophy winners prior to Portsmouth to also qualify for the play-offs, only two - Grimsby Town in 1998 and Barnsley in 2016 - have also won their play-off final.

That's Pompey and Sunderland fucked then!
  • Options
    Decent match last night. Mansfield showed their quality but they never finished Mansfield off. Great start to the play offs and hoping tonight’s game will be as good.
  • Options
    Decent match last night. Mansfield showed their quality but they never finished Mansfield off. Great start to the play offs and hoping tonight’s game will be as good.
    I thought Newport could have won it themselves; Mansfield barely got out their half in the 2nd Half, was only some top goalkeeping that kept it 1-1
  • Options

Goes to show how difficult is the referee's job without access to instant tv replays when confronted with difficult choices
  • Options
    that's Mansfield, the epitome of a team that consistently flatters to deceive (you mean never finished Newport off)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Forest Green down to 10 after 15 minutes
  • Options
    Stupid idiot has let his team down

Kicked out
  • Options
    I blame the vegan diet, it made him grumpy :wink: