Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New amateur football club - sponsorship ideas to buy kit

Hiya, 

Looking for ideas on how to gain some sponsorship/where to look/ask for a football club my mate is setting up and im gonna help out with.

Were pretty much guaranteed to take over quite a decent, well established mens team but want/will need new kits with our clubs crest on. Only starting with one mens team for now so only need 1 set of kit. Hoping once up and running properly to set up some kids teams too.

Just wondered if anyones dealt with this stuff before and had any advice which could help or if anyome knew of any grants we could get. 

Thanks in advance

Comments

• @northstandsteve is your man for kits mate. 

He'll probably know the ins and outs 
  • Not a sponsor but https://www.winstonsports.co.uk/ are an excellent supplier of kit and the owner is Charlton fan
  • Where is the team based?
  • It really is a case of contacting local businesses and seeing if they would help out, ask the players would the companies they work for sponsor, or do they own a business and would want to sponsor, they can claim vat back if registered.As said can give a competitive quote when you need to order.
  • Thanks ill pass the info on to my mate. Ive asked my boss about sponsorship. Hes going to talk it over with his brother and accountant but will try contacting people. 

Havent got a definite location yet but hoping to secure somewhere in the kidbrooke/eltham area

• Were pretty much guaranteed to take over quite a decent, well established mens team 
    You buying Roland out?
  • Agree with NSS, but I'd add that if you are the sort to go out for a drink or two after the match a local pub may be interested in sponsoring you in return for that being where you go back to etc.
  • @kidbrookeaddick How much sponsorship are you looking for? Just enough to buy kit or do you need more? From experience, you’re best looking internally and using contacts. 
  • _MrDick said:
    @kidbrookeaddick How much sponsorship are you looking for? Just enough to buy kit or do you need more? From experience, you’re best looking internally and using contacts. 
    100% this. A local business, garage, chip shop, pub etch is all you are talking about.
  • Just the kits at the moment. Think everything else is budgeted for just didnt have enough for kits. The team we are taking over never used to have a badge on their kit but for some reason they decided to get new kits this year with badges knowing they were gonna give up the running of the team. Odd
  • Sponsored links:

• Just the kits at the moment. Think everything else is budgeted for just didnt have enough for kits. The team we are taking over never used to have a badge on their kit but for some reason they decided to get new kits this year with badges knowing they were gonna give up the running of the team. Odd
    Buy a set of new badges and cover up the old ones. Would save a bit of money
  • Kidbrooke is getting a new pub, the Depot.  But since they are a Youngs pub and a large chain, they might not be interested.  

• One thing I've seen is one of those football cards but asking local businesses. So it's £20 a team and with 25 or so local businesses and then obviously a 1 in 25 chance for them to win. Seems quite popular when I've seen on twitter.
  • Discountfootballkits.com is worth a look. Cheapest shirt and shorts is £5 but limited colours and styles as you would expect. They do club badges as well.
  • edited April 2019
    You could just buy the shirts and get the players to supply their own black or white shorts and socks. 
  • You could just buy the shirts and get the players to supply their own black or white shorts and socks. 
    I agree, and would add that if you buy cheap kits you could get them to effectively buy their own kit by making sure a signing on fee covers it. Make the kit club property that has to be returned to club if leaving or registration not released so you build up stocks of spares.
  • 20 people donate their protest shirt.
  • Will you be holding trials? I've been looking to get back into the game - Played at a relatively good standard 2/3 years ago and would relish another chance to get my boots on!
  • Sponsored links:

• The Long Pond sponsor Eltham Town reserves who my eldest son is goalie for. Independent businesses are the best to approach.  
  • Curb_It said:
    Kidbrooke is getting a new pub, the Depot.  But since they are a Youngs pub and a large chain, they might not be interested.  

Great story.
  • Curb_It said:
    Kidbrooke is getting a new pub, the Depot.  But since they are a Youngs pub and a large chain, they might not be interested.  

I went to Thomas Tallis and it was originally going to be called Kidbrooke Depot ... but the Governors didn’t like it and got it changed to TT. True story 
  • I Set up and used to run a Sunday league team 15 odd years ago in Bromley.  We wrote to all the local restaurants for sponsorship and promised to have our Christmas and end of season do’s at their restaurant as we knew we would hold them so it didn’t matter too much to us where.

had a place in coney hall then a place in west wickham sponsor us and finally the tapas place in Bromley south.  

There is is nothing in it for other businesses I reckon as we had a garage at the end just because he was a mate of a mate but I doubt a single person went there because of our shirts.
  • I Set up and used to run a Sunday league team 15 odd years ago in Bromley.  We wrote to all the local restaurants for sponsorship and promised to have our Christmas and end of season do’s at their restaurant as we knew we would hold them so it didn’t matter too much to us where.

had a place in coney hall then a place in west wickham sponsor us and finally the tapas place in Bromley south.  

There is is nothing in it for other businesses I reckon as we had a garage at the end just because he was a mate of a mate but I doubt a single person went there because of our shirts.

You must've been absolutely stuffed full on those christmas and end of season dos by the 3rd restaurant that night.
  • I was involved in running our pub side and the level of organisational input needed was very draining and encompassing. 

Getting a sponsor is essential, so is getting signing on fees as @AFKABartram says. He also has some very useful advice about who to approach to sponsor you and how to raise funds because you will 100% need them. Pitch fees alone used to cause us all panic attacks every year, we were pretty lucky as it was a pub side we only once got sponsored by the pub however they could facilitate a lot of things such as strongbow one year buying us a full set of decent home and away kits with their logo on if the pub sold 500 pints of strongbow in a month. That was worth it. Getting subs out of everyone is crucial, don't let people run up debts and set them fairly. When I ran the reserves I wouldn't expect substitutes to pay, if they came on early I'd ask them to chuck a pound in but starters paid 3 or 4 quid and it was a nightmare getting that money out of them. We also committed to going to the pub after every game and God bless my reserves when I had them we did our bit and the landlady loved us and did food for us. Getting the kit washed and dried I think we paid a lady a tenner to do that but it needed someone to deliver it and remember to collect it which always seemed to fall on me, as did carrying all the other shit like corner flags, nets, medical stuff and balls as well as all the other paperworky stuff. You need cash to pay the referee for home games too which always seemed to fall on me to stump up and never see again. 

And look after the pubs or restaurants if you get one of them to sponsor you, commit to having a club do there at least at the end of the season and also during the season and pack it out. The more you get involved with them the more they will support you. We actually got sponsored by a curry house called boloka one year, fucking awful food and a worse name but the owner was great to us in terms of buying stuff but we had to get down there a couple of times a year with friends and family. 
  • edited April 2019
    I was out of pocket for probably 13 of those 18 years (possibly more) and some years to quite sizable amounts, but I never minded as I truly loved it so much and didn’t have kids at the time to prioritise. Some of my most favourite moments (non family) were connected to that team.

in hindsight should have been much more disciplined in dealing with shortfalls and would certainly be if doing it now.  
  • PopIcon said:
    Curb_It said:

Great story.
    Clearly Poplcon does not get on here much, all of Curb_it's story's involve pubs, alcohol and getting hammered  ;)
  • I was out of pocket for probably 13 of those 18 years (possibly more) and some years to quite sizable amounts, but I never minded as I truly loved it so much and didn’t have kids at the time to prioritise. Some of my most favourite moments (non family) were connected to that team.

in hindsight should have been much more disciplined in dealing with shortfalls and would certainly be if doing it now.  
    We were lucky for the first few years we had a couple who stumped up for a lot more than they would let on, they didn't have kids and did loads of the organising stuff and set up things like referees courses, first aid courses and sat on the KCFA board which I always found invaluable but a couple of short sighted idiots thought it was them social climbing which it absolutely wasn't. And when they eventually decided to get involved with a club closer to where they lived those same short sighted twonks started to wonder where all the money had gone. None of it had gone, it just didn't show up in accounts because they would pay it out of their own pockets and all of a sudden we had to find 600 plus for pitch fees and league registrations. 

I ended up picking up the reserves as I'd destroyed my knee and it kept me involved. So an element of the financial loss on my part I saw the same as you, cost of fun and being involved. In hindsight I feel not bitter but definitely like I learned a lesson.
  • Definitely do not let players run up debts.  That is a very good point.  I remember one lad running up about £100 to us at one point and no way was he going to pay, essentially told us as much.  fortunately we made it to a cup final so said no one was up for selection who owed and he finally, and begrudgingly paid us back, not surprisingly we dropped him anyway!