Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Rochdale post-match thread 2019

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for your incredible support throughout this season We're nowhere near finished yet. THREE. MORE. STEPS. #cafc

• Options
    As Lee Bowyer said: "We're going to need you more than ever!" Get your tickets and let's fill The Valley #cafc

• Options

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer hopes to have striker Igor Vetokele back for the play-offs.

The Angolan forward has been in resurgent form recently, scoring twice in his last three appearances as he struck up a useful partnership with Lyle Taylor.

But he was unable to feature during the South Londoners’ 4-0 win over Rochdale on the final day of the regular season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe the yellow yesterday. Parker was being held back for about ten yards, but out-fought the defender. And still nobody got back to prevent him being last man. Stonewall red.
  • Options
    I think people have to be fair and it was clear he did a job for the team yesterday. His touch was poor on a few occasions, one nearly let them in. He should have scored a couple, but he helped set up one and his running caused them problems and that back flick was nearly a great goal. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

What the Dickens:
    The problem is we have a right Charlie of an owner and we may just be left with bitter sweet memories.

Sam, did you realise "A Tale of Two Cities" was first serialised in two provincial newspapers? It was the Bicester Times, it was the Worcester Times.
    Love it  :)
    I thought it was the Brussels Bugle and the Flemish Times. 

Sidney Carton AKA Roland Duchatelet,
    Quote from his bunker this morning.

It is a far, far better thing that I do now by selling CAFC, than I have ever done before,
    I let the Flemish mare influence me and it is a far better rest I have now than I have ever had before. Ugh.
  • Options
    If only Roland would sacrifice his life for the greater good like Carton.
  • Options
    Just a thought,Luton,Portsmouth and Sunderland,all spent big in the january transfer window,we sold one of our top players,and spent nothing.Luton almost blew an unassailable lead,Portsmouth and Sunderland went backwards,we hardly put a foot wrong.Just goes to show,Igor might not have got his chance,nor might Albie Morgan,had we bought someone who might well have flopped.
  • Options
    Thanks Roland
  • Options
    Vetokele's form has been a stroke of luck but we still lack cover if he or Taylor is injured. Not sure we can cover left back too well either. I don't think anybody expected loads of buys, but the window was an opportunity to plug some gaps. You can look back a few defeats and wonder what might have been. But it is what it is and where as we had an injury crisis early in the season, it is looking better now. 
  • Options
    Just goes to show,Igor might not have got his chance,nor might Albie Morgan,had we bought someone who might well have flopped.....

Three mights go to prove that all is good in the garden of Roland then...just goes to show ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Did anyone during yesterdays game give a thought as to who owns the club,this was football and entertainment of the highest order,played by a bunch of lads who clearly played for the shirt.A special word about Parker,he had some dodgy moments but not once did he hide ,respect to the man.The atmosphere at the club is the best for many years,personally,not condoning Rolands stewardship ,if I could witness this sort of football every week,I could not care less who owns the club.Maybe I will change my mind if certain contract issues are not resolved,but at the moment the sole concern should be about what happens on the pitch.
    So when we get promoted but STILL lose our manager, our best players and all our loanees ? 
  • Options
    Four nil yesterday - statement.
  • Options
    Thought it could have been seven or eight, but watching the sky highlights it feels like nine or ten was possible. Doncaster will be tougher.
  • Options
    What a shame at the start of the season we didnt have a full squad, and an owner who genuinely cared about the club.
  • Options
    All loan spells come to an end and many are for the benefit of young players who need experience.Bielic and Cullen are premiership players in the making.Purrington is a stand in until Page is fit and Maxwell has not played.No one knows what at this moment in time will happen to the likes of Aribo,Bauer,and others out of contract,or even Bowyer.Football is all about mights,if this had gone in ,if we had won this .All clubs will be saying the same.I prefer to take the glass half full attitude rather than the half empty.We could have paid 500,000 for a striker who probably would not have done as well as igor(I quote that prolific goal scoring machine Will Grigg who cost 1.5 million and has done f.a.)James Vaughan at Portsmouth,done f.a.At this moment we are the best team in this league,that is not luck,that is a group of players that are rewarding the trust shown in them by the management team.
  • Options
    Exciting future ahead for Morgan. Hope we get to see a few years of  it at least
  • Options
    Exciting future ahead for Morgan. Hope we get to see a few years of  it at least
    See him being like Jonjo Shelvey

Without doubt has that same eye for a pass
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I think having skim read some posts just about everything has been covered in this thread.

What I found interesting though was pre-match I was in Crossbars and joined by a group of 4 Norwegians at my table, got talking to them and found it quite insightful to the thinking and how / what brought them to Charlton for the day.

They said they don't find football interesting in Norway and instead they all follow English football and don't really follow anybody in the Norwegian league. They fly over from Norway to Stanstead airport arriving on a Friday and will look to go to a game each day over the weekend including Friday night if there's a game on in the area they've flown to. Today they've gone to see Brentford v Preston and fly back home tomorrow.

They actually thought the beer prices in Crossbars was quite reasonable given how expensive it is to drink in Norway and were very complimentary of The Valley in general they said they felt very welcome and were also interested in going to the play off home leg which being on a Friday night they might well do now I guess. 

They even had the Blackpool ticket stubs on them from the previous game they saw in case they couldn't get tickets as one of them likes Leeds in particular and one game couldn't get tickets due to restricted sale. The same guy also mentioned how he had also once been to Stamford Bridge back in the bad old days to see Chelsea v Leeds. They asked who our biggest rivals were and who in my opinion were the most horrible club in London, to which I answered Millwall to both and explained to the guy that a Millwall v Charlton game probably wouldn't be too dissimilar to a Chelsea v Leeds game, they are generally ground hopping around London and will probably avoid Millwall now lol.

They were quite fascinated to hear that i'd been to 65 grounds and they asked which had the best atmosphere i'd been to. Genuinely a difficult question but I said Sunderland based on where i'd been to and is genuinely a fantastic atmosphere when it's a buzzing full house, I saw us lose 3-2 there in the Prem years and the atmosphere was rocking that day. They had been to Newcastle before so might do Sunderland now too.

Completely not related to the match itself I know but i'm glad we put on such a performance for the Norwegians. I was genuinely surprised how as a club we still have quite a pull with football fans abroad. They come over quite a lot for business apparently and also said they'd like to see us get promoted not only so 1 of them would get to see us play Leeds but also so they could entertain business clients too - a lot easier to do when playing the likes of Leeds instead of Rochdale.

Sometimes when you feel RD has completely destroyed the club it's occasions like these that still give a ray of hope for when he does eventually leave.
    I've seen a lot of foreign fans at The Valley this season. Quite a few Scandanavians and Germans but also some Italians and Spanish. Saw some Germans yesterday. 

The Valley is an easy location and easy to get tickets, so it's a no brainier for footy tourists. They can't get tickets for Chelsea etc, so watch Fulham, Charlton and no doubt Millwall, QPR etc. 
    And some, probably French, Francophones yesterday, too.