Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Solly interview in the Metro

Comments

• He didn't have the best of games against Oxford, but he is a solid right back whilst not being as good as he was. What we have to remember in relation to the Oxford match is that both Djiksteel and Solly are right backs and one had to play left back. Most of us would have chosen Solly to play there. It isn't his position but he has shown he is the more likely to be able to do a job there. That is a positive in my books. 
  • Top pro. Sadly presumably due to the knee issues, he's not the player he was. A decent RB still but not a stand out performer anymore.
  • 2184 DAYS without goal?
  • Love solly real Charlton man. 
  • edited April 2019
    Excluding winning the play off final, my highlight of the season has to be Solly goal at Luton. I didn’t go to Blackpool or Orient so until then I hadn’t seen him score and I never I thought I would see Solly name on the scoresheet.

He’s only 28 so he’s still got plenty of time to make plenty of more appearances. Isn’t he only three appearances of 300 for Charlton? It would have been nice to have his 300 appearance at Wembley.

Jackson and Solly will always be legends in my eyes for staying around during the RD era and not leaving a basket club. 

• Solly is a diamond .. IF IF Bowyer goes, he would be my choice as manager (BUT let's hope fervently that it doesn't come to that)
  • Sponsored links:

• Solly is a diamond .. IF IF Bowyer goes, he would be my choice as manager (BUT let's hope fervently that it doesn't come to that)
    Solly as Manager, huh?
    A long way off being a manager, not aware he's done any badges either

I'm not sure he comes over to me as a manager type anyway
  • Never scored at the Valley has he?

2nd leg would be a good time for the first

Lee Bowyer was somebody I never thought would be a football mananger, let alone a manager as good as he is.
  • Jacko would make a good manager
  • Tracking the 2007 England U16 team Chris Solly played in there are some interesting names in that team.

England: 1 Wesley Foderingham (Fulham) (13 Declan Rudd (Norwich City) 40), 2 Chris Solly (Charlton Athletic) (14 Adam Smith (Tottenham Hotspur) 40), 3 Ben Gordon (Leeds United), 4 Oliver Norwood (Manchester United) (15 John Bostock (Crystal Palace) 48), 5 Kyle Bartley (Bolton Wanderers) (12 Jack Rodwell (Everton) 40), 6 Thomas Cruise (Arsenal), 7 Matthew James (Manchester United), 8 Dean Parrett (Tottenham Hotspur), 9 Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa) (Adam Phillip (Chelsea) 73), 10 Harry Forrester (Watford) (16 Jacob Mellis (Sheffield United) 61), 11 Nicky Ajose (Manchester United) (18 Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur) 61)
  • edited April 2019
    I think with managers, the proof of pudding is in the eating. Badges are a side issue and largely unimportant in terms of managerial ability, even if they have to have them. It is impossible to predict who will be a good manager, and a manager might be good in one situation and might not be good in another. Some may be better suited to managing with money and some on a budget. Some may be tactical geniuses and some may be great squad builders and if you are lucky they may be both. Some may be suited to international management more than club management - Southgate for instance.

If it was easy to find a great manager, everybody would be doing it and you wouldn't have the likes of Slade having the career he has had. Getting job after job and never getting a club promoted. So when you find one, like Curbs or Bowyer, you appreciate the luck involved and you keep them happy. And in return they bring you success. 
  • Sark99 said:
    Tracking the 2007 England U16 team Chris Solly played in there are some interesting names in that team.

England: 1 Wesley Foderingham (Fulham) (13 Declan Rudd (Norwich City) 40), 2 Chris Solly (Charlton Athletic) (14 Adam Smith (Tottenham Hotspur) 40), 3 Ben Gordon (Leeds United), 4 Oliver Norwood (Manchester United) (15 John Bostock (Crystal Palace) 48), 5 Kyle Bartley (Bolton Wanderers) (12 Jack Rodwell (Everton) 40), 6 Thomas Cruise (Arsenal), 7 Matthew James (Manchester United), 8 Dean Parrett (Tottenham Hotspur), 9 Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa) (Adam Phillip (Chelsea) 73), 10 Harry Forrester (Watford) (16 Jacob Mellis (Sheffield United) 61), 11 Nicky Ajose (Manchester United) (18 Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur) 61)
    Of those only Smith and Townsend are PL regulars. Weird how Cruise got lots of youth caps yet ended up at Torquay United before retiring to become an accountant!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cruise_(footballer)
  • Interested to see Nicky Ajose & Declan Rudd in that team.
  • Sark99 said:
    Tracking the 2007 England U16 team Chris Solly played in there are some interesting names in that team.

England: 1 Wesley Foderingham (Fulham) (13 Declan Rudd (Norwich City) 40), 2 Chris Solly (Charlton Athletic) (14 Adam Smith (Tottenham Hotspur) 40), 3 Ben Gordon (Leeds United), 4 Oliver Norwood (Manchester United) (15 John Bostock (Crystal Palace) 48), 5 Kyle Bartley (Bolton Wanderers) (12 Jack Rodwell (Everton) 40), 6 Thomas Cruise (Arsenal), 7 Matthew James (Manchester United), 8 Dean Parrett (Tottenham Hotspur), 9 Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa) (Adam Phillip (Chelsea) 73), 10 Harry Forrester (Watford) (16 Jacob Mellis (Sheffield United) 61), 11 Nicky Ajose (Manchester United) (18 Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur) 61)
    Bostock and Rodwell were expected to hit the big time but didn't, though Rodwell made a fortune despite watching more matches than he played.
    Not a vintage crop of England u16, but most of them have had decent careers even if not in the top division, bar Townsend and Adam Smith who became premier players.
  • Sponsored links:

A long way off being a manager, not aware he's done any badgers either

It's a curiously low bar Duchatelet has set for the Charlton job during his tenure.
    Don’t be stupid, why would we want our 28 year old right back to quit and become manager. He still has a couple of seasons in him and miles off being ready for a managerial role. 

I believe Solly has the same badges as Jacko. I think they have always gone on the same courses.
  • Sark99 said:

Nicky Ajose (Manchester United)
    *SHUDDERS*

you do realise he's only 28?

the man has got another ten years with us to go before thinking about management.
  • good piece. I was reading todays Times sport section and I have to say the free Metro on a Friday often does a better job, unless of course you support one of the top 6.
  • edited April 2019
    Any coverage at all is not to be sniffed at. But it’s a fairly standard football piece really - the sort of stuff papers run all the time (about other clubs players) and doesn’t really say much.

However, it does read to me as though there’s a bit of an undertone of “remember Charlton and all the trouble they had? Well they’re in the play offs now and everything is just fine and dandy”.

hmmm .....
  • Off_it said:
    Any coverage at all is not to be sniffed at. But it’s a fairly standard football piece really - the sort of stuff papers run all the time (about other clubs players) and doesn’t really say much.

However, it does read to me as though there’s a bit of an undertone of “remember Charlton and all the trouble they had? Well they’re in the play offs now and everything is just fine and dandy”.

hmmm .....

yeah have to agree. the interview and the coverage are good but those opening 2 paragraphs gave me that same feeling. it gives the impression that we are fickle, (well we can be but I feel on this subject we're 98% consistent) there is hardly a thread on here or a piece in the Voice or a conversation over Charlton with mates that we don't mention are ill feeling towards the owner and what he has done.

the piece should of said something along the lines of the players and the coaching staff have stepped up and got into the play offs in spite of the owner's continued mismanagement to at least give the long suffering fans something to be proud about.