Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Billy Mcneill RIP

Former Celtic captain and manager Billy McNeill - the first British man to lift the European Cup - has died aged 79.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41685748

Comments

• I remember him raising the European Cup so clearly.
    Great one club man.
  • 800+ games for Celtic and 29 caps for Scotland

RIP Billy
  • RIP Billy 
  • Sponsored links:

• Such a huge figure in Celtic, and British football history.

Will we ever see his like again?

RIP big man
  • RIP Billy

Fact, every member, except one, of the 15 man squad for the 1967 European Cup Final was born within 10 miles of Celtic Park.
    The exception was Bobby Lennox who was born 30 miles away.
  • RIP to a Celtic legend..
  • edited April 2019
    Billy first came to my attention in 1961. My friend at school David McNeill was full of it that in that year's England v Scotland Under 23 game, both sides were captained by a McNeill, rather England's skipper was Mick McNeil, with the missing 'L'.

Billy was a giant of Scots football both as player and manager. He had a distinction which will stand forever, the first captain of a British (not to say Scottish) team to win the European Cup, now the Champions League of course 

R I P Billy

• RIP Cesar
  • Manager at Aberdeen for a season in the 70's. Finished runners-up in League and Cup. RIP Billy.

RIP Billy
    Genuine question, but how on earth did he play that many times for Celtic yet play an average of less than twice a year for Scotland?

Given his Celtic appearance tally, he obviously wasn't injured much, so was he just not bothered about the national side?
  • Sponsored links:

RIP Billy
    Genuine question, but how on earth did he play that many times for Celtic yet play an average of less than twice a year for Scotland?

Given his Celtic appearance tally, he obviously wasn't injured much, so was he just not bothered about the national side?
    that's what happens when your international debut is a 9-3 defeat to the auld enemy !

although they played together for Scotland, i think John Greig (Rangers) was preferred in a very similar role.

RIP Billy

There were far fewer international games then, especially as Scotland did not qualify for the world cup during his time and the Euros were much smaller.

I certainly don't think it is fair to say " he was just not bothered".

• He was a fine player.

RIP
  • A giant of the Scottish game - RIP
  • A Celtic legend. Sleep well Billy.