Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interesting Blog By Blackpool Supporter Worth A Read

edited April 2019 in General Charlton
I was curious to understand more about Blackpool's struggles under Oysten and how fans are responding to their likely sale. Being they are in the same league we are and have suffered protests and drops in attendances, I was curious to read blogs about how it feels to "have the club back again."
The article was worrisome. Essentially the writer says that although he was happy to go back for their first match post-Oysten, he has moved on and filled his time with other things since leaving in protest. He even mentions a match against CAFC as a "last straw."
He wants to cement his support because he feels the club needs him but he seems also to have other priorities in life. He is torn.
I wonder how many thousand Charlton fans might actually be in the same boat now, especially if the Roland era continues much longer. Several dynamics he discusses sound eerily familiar, such as this..
"What the Oyston family did was to seek to divide and rule over the fan base and force people in to drawing lines and to justify their support of the football club."
Also has one of the best single-sentence summaries of why to not own a club, and why to own one..
"You should never own a football club if you want to make lots of money but if you want to give a group of people a reason to believe, to bring them together, with a shared purpose and allow them to create wonderful memories which are shared with their loved ones, not just in this lifetime, but beyond. Then you should own a football club."
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    No. I don't give a shit about Blackpool.
  • Options
    I used to be a regular. Season ticket. Away games. Obsessed.

But now, I didn't realise Charlton were playing last night until this morning.

I have other weekend interests which football will have to compete with once Duchatelet goes.

I can see me going but picking and choosing games with maybe one game a month only.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I have other weekend interests which football will have to compete with once Duchatelet goes.

I can see me going but picking and choosing games with maybe one game a month only.

Perfectly understandable and logical perspective and we all know who to blame. I'm sure there are hundreds - if not thousands - in the same situation. Even if the Belgian assassin sells up and goes, it will take something special on the pitch to encourage lapsed fans such as yourself (and new ones), to come back. The future is looking very dark with every day this idiot controls the club.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Surely, flags should be reinstated when obscene words like this are espoused ?
  • Options
    I enjoyed reading that article from the Blackpool fan. Thanks for sharing Napaaddick.

I think a lot of us can identify with his feelings and when RD eventually goes many of us will have to face the same dilemmas. I have never experienced any disassociation with my club throughout the Duchatelet period but I have experienced a total disassociation with the owner. I know one day he will be gone but the club will still be there for me as it has always been. After all, my support for more than 60 plus years has never been about silverware but when that odd game comes along which lifts your spirit to levels you could not describe, Charlton has always been and will always be the club I follow. 
  • Options
    I enjoyed reading that article from the Blackpool fan. Thanks for sharing Napaaddick.

I think a lot of us can identify with his feelings and when RD eventually goes many of us will have to face the same dilemmas. I have never experienced any disassociation with my club throughout the Duchatelet period but I have experienced a total disassociation with the owner. I know one day he will be gone but the club will still be there for me as it has always been. After all, my support for more than 60 plus years has never been about silverware but when that odd game comes along which lifts your spirit to levels you could not describe, Charlton has always been and will always be the club I follow. 

I'm the same. The club MAY still be here when he finally goes, but at what level and in what state will it be?
  • Options
    addick05 said:

I'm the same. The club MAY still be here when he finally goes, but at what level and in what state will it be?
    Let’s hurry and find out.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    but for me, real fans retain core principles that allow them to step back at any point. Otherwise, fanaticism turns in to blind faith. Once the reason to believe has gone, then everything has gone.

Thats what stood out for me!
  • Options
    What will be will be.

Don't worry about it. The footballing world has changed and things might not seem and feel quite the same.

But Charlton will always be Charlton.

If you want to return to the valley after Roland sells the club, great.

If you don't feel emotionally connected to the club enough to want to return, then ok. That is simply just how it is.

In regards to this, just do what you want to do and go along with it. It is the only thing that works.

Look ahead. Don't look back.