Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    In a crunch game, I dare say you want all your best players on the field. There HAS to be a way to incorporate Sarr, Pearce and Bauer in the side without losing our shape
  • Options
    I mean, you could try

Phillips

Solly/Dijksteel - Bauer - Pearce - Sarr - Purrington

Williams - Cullen - Aribo

Taylor - Vetokele

Horribly harsh on Bielik though, who should be a shoo-in. And those aren't wing-backs, are they? Alternatively, there's the 'who needs fullbacks' option

Phillips

Bauer - Pearce - Sarr

Bielik

Williams - Cullen - Reeves

Aribo

Taylor - Vetokele

Hmm. Somehow the attacking balance of the side is compromised with 3 at the back.

Alternatively, Sarr could play pretty much anywhere...

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    I mean, you could try

Phillips

Solly/Dijksteel - Bauer - Pearce - Sarr - Purrington

Williams - Cullen - Aribo

Taylor - Vetokele

Horribly harsh on Bielik though, who should be a shoo-in. And those aren't wing-backs, are they? Alternatively, there's the 'who needs fullbacks' option

Phillips

Bauer - Pearce - Sarr

Bielik

Williams - Cullen - Reeves

Aribo

Taylor - Vetokele

Hmm. Somehow the attacking balance of the side is compromised with 3 at the back.

Alternatively, Sarr could play pretty much anywhere...

I disagree - it’s a straight choice between Sarr and Pearce.  
    They should have a fight then ! 
    Sarr and Pearce that is ... 
  • Options
    I dont rate Purrington's ability to cover that left flank as a Wing Back for us to play three at the back; ideally you need someone with pace like Page to play that formation
  • Options
    I love Naby as a character and think he has come on leaps and bounds, and I have much lesser doubts on his weaknesses than I did even six months ago.

but ultimately if it come down to a crunch straight choice for a game that really mattered  I’d choose Pearce. And I suspect Bowyer will as well.
    Thats how I see it too
  • Options
    Easy problem to solve

Drop Sarr
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It isn't a bad problem to have. We have three (or four) of the best CHs in League One. I'm saying that footballing ability should be the tie-breaker
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    It isn't a bad problem to have. We have three (or four) of the best CHs in League One. I'm saying that footballing ability should be the tie-breaker
    Fosu has as much footballing ability as any of our midfield .
    Can't even get on the bench and rightly so. 
  • Options
    Changing shape and tactics at this stage of the season would ludicrous. The players have spent 9 months playing this system. Straight choice but great choice to have. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dropping a player who's been consistently in our top 3 or 4 performers is absolutely ludicrous IMO. 
    Not if it’s for a player who will be in our top 2 or 3 performers once back in the team.

It’s harsh on Sarr but when you have more than 11 players in your squad you will have to make tough decisions. Completely changing the formation and style of the team with a few games left in the season to try and keep everyone happy is ludicrous.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Footballing ability
    Standard of the opposing Strikers
    Weather conditions

All three of those should be a factor in Lee Bowyer's decision

Bristol Rovers the other week must have been hell for the players and in that type of game you need a player who is used to that
  • Options
    I love Naby as a character and think he has come on leaps and bounds, and I have much lesser doubts on his weaknesses than I did even six months ago.

but ultimately if it come down to a crunch straight choice for a game that really mattered  I’d choose Pearce. And I suspect Bowyer will as well.
    What message does that sent to the players though? Shall we drop Phillips for Maxwell aswell? Because Sarr has been fantastic over the last couple of months and doesn't deserve to be dropped. 
  • Options
    The argument for Pearce is attacking, not defensive. He's got a bit more of a striker's positional instinct in the box. If a game threatens to be a horrible slog, that's handy. But we have the players to rip teams apart - Plan A should be that 
  • Options
    Drop Bauer then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Drop Bauer then?
    plays on the other side
  • Options
    Drop both of them.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Drop Bauer then?
    Thats obviously not going to happen as Bowyer has already sipulated he wants a Right footed CB and a Left footed one for the balance
  • Options
    All professional footballers know that it is about the points on the board.

Drop Sarr and still get 3 points Bowyer has made the right decision.

If we don't get 3 points then the inquests start.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    LenGlover said:
    All professional footballers know that it is about the points on the board.

Drop Sarr and still get 3 points Bowyer has made the right decision.

If we don't get 3 points then the inquests start.
    The last line has to depend on the position of the player

If a Goalkeeper or Defender is coming into the team then a defeat or score draw is when the inquest starts

Cant really blame those changes if they were to keep a clean sheet (i.e. Bristol Rovers) as its not their primary job to score
  • Options
    Dropping Bauer is the worst solution yet - not only right-sided but probably our best pure defender
  • Options
    Cant drop Sarr imo. Feel his from has been too good. Pearce is a better out and out defender but Sarr will bring more to the role than just defending and to be fair he is a GOOD defender. His ability to spray the ball or even carry it out is a big plus for me. 

Dont get me wrong if he was dropped for Pearce then thats a pretty bloody good replacement but on merit, Sarr for me all day long.
  • Options
    Pearce may not be the better defender of the two, but in every squad there is a player who sets the standard for effort, quality and putting your body on the line for the three points. For us it's Pearce. The next 5 games are cup finals. Pearce is the one who gets picked for me, if he can get an extra 5% out of the players when the going gets tough he's vitally important for us.
  • Options
    Pearce may not be the better defender of the two, but in every squad there is a player who sets the standard for effort, quality and putting your body on the line for the three points. For us it's Pearce. The next 5 games are cup finals. Pearce is the one who gets picked for me, if he can get an extra 5% out of the players when the going gets tough he's vitally important for us.
    Playing devils advocate (as think both deserve the place) - Portsmouth away is a perfect example of what you say about Pearce
  • Options
    I do agree with the point generally, but Sarr has been the one who has been a major part of a rock solid defence. 

Plus the next 5 games aren’t really cup finals, there all warm up games for the 2 or 3 big games coming up in May.