Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth v Charlton 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    And what a soft penalty that was.

Dhillon’s bouncing around and last minute feint caused that. It clearly was just enough to make the player taking the penalty to rethink what he was going to do - big mistake 
  • Options
    Looks like an OG to me but not clear. The Sky page credits Igor in the headline, but has OG in the match summary so they're hedging their bets!
  • Options
    Really good result. I am starting to believe. By "believe", it means, ever so coyly looking at my May diary, daring to look at the prices on the BA website. Sort of like 98. Not really like 98, but sort of

But while basking in the bath, I had a darker thought. If Karlan had not been sold... Duchatelet, you idiot, you absolute cock, you useless turd. 

We have to keep the pressure on him, even as we start to believe.
    On this we can truly agree
  • Options
    And what a soft penalty that was.

Dhillon’s bouncing around and last minute feint caused that. It clearly was just enough to make the player taking the penalty to rethink what he was going to do - big mistake 
    I meant the actual swan dive by their guy for the pen. Conned the ref good and proper.
  • Options
    panning out nicely now - fancy a final against  barnsley or doncaster - dont want sunderland or pompey at wembley so if we have to lets meet one of them in the semi's and get them out the way - its millwall's job go to wembley and lose, not ours   
  • Options
    So the majority give the ref low marks, yet other than not giving Sarr or Bauer 2 yellows what did he do wrong ? A clear penalty from watching it once on Quest.

Doesn't  sound like a James Linnington to me, who was very poor in the home games against Peterborough and Barnsley or Doncaster (the match when he bottled the foul on Grant early doors at the valley)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Not a single protest from our lads, it was a stonewaller
    He stuck out his leg and the Plymouth player took advantage of it. As you would I suppose. 

Lameriras was the best player on the pitch, and Carey also caught the eye. I found our first half performance pretty worrying, as we were completely outclassed at times.
     It’s great that we’ve got that winning habit though. Let’s hope we keep that up when it matters. 
  • Options
    So the majority give the ref low marks, yet other than not giving Sarr or Bauer 2 yellows what did he do wrong ? A clear penalty from watching it once on Quest.

Doesn't  sound like a James Linnington to me, who was very poor in the home games against Peterborough and Barnsley or Doncaster (the match when he bottled the foul on Grant early doors at the valley)
    Did you watch the match live, soapboxsam ? 

Of course, I'm bound to be biased but those 2 yellows were for their first offences, or possibly their second, with neither looking worth a card IMO. 

In fact, it appeared that he couldn't wait to dish out more to our lads whilst theirs were treated far more leniently. 

It wasn't a dirty game at all , but to view the amount of cards we ended up with would tell a different story to those merely perusing the stats. 

Nothing to do with the penalty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought the ref was fine.
    Ok he gave yellow cards that possibly others wouldn't, but at least he was consistent with the first yellow cards.
    I couldn't argue that any of them weren't yellows.
  • Options

Fantastic support today! Hope u all get home safe and see u on Tuesday, slightly closer to home!!! #LT9 #Addicks

• Options

Win + Clean Sheet + Away fans Lions Pack marching on #CAFC

• Options

Good 3 points away from home, thanks to the fans who made the long journey down, safe journeys back #CAFC

• Options

Nice to get back to @Only1Argyle today and see some old faces. Another great win and clean sheet! #cafc

• Options
    THANK YOU to all of today's traveling Addicks! Get home safely and we'll see you all at Wycombe on Tuesday night! #cafc

• Options
    The way Barnsley are sliding they could end up 4th or 5th.
    I think Sunderland will go up with Luton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Every week we are looking a little more like Chris Powell's promotion team.
    When you've all stopped laughing.
    I don't mean in overall ability, because this team is not as good.
    But I mean in the way that we have found the ability to keep games tight, keep clean sheets and win games.
    You sobered up yet, mate? ;-)

Na I am joking, I completely agree. We have the fantastic ability of keeping things tight and in control. We don’t ever look like we are going to score a shed load because we just aren’t clinical enough. But we also never look like conceding really either, and if we do, as said about we don’t concede more than one. Not at all this calendar year. In fact, we have only conceded two in a game (or more than one) in 3 of our last 28. That’s fantastic.
    Just doing a little more digging about our last 28 games. I’m focusing on that as that’s since we last lost at home, since the 8-0 win over Stevenage in the Checkatrade, and it was an international break. The first game of these 28 was Barnsley at home, where we won 2-0. There are specific games during the season we can always look back on and say that helped define our season, I think that’s one of them. Portsmouth home and away fall into that too. 

So it goes as follows:
    Played 28, Won 16, Drawn 7, Lost 5, Scored 39, Conceded 19, Points 55.

I believe this shows we are a very good side and the job Bowyer has done has been incredible. When you consider this period included missing Cullen, Vetokele, Aribo, and Pearce all for a while, we have been without Page the whole time, without Taylor for a handful of games due to suspensions, with changing our goalkeeper which can often cause disruption, so credit to Phillips even more, and we have kept 12 clean sheets in these 28 games too. And finally, with losing Grant part way through as well.

There have been a lot of key players missing throughout the course of these games, which is expected, but maybe not as many as we would’ve thought. Of course in that time we have had Sarr come in and be incredible, we have had Purrington help steady the back four too. But I think it shows just how good we can be. It’s just a shame the start of the season wasn’t as consistent, and we gave the rest of the league a mini head start.

If anyone was to say we don’t deserve to be where we are, if not a little higher, they’re wrong, plain and simple. So huge credit to Bows and the team, it’s exceptional all things considered that has happened in and around the club. 
    28 matches is also the last time that Luton lost a game, ironically against Barnsley, the team of which was our first game of the 28 I have been assessing.

Luton are one of two of the only teams in the league to have picked up more points than we have in these 28 games. Their record is unbelievable. Won 20 and drawn 8. They have scored an incredible 61 goals and whilst only conceding 16.

We both had +1 GD at the time, Luton had 19 points from 13 games. We had 17 points from 12 games. We were pretty much identical, both scored and conceded the same too. Since then, we have done well as I have wrote about above, but Luton have done ridiculously well.

When you look at the other promotion contenders last 28, and I'll include Doncaster too as they're likely to be 6th:

Barnsley
    Won 15, Drawn 9, Lost 4, Scored 42, Conceded 20, Points 54 - one point less than us.

Sunderland
    Won 16, Drawn 11, Lost 1, Scored 48, Conceded 23, Points 58 - three points more than us.

Portsmouth
    Won 14, Drawn 8, Lost 6, Scored 50, Conceded 33, Points 50 - five points less than us

Doncaster
    Won 12, Drawn 8, Lost 8, Scored 51, Conceded 37, Points 44 - eleven points less than us.

I've edited this to included Peterborough in case people were wondering about their last 28 and why I haven't included them before as the potential promotion contenders. So here it is:

Peterborough
    Won 10, Drawn 7, Lost 11, Scored 34, Conceded 35, Points 37 - eighteen points less than us; seven less than nearest rivals, Doncaster.

Therefore, if form carries on in the same way as it has been for the rest of the season, it would be wise to assume the final table will look something like:

1. Luton
    2. Sunderland
    --------------
    3. Barnsley
    4. Charlton
    5. Portsmouth
    6. Doncaster

What this also proves is that we have only scored 39 goals in our last 28 games, but also have only conceded 19, three more than Luton and one less than Barnsley.

Luton have scored 61, Doncaster 51, Portsmouth 50, Sunderland 48, and Barnsley only three more than us with 42.

That is the main difference for me as to why we are not top two. We just haven't scored anywhere near enough goals throughout the course of the season. But it is a huge credit to the team and the defence and goalkeepers especially for keeping things so tight and controlled. It sounds silly because it would be so obvious, but had we scored more goals, we would probably be right in that top two. But it doesn't always work out like that, hence why I am making the point. Doncaster have scored 12 more goals than us in that time, but they've also conceded 18 more too.

If I were to stick my neck out and on the line, as things currently stand, a play-off final between us and Barnsley seems the most likely.
    Good analysis, but looking at the more recent form guide Pompey are ahead of us for the last 6 games and just 1 point behind us over 10 games, so I can't see us catching them. Indeed I can see Barnsley slipping to 4th or even 5th

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england3
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Every week we are looking a little more like Chris Powell's promotion team.
    When you've all stopped laughing.
    I don't mean in overall ability, because this team is not as good.
    But I mean in the way that we have found the ability to keep games tight, keep clean sheets and win games.
    You sobered up yet, mate? ;-)

Na I am joking, I completely agree. We have the fantastic ability of keeping things tight and in control. We don’t ever look like we are going to score a shed load because we just aren’t clinical enough. But we also never look like conceding really either, and if we do, as said about we don’t concede more than one. Not at all this calendar year. In fact, we have only conceded two in a game (or more than one) in 3 of our last 28. That’s fantastic.
    Just doing a little more digging about our last 28 games. I’m focusing on that as that’s since we last lost at home, since the 8-0 win over Stevenage in the Checkatrade, and it was an international break. The first game of these 28 was Barnsley at home, where we won 2-0. There are specific games during the season we can always look back on and say that helped define our season, I think that’s one of them. Portsmouth home and away fall into that too. 

So it goes as follows:
    Played 28, Won 16, Drawn 7, Lost 5, Scored 39, Conceded 19, Points 55.

I believe this shows we are a very good side and the job Bowyer has done has been incredible. When you consider this period included missing Cullen, Vetokele, Aribo, and Pearce all for a while, we have been without Page the whole time, without Taylor for a handful of games due to suspensions, with changing our goalkeeper which can often cause disruption, so credit to Phillips even more, and we have kept 12 clean sheets in these 28 games too. And finally, with losing Grant part way through as well.

There have been a lot of key players missing throughout the course of these games, which is expected, but maybe not as many as we would’ve thought. Of course in that time we have had Sarr come in and be incredible, we have had Purrington help steady the back four too. But I think it shows just how good we can be. It’s just a shame the start of the season wasn’t as consistent, and we gave the rest of the league a mini head start.

If anyone was to say we don’t deserve to be where we are, if not a little higher, they’re wrong, plain and simple. So huge credit to Bows and the team, it’s exceptional all things considered that has happened in and around the club. 
    28 matches is also the last time that Luton lost a game, ironically against Barnsley, the team of which was our first game of the 28 I have been assessing.

Luton are one of two of the only teams in the league to have picked up more points than we have in these 28 games. Their record is unbelievable. Won 20 and drawn 8. They have scored an incredible 61 goals and whilst only conceding 16.

We both had +1 GD at the time, Luton had 19 points from 13 games. We had 17 points from 12 games. We were pretty much identical, both scored and conceded the same too. Since then, we have done well as I have wrote about above, but Luton have done ridiculously well.

When you look at the other promotion contenders last 28, and I'll include Doncaster too as they're likely to be 6th:

Barnsley
    Won 15, Drawn 9, Lost 4, Scored 42, Conceded 20, Points 54 - one point less than us.

Sunderland
    Won 16, Drawn 11, Lost 1, Scored 48, Conceded 23, Points 58 - three points more than us.

Portsmouth
    Won 14, Drawn 8, Lost 6, Scored 50, Conceded 33, Points 50 - five points less than us

Doncaster
    Won 12, Drawn 8, Lost 8, Scored 51, Conceded 37, Points 44 - eleven points less than us.

I've edited this to included Peterborough in case people were wondering about their last 28 and why I haven't included them before as the potential promotion contenders. So here it is:

Peterborough
    Won 10, Drawn 7, Lost 11, Scored 34, Conceded 35, Points 37 - eighteen points less than us; seven less than nearest rivals, Doncaster.

Therefore, if form carries on in the same way as it has been for the rest of the season, it would be wise to assume the final table will look something like:

1. Luton
    2. Sunderland
    --------------
    3. Barnsley
    4. Charlton
    5. Portsmouth
    6. Doncaster

What this also proves is that we have only scored 39 goals in our last 28 games, but also have only conceded 19, three more than Luton and one less than Barnsley.

Luton have scored 61, Doncaster 51, Portsmouth 50, Sunderland 48, and Barnsley only three more than us with 42.

That is the main difference for me as to why we are not top two. We just haven't scored anywhere near enough goals throughout the course of the season. But it is a huge credit to the team and the defence and goalkeepers especially for keeping things so tight and controlled. It sounds silly because it would be so obvious, but had we scored more goals, we would probably be right in that top two. But it doesn't always work out like that, hence why I am making the point. Doncaster have scored 12 more goals than us in that time, but they've also conceded 18 more too.

If I were to stick my neck out and on the line, as things currently stand, a play-off final between us and Barnsley seems the most likely.
    Good analysis, but looking at the more recent form guide Pompey are ahead of us for the last 6 games and just 1 point behind us over 10 games, so I can't see us catching them. Indeed I can see Barnsley slipping to 4th or even 5th

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england3
    True, however the previous 6 games before that Portsmouth had picked up only 5 points, Barnsley had picked up 14.

Since, Barnsley have picked up 9 points, Portsmouth 15.

They've essentially both had dips in form, just switched it around really.
  • Options
    Another good away day  - Still haven't seen us lose in 5 trips this season :-)

Proverbial game of two halves; didn't really deserve the lead at h/t but bossed 2nd half.  If their managers idea of us timewasting is us playing keep ball and sharp triangle while his players chase shadows then I want more of it

Good to bump into @charltonnick and @SE7toSG3 at half time too

• Options
    ross1 said:
    THANK YOU to all of today's traveling Addicks! Get home safely and we'll see you all at Wycombe on Tuesday night! #cafc

I’m in there, fame at last.
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    ross1 said:

I’m in there, fame at last.
    So am I, but I look awful 😂😂
  • Options
    That's one handsome away end. 
  • Options
    Off the defender for me......but I said that for Grants '1st" goal for Huddersfield & it got given to him, so Igor should just claim it.
    Wow. You really have taken him leaving badly. Particularly puzzling as you think he was rubbish anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    At the game yesterday and it had everything.

Played old mans football against Argyle today and they all thought we were the loudest away fans this season at HP. They also thought Dillon Phillips was brilliant and that Lyle is way to good for this division. They also told me that Argyle have money worries and Lameriras is out of contract and hasn't been offered a new one yet and he has been very good all season.

They seem to really like Charlton too.

I think we should get the H/T dancing troop up to the Valley, they would be perfect with the in-house DJ.