Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we going to accept £16m from Spurs?

WSSWSS
edited June 2007 in General Charlton
Sorry for yet another speculation thread, from the Guardian:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2108681,00.html

Darren Bent is expected to complete a £16m move to Tottenham within the next seven days after Charlton agreed to accept a reduced offer for their striker.

Comments

• Options
    Still a good deal, giving us a NET profit of around 10Mill after settling with Ipswich. Accept it I say and let Pards organise for next season before Aug 11th.
  • Options
    We might accept it, but will Darren?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]We might accept it, but will Darren?
    ooooo! True
  • Options
    Yes he will. Word is that Spurs are his preferred choice
  • Options
    I wouldn't accept anything less that £16m but the reality is that, unless there is some rich investor waiting in the wings to pump cash into the club, we need to sell DB if we are to move forward as a club.

I agree with WCO, £10 profit is a decent return on the player and I have faith that Pardew would invest it wisely in rebuilding a team that is long due an overhaul.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What I don't understand is why spurs are hes first choice?! Unless they loose Mido, Defoe hes not going to get alot of games. Unless he likes competition for places to improve hes game?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tom_cafc[/cite]What I don't understand is why spurs are hes first choice?! Unless they loose Mido, Defoe hes not going to get alot of games. Unless he likes competition for places to improve hes game?
    Berbatov and Bent upfront with Keane playing just behind.

Thats a bloody potent attack
  • Options
    the funniest thing is that so many spurs fans don't rate Benty and think if they pay over £8 mill they've been ripped off. we obviously know how good he is but when you look at Smith going to newcastle for around £4 mill you can see why they are dubious about the fee.
  • Options
    But robbie keane won't play in behind how many times last season did Jol just play 2 strikers leaving Defoe and Mido out?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]the funniest thing is that so many spurs fans don't rate Benty and think if they pay over £8 mill they've been ripped off. we obviously know how good he is but when you look at Smith going to newcastle for around £4 mill you can see why they are dubious about the fee.
    i don't see why they are. Smith has never been a true goalscorer i dont think whereas Darren is, in the Championship, in the cup, in the premier league and at u21 level. he is only 23 and has scored more premier league goals in two years than Henry, Rooney, Drogba whilst playing in a cruddy team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: tom_cafc[/cite]What I don't understand is why spurs are hes first choice?! Unless they loose Mido, Defoe hes not going to get alot of games. Unless he likes competition for places to improve hes game?

Spurs are his preferred choice because he wants to stay in London and they will probably sell Defoe. The only other real possibility are Liverpool and Benitez changes his team every week so he'd get even less chance there. Being first choice probably isn't bothering him or he would've gone to West ham.
  • Options
    I would hate to see Bent goto Spurs, i hate spurs. Would he really wear that ugly top?

Would love to see him at Arsenal though...
  • Options
    am i there only one who actually thought West Ham were the best fit for him at this current stage ?

Top money, guaranteed starting place in a team likely to be on the up, no need to relocate, working with staff you know......
  • Options
    He's way too good for West Ham!
  • Options
    he want Europe though, we will accept 16m assuming it a legit offer, no gardener though please..
  • Options
    I one word......'Yes'
  • Options
    But yes to what, Cricket? Europe? No Gardener? Or simply the offer?
  • Options
    To the offer Weegie
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]To the offer Weegie

Thank you. And glad to see you're getting used to your new username...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]am i there only one who actually thought West Ham were the best fit for him at this current stage ?

Top money, guaranteed starting place in a team likely to be on the up, no need to relocate, working with staff you know......

No, I thought so as well. I wonder what scared him off? I don't think it would be Curbs, it isn't lack of ambition given the Icelandic wonga available. Perhaps he's mates with Reo-Coker and one or two others who have fed him some "home truth" stuff?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think as reported Spurs managed to get word to his agent just in time that they were seriously interested. They are a safer bet footballing wise and already in Europe.
  • Options
    interesting to know who the 'figure at charlton' is. It certainly doesn't sound like any of the known head figures...
  • Options
    I thought West Ham was nailed on, defo, FACT, bang to rights....Spurs will stitch us up and get him on the cheap.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]interesting to know who the 'figure at charlton' is. It certainly doesn't sound like any of the known head figures...

What do you mean by 'figure at Charlton'? What's been said?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]interesting to know who the 'figure at charlton' is. It certainly doesn't sound like any of the known head figures...

What do you mean by 'figure at Charlton'? What's been said?
    Take a look at the article link - all explained
  • Options
    ........One figure at Charlton said he believed the deal would be profitable for Tottenham in the long run. "The main reason we think Darren has such a high value is because he has just turned 23," said the Charlton source. "In four years' time do you think for one minute transfer fees will have gone down with all the TV money coming in? He will be 27 and one of the top English centre-forwards. He's going to be worth at least £20m.

"Basically we see it as a free deal for somebody. OK, there is a cashflow implication but they will profit. If you buy Michael Owen at 27 - £9m transfer fee, £120,000-a-week - you've got to write that all off because in four years' time he'll be 31 and nearing the end of his career. It's a good deal and, once it's happened, in a year's time it will look cheap."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]........One figure at Charlton said he believed the deal would be profitable for Tottenham in the long run. "The main reason we think Darren has such a high value is because he has just turned 23," said the Charlton source. "In four years' time do you think for one minute transfer fees will have gone down with all the TV money coming in? He will be 27 and one of the top English centre-forwards. He's going to be worth at least £20m.

"Basically we see it as a free deal for somebody. OK, there is a cashflow implication but they will profit. If you buy Michael Owen at 27 - £9m transfer fee, £120,000-a-week - you've got to write that all off because in four years' time he'll be 31 and nearing the end of his career. It's a good deal and, once it's happened, in a year's time it will look cheap."

Maybe Charlton Life should buy him, lease him out to a club for a year or two and then sell him on at a profit?

Third Party ownership? Undue outside influence? Get out here! How can that be illegal?
  • Options
    I know we managed to raise £20K for Demelza, but £16M might be a bit of a stretch, Henry, unless Mr Ooh Aah Mortimer has even deeper pockets than we realise...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]am i there only one who actually thought West Ham were the best fit for him at this current stage ?

Top money, guaranteed starting place in a team likely to be on the up, no need to relocate, working with staff you know......[/quote]

Spurs can offer him UEFA cup football, and have pressed Arsenal the last couple of seasons for a CL place and are higher profile than West Ham. West Ham can't offer him European football next season and most likely won't be in a position to challenge for a UEFA spot for at least one/two seasons and maybe longer and I can't see with that squad that they are going to get anywhere near the CL places.

Spurs will sell at least one of Mido and Defoe, if not both and are a better run club. A shame we can't extract the same money out of Spurs that West Ham were offering and DB himself looks like he's happy to settle for lower wages, but that's all relative, £50K a week still makes him a rich player, just that £75K makes him even richer. He might get more starts at West Ham, but Spurs are a step or two ahead of them as a team, this looks a wise decision by Darren.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I know we managed to raise £20K for Demelza, but £16M might be a bit of a stretch, Henry, unless Mr Ooh Aah Mortimer has even deeper pockets than we realise...

If you lot could raise £15mill then I'd stump up the extra. Can't say fairer than that!