Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No more Champagne at FA Cup final

Comments

• More sensible choice would be to have two options

The first for those who see it as being against their religious beliefs

The second option for those who dont have issue with it and get a choice if they want Champagne or not
  • The proper tradition was pints of milk.
  • Just use the bubbly non alcoholic stuff they give at the Bahrain and UAE GP's
  • edited April 2019
    understand it, the bundesliga celebration are usually huge steins boateng threw one over ribery and he got very upset. 

understandable of course. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Just use the bubbly non alcoholic stuff they give at the Bahrain and UAE GP's
    That stuff is carbonated rose water. When I saw the thread I thought they might have changed it to Prosecco! It seems to have taken over from Champagne in this country.
  • iainment said:
    The proper tradition was pints of milk.
    I'm sure that will still upset someone. 
  • the cynic in me thinks this is about not upsetting the sponsors rather than the players. 

wouldn't be surprised if it was brought up when it was renewed and rather than announcing it as soon as it was signed they agreed to do it by a certain time.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    We're a secular country, ridiculous to pander to archaic religious beliefs. 
    Is it pandering or is it inclusivity? I'd lean toward the latter.
    If that were the case then surely a best of all worlds option would be taken?
  • But is anyone really offended by players being awarded alcohol? 
  • iainment said:
    The proper tradition was pints of milk.
    I'm sure that will still upset someone. 

I can think of a couple on CL in particular - unless it was coconut or almond milk!

#nutshavefeelingstoo

• Does anyone actually give a f#$$.

• all the faux outrage
  • edited April 2019
    Rothko said:
    all the faux outrage
    Where?

Edit...assume you mean in the article and comments on mail website rather than on this thread...the daily mail exists on punting and generating  faux outrage! 
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

It's tradition, get over it. Just read a story that a Scottish maritime museum is changing all its descriptive signage on its exhibits as some moronic visitor vandalised them by scratching out the word 'she' hwne a ship was mentioned. For hundreds of years ships have been described as female. "God bless all who sail in her" etc. Why not install CCTV (in which case the perpetrator could have been identified and prosecuted)? Or even cover the signage with plastic for a fraction of the price? This country is fast becoming a laughing stock.
  • PaddyP17 said:

'Inclusivity' a word that raises my hackles. For me all are welcome into the great footballing family, but like any 'club' if you don't like the harmless traditions enjoyed by millions -  feel free to leave.
  • understand it, the bundesliga celebration are usually huge steins boateng threw one over ribery and he got very upset. 

understandable of course. 
    It was a stein full of piss to be fair. 
  • edited April 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    This victim mentality pisses me off. 

If you don't want the champagne, don't take the champagne. Or in advance make the organisers aware of your beliefs so they can give you a non-alcoholic version. 

Champagne has been and always will be a celebratory beverage even if it tastes vile.
  • "The FA will instead put a case of an alcohol-free champagne substitute in the winning dressing room so players can replicate those spraying celebrations.

The FA's decision is not believed to have been the result of complaints from teams or players in the past but prompted within the organisation.

Sportsmail understands the FA had considered implementing the change sooner but were fully aware of being branded 'party-poopers'."

• edited April 2019

"The FA will instead put a case of an alcohol-free champagne substitute in the winning dressing room so players can replicate those spraying celebrations.

The FA's decision is not believed to have been the result of complaints from teams or players in the past but prompted within the organisation.

Sportsmail understands the FA had considered implementing the change sooner but were fully aware of being branded 'party-poopers'."

Perfect. Hopefully the clubs will supply a boozy version for their players that would prefer that. 

It's not like anyone will drop the cup off the bus...

Image result for dropped cup gif bus

• by 'non alcoholic' champagne do they mean lemonade?