Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When did you last write a letter?

I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter. 

I have been watching a documentary series, in which one of the featured subjects came to a sticky end, thanks to the discovery of seventy letters she wrote. But I cannot even remember the last time I put pen to paper (or fired off a missive via typewriter) and sent it, in an envelope.  Thirty years ago, it was the most common way to sent written correspondence.  Now, I never write letters.  

When did you last write one? 

Comments

• Options
    Erm
  • Options
    I’ve written a few to you. Did you not receive them?
  • Options
    I type a few out every week, then print them off & send them......to clients or providers. 
  • Options
    Last hand written one was probably a love letter / final goodbye letter. Less than 5 years ago. 
  • Options
    Three weeks ago. And last week. But I take your point, it’s a rare event nowadays.
  • Options
    Every week at work. Outside of work....I’m not sure I ever have. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Last Tuesday. Albeit to somebody elderly who has never been involved with modern technology. It's still good to receive letters tho'. **Edit - I also find letters of complaint to companies hit the spot better than trying to negotiate your way through websites and chat lines where you don't actually speak to a human being.
  • Options
    clb74 said: 
    Jimmy Saville, 1982,
    I hope it wasn't to meet Michael jackson
    No.....
    Gary Glitter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    10 years ago.  A bluey to my mum when I was in Afghanistan.
  • Options
    About a month ago handwritten to my MP.
  • Options
    My handwriting is bad, apparently, so if I were to write a letter I’d do it on the PC and print and post it. Can’t remember the last time I even did that seeing as most is send by email these days.

last letter was probably five years ago to my Aunt in Oz. That’s stopped now as we Skype/Messenger now.
  • Options
    Spray paint, rather than letters tends to get the message across quicker to the recipient in my opinion. 
  • Options
    She won’t write a letter, though I always tell her
  • Options
    On a computer? Last week.
    Written by hand on paper? I really don't know. I would guess a few years unless you count a note to the wife such 'I have fed the dogs' (with two kisses, of course).
  • Options
    Jimmy Saville, 1982,
    Did he 'Fix It' for you AFKA?  :o
  • Options
    define 'a letter' …. I very often write 'informal' and 'chatty' emails to family and friends. At one time these would have been hand written/typed and posted. Same facility, different means of delivery.
    From time to time I have to write/type business letters. These are almost invariably sent by conventional mail. I also send Christmas and birthday cards via Royal Mail 

• Options
    define 'a letter' …. I very often write 'informal' and 'chatty' emails to family and friends. At one time these would have been hand written/typed and posted. Same facility, different means of delivery.
    From time to time I have to write/type business letters. These are almost invariably sent by conventional mail. I also send Christmas and birthday cards via Royal Mail 

A written or typed missive, on paper, sent through a postal service to an individual recipient, a group, an organisation, governing or representative body or company, pertaining to a matter of common interest. 

Not an email. 
  • Options
    My resignation to my previous/last employer stating I was quitting to retire and wanted to leave at the end of period of sick leave. (Two weeks) They replied telling me my required period of notice was a month, so I replied giving a months notice and sent a certificate for a further four weeks sick leave. We can all play the system 😂😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty much most weeks for work purposes.
  • Options
    Work letters.

HMRC don't allow emails until a matter becomes ongoing as one example.
  • Options
    I hand write letters fairly regularly to my father. He lives on the isle of Lewis and doesn't have a phone. With the exception of visting him, it's the only way I can contact him.
  • Options
    Jimmy Saville, 1982,
    Did you him to fix it for you so you could walk like John Wayne?
  • Options
    Jimmy Saville, 1982,

• Options
    Norwich.
  • Options
    The last letter I wrote was to Santa Claus.

Five years ago.
  • Options
    Er approx 1995.  Letter written to my girlfriend at the time from our lads holiday in Magaluf.

19yr old JohnBoy was far too wet behind the ears and never expected all the lads to read the contents too.

Tend to write all official correspondence by email now.  Dont tend to handwrite anything now apart from cards.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    When I did my MSc in the late 90’s, I struggled with actually writing as it was so long that done any writing, the 3hr exams were torture.
  • Options
    When I did my MSc in the late 90’s, I struggled with actually writing as it was so long that Donne any writing, the 3hr exams were torture.
    Typing's still not 100% though... 

:wink: