Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Professional Footballers to boycott social media

Professional footballers in England and Wales are to boycott social media for 24 hours on Friday, to protest against the way social networks and football authorities respond to racism.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47982403

Comments

• A whole 24 hours? Ballsy. 
  • How on earth am I expected to keep up with Shay Given's thoughts on our takeover :-(

Too busy having dinner
  • I’m gutted, what am I going to read Friday night and all day Saturday?

May be if they refused all interviews for tv/radio for 24 days it might have an effect.
  • What a load of tosh....
  • I think they should block all media interview too...

Social Media is only a small part, a lot of people wont even realise that some Footballers even use Twitter etc.

• May be if they refused all interviews for tv/radio for 24 days it might have an effect.
    It would certainly put Sky Sports nose out of joint!
    Then there's the added blessing of not having to squirm through "massive" " 3 points" " hard work on the training pitch" for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• A Day .  Why so short ? Do it for a week or two . That would have more of an impact plus it would bugger Sky Sports News up because that would half their content! 

Social Media is only a small part, a lot of people wont even realise that some Footballers even use Twitter etc.
    Maybe that is the next step.

Players like Lyle Taylor are being racially abused on twitter and Instagram.

Players like Lyle Taylor want the platforms to do more so just boycotting social media makes sense.
  • Good initiative, though don't the social media platforms shut down the accounts of those users who are racially abusive? 

Particularly Karl Robinson ones 
  • edited April 2019
    Anyone getting abuse on social media is out of order imo, I hate it, wish it had never been invented.
  • I think it’s a good idea, but 24 hours? Meh. 

Boycott Twitter and Insta until something happens. Until the authorities change something. 

Also, what precisely do they want them to change? Wouldn’t it be helpful if they made a specific demand? 
  • The boycott began at 9am today already seen loads of players post this.

• Personally dont see the authorities caring about a 24 hour boycott of social media

Now a weeks media boycott from all players and managers might be something to consider

How will newspaper and websites fill pages with no interviews, maybe that will make authorities take notice
  • Well done the players and PFA for standing up against racism.

Not sure why some posters are being so dismissive.

Social media is very powerful and influential. Boycotting it sends a message on an important issue.

And if it's good enough for Morts

Whilst I agree a message needs sending I do think this action is a bit short of what they could have done, maybe a tad longer? Not wishing to mock their actions too much but giving social media for 24 hours does, to me, come across as a bit lame. Why not extend the boycott to all media  for 24 hours ? 
    Maybe this is a start and they can gradually increase actions but this protest to a very serious matter doesn’t go far enough for me.
  • It's a start: the people organising this will need to bring everyone along and build their confidence. In some of the social media I come across I think there's an increasingly militant attitude from some of the affected players, notably Raheem Sterling, Danny Rose but also our own Lyle Taylor. They have quite rightly decided not to put up with this any more. 

I think they're likely to get some response from social media companies just because of the sort of people doing this and the fact that the likes of Facebook, Instagram etc are under pressure over fake news and lack of response to racism. Will it be enough - I expect that there will have to be more action and the racists either consider their actions or be booted off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019
    It's a start, they are publicising and so raising awareness of the issue.

24 hours is actually a long time in social media terms. Look at the melt downs on this form of social media when notes from meetings don't appear with minutes, let alone hours.

Maybe the time to evaluate and judge is after, not before.
  • Even David Beckhams done it though not sure how he'll cope without advertising something for 24 hours
  • He will probably just post the anti/racism page once every 10 minutes. 

Which i I wrote thinking it would be rubbish but now I’ve written aI realise it probably wouldn’t be. 
  • Social media is a platform for morons - I'm not sure what people expect?
    The irony of posting that on social media
    Speak for yourself.
  • Good timing for our players as it happens after that result...
  • Paul Mortimer and Luther Blissett were on TV this morning discussing racism. Dont usually watch tv in the morning its just on in the background as habit but when a Legend is on i had to listen. They were discussing the idea of a 9pt deduction for teams  whose fans are found guilty of rascist abuse
  • Is that per game? Some teams will finish on a minus total.