Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the greatest rock bock ever written...

Wonderland avenue by danny sugarman

all about jim morrison and iggy pop...... very intoxicating if read as a teenager...could change the direction of your life..

Comments

• Options
    That's a tough one. I agree Wonderland Avenue is excellent.

I also recommend:
    - Passion is a Fashion (The Clash) by Pat Gilbert
    - No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs - John Lydon
    - 24 Hour Party People - Tony Wilson
    - Margrave of the Marshes - John Peel
    - The Story of the Pogues - Carol Clerk
    - The Boy looked at Johnny - Julie Burchill and Tony Parsons
    - England's Dreaming - Jon Savage
    - Manchester England - Dave Haslam
    - Altered State (Acid House) - Matthew Collin
    - All the Young Dudes (Mott the Hoople) - Campbell Devine
    - Green Suede Shoes - Larry Kirwan

But my favourite is - Redemption Song (Joe Strummer) - Chris Salewicz
  • Options
    What a list Stonemuse, Only read the John Peel and the Parsons/Burchill book so will have to dig out some of those especially the Clash books.

Mine

Lost in Music - Giles Smith about growing up with music in the 70s/80s very funny
    The newish Tony Parsons book about 1977 fictional telling of his time with the NME -Can't remember the name.
    Diary of a Rock and Roll Star - Ian Hunter The reality of life on the road
    High Fidelity - Nick Hornby Just very funny and insightful. Any muso will recognise themself
    Rock Dreams- Nik Cohn Iconic images of rock greats
    Turn off your mind - Gary Lachman The dark side of the 60's mysticism to Manson from the Blondie Guiarist.
  • Options
    Diary of a Rock and Roll Star - Ian Hunter The reality of life on the road

Brilliant book - I had forgotten that one - must be in my loft somewhere, will have to dig it out.

On the subject of the Clash, 2 other good ones: Return of the Last Gang in Town - Marcus Gray, and A Riot of our own, Johnny Green.
  • Options
    The Tony Parsons one is called Stories We Could Tell. I read it holiday last year. Enjoyed it. I have purchased Lostin Music for this year plus a couple of Stuart Maconie books. Also on a different subject I have bought Grovel an account of the West Indies tour of England in 1976. I only really read on holiday and usually get through 6 or 7 books, nothing heavy.
  • Options
    I'll have to look out for the Tony Parsons one - sounds good.
  • Options
    Would also recommend 'Needs Must' by Kris Needs
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]...plus a couple of Stuart Maconie books.

Cider with Roadies is great fun
  • Options
    Stories we could tell. Good fun trying to work out which charecters are which real journos and bands from the time. Julie Burchill, Iggy, Souixsee etc.

Lost my copy of Diary of a rock and roll star. haven't read it for year.

hotel California - Barney Hoskins is good if you like CSNY, Joni, Jackson etc, etc

Chirpy what are the Stuart Maconie books? I need to build up my holiday reading stock as well. Taking My father and other working class heroes. Read the first chapter. So well written and frustrating to wait until August.
  • Options
    As mentioned above Cider With Roadies and his latest one Pies and Prejudice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]As mentioned above Cider With Roadies and his latest one Pies and Prejudice.

I'll see if they are in the 3 for 2 section yet. ; - )