Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Fulham and Norwich have each been promoted twice, and relegated twice in the last couple of years.

But they've not faced each other since 2018
  • Options
    Forest Green, rock bottom and not won a game for 17 matches, faced a Sheffield Wednesday side who would go back to the top if they had won - a mere 55 points between the two sides. Result FGR 1 SW 0. Duncan Ferguson's first win as head coach too from 10 matches in charge. 
  • Options
    In Daniel Levy’s 20 years at Spurs he has had 10 full time head coach/mangers. Those ten have have won 61 trophies between them before and after being at Spurs, and those 10 between them have won 1 trophy whilst at THFC.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    In 2015-16 Coventry City had players of a certain calibre in their squad - they of course walked League 1 (actually they didn't even make the Play Offs in finishing 8th):

Joe Cole
    James Maddison
    Marc Antoine-Fortune
    Adam Armstrong
    Ryan Kent
    Jacob Murphy
    John Fleck
    Jack Stephens
    Sam Ricketts
    Ruben Lameiras
    Marcus Tudgay
    Zakara Bergdich

• Options
    In 2015-16 Coventry City had players of a certain calibre in their squad - they of course walked League 1 (actually they didn't even make the Play Offs in finishing 8th):

Joe Cole
    James Maddison
    Marc Antoine-Fortune
    Adam Armstrong
    Ryan Kent
    Jacob Murphy
    John Fleck
    Jack Stephens
    Sam Ricketts
    Ruben Lameiras
    Marcus Tudgay
    Zakara Bergdich
    He's never played for Coventry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakarya_Bergdich
  • Options

Joe Cole
    James Maddison
    Marc Antoine-Fortune
    Adam Armstrong
    Ryan Kent
    Jacob Murphy
    John Fleck
    Jack Stephens
    Sam Ricketts
    Ruben Lameiras
    Marcus Tudgay
    Zakara Bergdich
    He's never played for Coventry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakarya_Bergdich
    LOL so he didn't - I must have been looking at us when I looked up Tudgay!!!! The other 11 definitely did though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Paul Mullin has 39 goals in 44 appearances in the National League (31) and Cup (8) for Wrexham this season but that isn't even the best scoring record in the National League. That is held by Macaulay Langstaff who has found the net 39 times in 39 appearances in the League. To put that feat in perspective, the 3rd top scorer is Inih Effiong who is on 20 from 40 appearances - or put another way, Langstaff scores a goal every 85 minutes whereas Effiong does so every 165 minutes. What makes that even more impressive is that not one of Langstaff's goals is a penalty.  

The real question that needs answering is "did we sign the wrong Macaulay by mistake?" Edit - I've just checked and Bonne's best season in the Conference was 23 in 46 so, at the rate he is scoring at, Langstaff is set to double that. 
  • Options
    What's even more impressive about Langstaff's tally is that none of the 39 were penalties.

A lot of records are going to be broken in the National league this season. Top goalscorer, most goals by a team, most points.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    What's even more impressive about Langstaff's tally is that none of the 39 were penalties.

A lot of records are going to be broken in the National league this season. Top goalscorer, most goals by a team, most points.
    I added that bit before I read your comment - honest!
  • Options
    Paul Mullin has 39 goals in 44 appearances in the National League (31) and Cup (8) for Wrexham this season but that isn't even the best scoring record in the National League. That is held by Macaulay Langstaff who has found the net 39 times in 39 appearances in the League. To put that feat in perspective, the 3rd top scorer is Inih Effiong who is on 20 from 40 appearances - or put another way, Langstaff scores a goal every 85 minutes whereas Effiong does so every 165 minutes. What makes that even more impressive is that not one of Langstaff's goals is a penalty.  

The real question that needs answering is "did we sign the wrong Macaulay by mistake?" Edit - I've just checked and Bonne's best season in the Conference was 23 in 46 so, at the rate he is scoring at, Langstaff is set to double that. 
    Langstaff scored once again tonight to make it 40 goals in 40 games this season. That equals Ricky Miller's record for the National League for Dover in 2016/17
  • Options
    By the time Man United's game at Newcastle comes around on Sunday, they will have played just one away PL match in the previous seven weeks (and that one ended up with them losing 7-0). In fact, in that previous 10 weeks they will only have had two PL matches away from home out of a total of 16 matches played. And yet they've played the same number of games, home and away, in the PL. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    With the cliche saying: "You need a 20-goal Striker" etc.

Michael Owen for all his talents... Never scored more than 19-League goals in a Premier League season
  • Options
    Always find it mad Michael Owen won the ballon d'or, he was good but he wasn't the best player in the world, surely?

Although this might be my memory failing, but wasn't the FIFA World POTY the more prestigious award in the 90s/early 2000s?
  • Options
    Always find it mad Michael Owen won the ballon d'or, he was good but he wasn't the best player in the world, surely?

Although this might be my memory failing, but wasn't the FIFA World POTY the more prestigious award in the 90s/early 2000s?
    it's for the best player in (playing in) Europe 
  • Options

Yeah, fair enough, but when was the best player in the world last not playing in Europe?  So near enough the same thing now really.
  • Options

Yeah, fair enough, but when was the best player in the world last not playing in Europe?  So near enough the same thing now really.
    Figo won world player of the year when Owen won the B D'O so I think your earlier comment about World POTY being the more prestigious is spot on with the B D'O being a best of the rest 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton have won 6-0, but they've also kept their first clean sheet in six games...
  • Options
    Brentford have lost less games in the premier league so far this season (5) than Man U, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea 
  • Options
    If Man City conceded every shot on target they faced in 2017/18, they'd have still won the league.

Motherwell have won the Copa Del Ray.

Cristiano Ronaldo was Juventus' top scorer between 2011-20 even though he only joined in 2018.

The last team to beat Real Madrid in a European Cup Final was Aberdeen.
    This is definitely not true.
  • Options
    Brentford have lost less games in the premier league so far this season (5) than Man U, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea 

• Options
    If Man City conceded every shot on target they faced in 2017/18, they'd have still won the league.

Motherwell have won the Copa Del Ray.

Cristiano Ronaldo was Juventus' top scorer between 2011-20 even though he only joined in 2018.

The last team to beat Real Madrid in a European Cup Final was Aberdeen.
    This is definitely not true.
    Think this one was debunked by an analyst on Twitter, they would have finished 7th.
  • Options

That was ahead of Tuesday's game. So that will become fourth manager for his next game with Lampard taking charge.
  • Options
    Only Brentford have drawn more games than Newcastle this season