Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Betty Hutchins

Comments

• Sad news, one of the great and the good.
  • Davo55 said:
    Christ, I don't think I've ever met Betty but that was emotional.

Well done the club for recognising her.

And Lyle Taylor. What a truly impressive young man he is. I really hope he stays with us for the rest of his career and, who knows, maybe in coaching or managerial roles in the future. He seems to really "get" Charlton and could be one of our all time legends.
    Well said mate. Lyle a very impressive and bright young man and a credit to his own parents. As for Betty, she is a legend. Proper Charlton 
  • I'm not ashamed to say that has made my eyes leak, I'm really sorry to hear about Bet yet also enormously proud of Lyle Taylor
  • As above with Carter, all the best wishes from me Betty, remember talking you in the antigallican when we
    came back to the valley.  Also huge respect to Lyle.Carter said:
    I'm not ashamed to say that has made my eyes leak, I'm really sorry to hear about Bet yet also enormously proud of Lyle Taylor

• Very moving. Well done the club. What a great club we are. Shame you know who can't see it. 
  • One of the great big hitters I aspire to. God bless you Betty x
  • Sponsored links:

• As Northstandsteve and Afka said
    Our Charlton history and Charlton cloth on these coaches.
    God bless Betty
  • my youngest and his mates go home and away by train coz they get cheap train tickets but they haven't really earned their badges until they've experienced a gruelling low key midweek northern away game on a coach - i can't claim to be that decorated in this respect either but i've done a fair few but for those who went week in, week out, like Betty and the likes of treadgold, dixon, cheesewright etc...  a raffle, a hilights video, an occasional victory even - we salute you 
  • DOUCHER said:
    my youngest and his mates go home and away by train coz they get cheap train tickets but they haven't really earned their badges until they've experienced a gruelling low key midweek northern away game on a coach - i can't claim to be that decorated in this respect either but i've done a fair few but for those who went week in, week out, like Betty and the likes of treadgold, dixon, cheesewright etc...  a raffle, a hilights video, an occasional victory even - we salute you 
    Too right. Grimsby or Tranmere on a Friday involving a day off work. A coach limited to 58 miles an hour and that inevitably breaks down on the way home at 1am, finally managing to get you home about 6am.  For many it was all they could afford so they were back the next week. Betty Hutchins was always there along with Eddie Cecil (Lewis Coach Number 1 driver) - happy times despite the results.
  • Very sad, spent many an away trip on ‘Betty’s coach’ with my old man back in the late 70’s and 80’s.

the Lewis’s ones with Eddie driving were the best days 

wish Betty all the best.....oh and Lyle Taylor is an absolutely top top fella
  • Ah Betty such a lovely lady. Like so many have said she made going to the away games that little bit more special.
    big bad Betty’s barmy army 
    she always looked out for us and some of us needed more looking after than others. Lol
    all the best Betty xx

• What a lady, what a young man...
  • DOUCHER said:
    my youngest and his mates go home and away by train coz they get cheap train tickets but they haven't really earned their badges until they've experienced a gruelling low key midweek northern away game on a coach - i can't claim to be that decorated in this respect either but i've done a fair few but for those who went week in, week out, like Betty and the likes of treadgold, dixon, cheesewright etc...  a raffle, a hilights video, an occasional victory even - we salute you 
    Too right. Grimsby or Tranmere on a Friday involving a day off work. A coach limited to 58 miles an hour and that inevitably breaks down on the way home at 1am, finally managing to get you home about 6am.  For many it was all they could afford so they were back the next week. Betty Hutchins was always there along with Eddie Cecil (Lewis Coach Number 1 driver) - happy times despite the results.
    My main memory of Eddie was being on the coach to Sunderland early nineties and there was an exhaust problem, fumes started leaking into the coach so they pulled over and Eddie repaired it just enough to get to the match by strapping a torn up coke can to the broken part. Was quite likely one of Betty's coaches, I certainly remember Sid Cheesewright being on there.
  • Fabulous tribute to a fantastic lady. 
  • I've never met Betty but she is obviously a Charlton legend. I'm vey impressed at the way Lyle Taylor speaks so eloquently, what a lovely young man he is and a great ambassador for the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lovely tribute to a special lady. 
  • A beautiful piece, very touching

• Very moving, like so many others I remember Betty from lots of (usually fruitless) coach trips.....one time she had to gently tick someone off about something, the chant of “Betty is our leader” struck up, she tried her best to keep a straight face but failed totally. A true Charlton legend, and well done to Lyle, Tracey and the club for doing this.

• Very moving & what a likeable & genuine guy Lyle seems.
    Never knew Betty as was always on the trains but of course everyone has heard of her :-)

Best Wishes Betty
  • God bless you and yours Betty.
  • First met Betty on the Lewis's coach back in the 70s.
    Fond memories of great days with great people. Brings a tear to my eye watching this video.

Thinking of you, Betty.

• So sorry to see Betty struggling. She is Charlton through-and-through, as is her daughter Theresa. She used to look out for us teenage urchins on long Lewis coach trips in the late 70's and early 80's. God bless you Betty. 
    Very true, Betty is known by and commanded the respect of the scarvers , and the less gentle fans of those days. 
  • Never met Betty as I was always lucky enough to be only a bus ride away from both Selhurst Park and The Valley as a kid, and later on I drove everywhere.  I think many fans are aware of her and recognise the work she has done for the club over the years.  I wish her and her family all the best.
  • Met Betty many times on Lewis coaches. Thank you Betty
  • Was in bits when I saw this on Sunday night. 

I haven't seen Bet since the Coventry (pigs) game and didn't know she was unwell. Proper Charlton doesn't really sum up Bet, as Smudge said you'd never say no to her on the coach. 

If you see this Bet, still love you loads and hate it that we've lost contact.

Dave